Connect with us

News

Nigerian woman sues husband over his marriage to another woman in Germany

Published

defiling

An FCT High Court, Jabi on Monday dissolved a five-year union between Lynda and her husband, Jude, on grounds that he was legally married to another woman in Germany.

Dike in her petition sought for the dissolution of the purported marriage through Sections 3 (1) (a) (d) and 34 of the Matrimonial Cause Act.

The sections which stipulated that any marriage purportedly celebrated when one of the parties was lawfully married to another then consent was obtained either by fraud or duress would be void.

The Act further stipulated that a petition for nullity can be instituted by the affected party.

Delivering judgment, Justice Charles Agbaza, held that the sole issue to be determined by the court was whether the petitioner had successfully made out a ground for the court to grant the relief she sought.

MORE READING!  Nigeria records new cases of coronavirus,total now

The judge further averred that Jude the respondent who was served with court processes, hearing notices did not file nor answer to the petition, but had legal representation and neither did he challenge the evidence of the petitioner, rather he rested his case on that of the petitioner

According to Agbaza,

“The implication of this is that the court will deem the unchallenged and uncontroverted evidence of the petitioner as true, correct ( as long as it is credible) and act on it.”

Agbaza concluded and said,

“Because the evidence brought by the petitioner was not challenged by the respondent, this petition succeeds and judgment is accordingly entered in favour of the petitioner in the following terms

“The court hereby pronounce a Decree of Nullity of the purported marriage conducted between Lynda and Jude on October 2, 2014 at the Federal Marriage Registry, Abuja, on the ground that the marriage is void.

“The court hereby grants an order nullifying the said marriage.”

In her petition, Dike said that when she married the respondent, he told her that he was not married.

MORE READING!  Osun records 24 new coronavirus cases

She further submitted that however, when she travelled to Germany to see the respondent and instead of taking her to the address she knew he lived, he took her to a different address.

According to the petitioner, when she demanded to be taken to the address where he lived, she was beaten up by the respondent.

MORE READING!  172 Nigerians evacuated from Uganda, Kenya arrive Abuja

She said this action prompted her to tail the respondent to the aforementioned address and that was when she discovered that he lived there with his German wife.

Dike added that she confronted the respondent and he admitted that he was married to the German woman and that they had been married for over a year before he came to Nigeria to marry her.

(NAN)

News

Enugu to take care of brutalised 10-year-old victim’s medical bills

Published

on

Enugu State Government has taken interest in the wellbeing of Miss Nneoma Nnadi, the 10-year-old victim of child abuse and domestic torture in the state.

The state government has promised to offset her medical bills and ensure that she receives adequate medical attention.

Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi also directed the Commissioner for Gender Affairs and Social Development, Rt. Hon. Princess Peace Nnaji, to immediately visit the victim at the hospital to ensure that she receives proper medical attention.

Nnaji, who was accompanied by the Chief Medical Director of ESUT Teaching Hospital, Parklane, Enugu, Prof. Hycienth Onah, to see the abused child, empathized with the victim and her immediate family and promised them that the state government will not take the matter lightly.

She said;

“We can never sweep it (matter) under the carpet”, pointing out that the act undermined the Child Rights Act.

Nnaji also thanked the neighbours for bringing the cruel incident to the public domain, describing them as “Good Samaritans”.

Responding, the mother of the victim, Mrs Nnedinso Nnadi, expressed gratitude to the state governor for the government’s concern and intervention, disclosing that it was a traumatic experience for the child and the entire family and asked God to reward all those who have played roles towards the rescue and treatment of their child.

MORE READING!  I caught my wife under her lover's bed stark [email protected], divorce us husband prays court

In his remark, the Chief Medical Director of ESUT Teaching Hospital, Parklane, Enugu, Prof. Onah, explained that the victim is responding to treatment and is being taken care of adequately,” adding that “her chances of full recovery are high”.

Police Command had, at the weekend, rescued the 10-year-old Nneoma Nnadi, whose guardians, an aunt and her husband maltreated.

A police bulletin from the commands’ spokesman, ASP Daniel Ndukwe Ezea, said the victim, Nneoma Nnadi, was being mistreated by her aunt whom she is living with to the extent of using different objects such as hot pressing iron, iron roads and nails to inflict grievous bodily harm as well as inserting pepper into her private part.

