Connect with us

General

Nigerians attack fake immigration officers terrorising them in Indonesia (video)

Published

According to reports, Nigerians are said to have attacked fake immigration officers terrorizing them in Indonesia on Saturday, June 27.

This is coming days after a yet-to-be-identified Nigerian man jumped from the 9th floor of a 27-storey building in Gadin Nias, Jakarta, Indonesia in other to evade arrest.

Newsmen learnt that the fake Indonesian immigration officers came to the Green Park View apartment in Jakarta in the early hours of today, June 27 with a fake warrant of arrest.

MORE READING!  Man beats up woman at ATM stand (Video)

According to report, the wives of the Nigerians who are mostly Indonesians came out and demanded the identification cards of the officers but the alleged fake officers could not provide any, forcing the Nigerian men to descend on them.

 

 

WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW:

 

 

General

I advise other girls to try and make it in Nigeria, Lebanon was hell, lady narrates experience

Published

on

A Nigerian lady identified as Arowolo Olamide Temitope who was barred from boarding an evacuation flight to Nigeria by the Lebanese airport management after receiving orders from her employer in Lebanon has finally arrived in Nigeria.

Arowolo who was evacuated from Lebanon by the Federal Government on Saturday, July 11, narrated her ordeal while she was in the Middle Eastern country, warning young Nigerian girls against travelling abroad.

Arowolo, 31, was among 19 other victims who were received by officials of the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) and the House of Representatives Committee on Diaspora Affairs at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport In Abuja, on Saturday.

A video of Temitope made rounds on the internet regarding the violation of her human rights in Lebanon. In the viral video, Temitope reveals how she was beaten by one Mahmoud Zahran, the husband of her employer, Feyzeh Diab, on April 25, at their home in Choueifat, south of Beirut, after accusing her of stealing a phone.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: UK reveals when visa applications will resume in Nigeria

She went on to narrate instances of emotional, physical and sexual assault she went through from Zahran and Diab. After the video went viral, the Federal Government asked Lebanese authorities to bring her back to Nigeria.

Temitope, speaking to journalists at the Abuja airport, said Lebanon was like ‘hell‘ for her and cautioned Nigerian girls against being lured abroad.

She said,

“I’m happy being home. Going to Lebanon is like (going to) a hell. Nobody knows that will happen there. I advise other girls to stay here in Nigeria and try to make it the way the Lord puts them through, because going outside there was like a hell, not only in Lebanon. What I experienced in Lebanon, I pray even not for Satan to experience it.”

The Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Diaspora, Rep. Tolulope Akande-Sadipe (APC-Oyo) described Temitope’s return as “a dream come true.”

“Today, Temitope is back home, unfortunately, I will not allow her show her face, the whole issue has not come to an end we really want to understand what happened in court back in Lebanon.

“We are happy, she is happy to be back home.

“I hope this will be a sign to others young girls out there who want to go abroad for greener pastures to ensure that the circumstances they are going into are the expectations they have when they signed up for these agents,” she said.

Arowolo’s employer had accused her of stealing $5,000 and attempting to kill him. Her prosecution in court had been stalled as the accusers failed to show up, while she was granted bail.

MORE READING!  I advise other girls to try and make it in Nigeria, Lebanon was hell, lady narrates experience

The committee had, however, said it was established that Arowolo suffered abuse and sexual harassment from the husband of her employer, Mahmoud Zahran, during her sojourn in Lebanon.

Continue Reading

General

COVID-19: SERAP asks court to compel govs to fund healthcare with security votes

Published

on

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has filed a lawsuit asking the Federal High Court, Abuja to “direct and compel 36 state governors to use public funds budgeted for security votes, and life pensions for former governors to fund healthcare facilities and to address the impact of COVID-19 on millions of Nigerians, as well as publish details of spending on COVID-19 in their respective states.”

In the suit number FHC/ABJ/CS/757/2020 filed last Friday, SERAP is seeking: “an order for leave to apply for judicial review and an order of mandamus to direct and compel the 36 state governors to disclose how much they have individually collected from the Federal Government as COVID-19 support, from private donations and other sources, as well as details of spending of any such funds and donations.”

SERAP is also seeking: “a declaration that the failure of the 36 state governors to respond in a satisfactory way to SERAP’s requests amount to a fundamental breach of the FoI Act, the 1999 Nigerian Constitution (as amended), and the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.”