MORE READING!  Osun records 24 new coronavirus cases

The aunt, Ifeoma Ozougwu, and her husband, Jude Ozougwu, residents of Thinkers Corner, Enugu, were arrested by the police following a tip-off.

The police said

“Following credible information received at Enugu Area Command on 02/07/2020 at about 0900 hours, alleging that a woman in Akonameze Street, Thinker’s Corner, Enugu, inflicted degrees of injuries on her minor female ward, Operatives of the Command swiftly moved to the area where they rescued the victim, Nneoma Nnadi, aged 10, arrested the suspect, one Ifeoma Ozougwu, aged 24; and thereafter arrested her husband, one Jude Ozougwu, aged 40.

“On receipt of the visibly exhausted and traumatized victim, the Commissioner of Police, CP Ahmad Abdur-Rahman instructed the Area Commander to rush her to hospital for treatment. He bemoaned why the suspect will be so heartless to abuse and inflict such grievous injuries on another woman’s child left in her care and directed the immediate launch of a thorough investigation and prosecution of the suspect, her husband and any other culpable accomplices to the crime.

“The Commissioner further warned all those who may have been in the habit or are intending to maltreat and/or inflict grievous harm on susceptible children to desist forthwith, as the Command will not spare anyone found culpable in such inhuman acts that infringe on the dignity and fundamental human rights of children. He also advised parents/guardians to take responsibility, adequately care for their children/wards and train them with the fear of God Almighty.

“Meanwhile, preliminary investigation shows that suspect, who is victim’s relative and a mother of three (3), mistreats her to the extent of using different objects, including hot pressing iron, iron rod and nails to inflict several grievous bodily harm as well as inserting pepper into her private part.

Continue Reading

News

Osun records two COVID-19 deaths, 14 new cases

Published

on

 The Osun Government says it has recorded two coronavirus related deaths with 14 new cases in the state.

Dr. Rafiu Isamotu, the state’s Commissioner For Health made the disclosure in a statement in Osogbo on Sunday.

Isamotu said four patients had been discharged from the isolation and treatment center in the state after they tested negative to the virus.

MORE READING!  Eni, Shell aware of bribes in Nigeria case - Italy prosecutor

The commissioner said the new cases were discovered, following contact tracing of previously confirmed cases in the state.

He noted that with the new cases recorded, the number of confirmed cases in the state had risen to 165 with 95 active cases.

“With the latest development, the number of our active cases as of today is 95.

MORE READING!  Nigeria records new cases of coronavirus,total now

“We have 165 confirmed cases, out of which the state has successfully treated and discharged 63 patients while seven deaths have been recorded,” Isamotu said.

He appealed to residents of the state to always observe all the precautionary measures laid down by the state government against the spread of the virus.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Abia gov recovers from COVID-19
Continue Reading

News

Nigeria’s confirmed cases of COVID-19 exceed 28,000

Published

on

Nigeria’s tally of confirmed COVID-19 cases rose to 28, 167 on Saturday as 603 new infections were announced by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control(NCDC)

Six deaths were recorded from the virus, bringing the total number of confirmed deaths from the virus to 634.

The health agency in a tweet Saturday night said the new cases were reported in 19 states.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Fire guts CBN branch in Gombe

The 603 new cases are reported from 19 states- Lagos, Edo, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Rivers, Delta, Ogun, Kaduna, Plateau, Osun, Ondo, Enugu, Oyo, Borno, Niger, Nasarawa, Kebbi, Kano, Sokoto and Abia.

There was an increase in the number of confirmed cases reported on Saturday (603) compared to what was reported on Friday (454).

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Germany entering recovery stage in downturn, analysts say

Wednesday’s figure was the country’s highest yet.

All the reporting states already had at least a case of the virus.

As of the time of reporting, 35 states and the FCT have recorded at least a case of the disease. Only one state, Cross River, is yet to officially report any case of the virus although there are controversies about it.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Pray for Akeredolu, PDP aspirant, Okunomo urges Nigerians

Lagos remains the epicentre for the disease in the country. Zamfara has not reported any new confirmed case in the past 47 days.

 

Continue Reading




Trending