The suit followed SERAP’s Freedom of Information (FoI) requests dated 25 April 2020, expressing concern that: “many state governors are spending scarce state resources to pay themselves security votes and their predecessors’ life pensions rather than using public funds to effectively respond to COVID-19 by investing in and improving public healthcare facilities in their states.”

The organization revealed that only two governors—Kaduna State governor, Mr. Nasir El-Rufai and Kwara State governor, Mr. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq—responded to its FoI requests. While “governor El-Rufai claimed that the FoI is inapplicable in Kaduna state, governor Abdulrazaq stated that the information requested by SERAP is protected from disclosure by the FoI.”

MORE READING!  In Dubai, vacancies are for Africans but Nigerians can't apply (Photos)

Governor El-Rufai claimed: “The FoI is binding only on the Federal Government and its agencies, the Federal Capital Territory, and the states that choose to domesticate it. We are therefore not bound to respond to your request using the threat of an FoI Act that is inapplicable in our State.”

Governor El-Rufai also said: “Should you choose to rephrase your request as a citizen or voter in Kaduna, to whom we are accountable under OGP commitments, I will direct the relevant departments of government to respond. Our version of FoI is with the State House of Assembly for domestication.”

Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq in his own response to SERAP said: “the category of the information you requested is protected from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.”

But SERAP in the suit said: “By a combined reading of the FoI Act, the Nigerian Constitution, and the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights, which is applicable throughout the country, governors El-Rufai and Abdulrazaq and other 34 governors ought to be compelled to invest in healthcare facilities, and to tell Nigerians how they are spending COVID-19 funds and donations in their states.”

The suit filed on behalf of SERAP by its counsel, Kolawole Oluwadare and Atinuke Adejuyigbe read, in part: “The 36 governors have a responsibility to act in the interest of Nigerian citizens and residents in their states under the Code of Conduct for Public Officers [Fifth Schedule Part 1] of the Nigerian Constitution, and Oath of Office of Governor of a State in Seventh Schedule to the Constitution.”

“The crux of SERAP’s argument is better expressed in the following questions: What is the economic benefit of appropriation of security votes and pension to former governors and deputy governors to the citizens of Nigeria during a pandemic? Why should the governors spend so much on a relatively negligible percentage of the population at the expense of the majority of the citizens?”

MORE READING!  Gombe launches 2020 tree planting campaign

“The office of a governor is created by Section 176 of the Constitution, and the governors are vested with powers to act as members of the executive pursuant to Section 5[2] and [3] of the Constitution. These statutory functions, among other duties of the governors, are guided by rules including the Oath of Office of Governor of a State.”

“The oath of office of governors is integral to the honest performance of their functions in the public interest. The oath is considered of such importance that Section 185[1] of the Constitution provides that the governors can perform their respective official functions only after taking the oath of office.”

“It can be inferred that appropriation of hundreds of millions of Naira for security votes and payment of pensions to former governors in the face of glaring socio-economic effects of COVID-19 on citizens and residents can only be in the personal interests of the governors and their colleagues, in clear conflict with the public interest and well-being and prosperity of the country and its people.”

“Majority of Nigerians continue to live in poverty and without access to basic necessities of life such as healthcare, and clean water, as established by the National Bureau of Statistics in its 2019 Report.”

“The unconscionable allocations to security votes and pensions for former governors are happening at a critical time that Nigeria requires urgent infrastructural development to lift itself out of the quagmire of poverty and underdevelopment in response to the harsh realities of COVID-19 pandemic on the people.”

MORE READING!  WHO set to begin study on origin of Covid-19

“The 36 governors ought to be directed and compelled to use the budgets for security votes and life pensions for former governors to improve the healthcare facilities in their respective states, provide palliatives and reliefs, and to address the impact of COVID-19 on citizens and residents of their respective states.”

“The 36 governors ought to be directed and compelled to provide details of palliatives and reliefs that they have provided to the most vulnerable people, including the list of beneficiaries, details of what they are doing to improve testing for COVID-19, isolation centers, as well as ensure safe protective equipment for health workers.”

“The 36 governors ought to be directed and compelled to provide details of what they are doing to ensure full respect for human rights of everyone and access to justice for victims of human rights violations and abuses during and linked to COVID-19, as well as any support they are providing to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) to improve its capacity to respond to COVID-19.”

“This suit is of public concern as it bothers on issues of national interest, public welfare, and interest, social justice, good governance, transparency, and accountability. The right to truth allows Nigerians to gain access to information on what their state governments have done or are doing to cushion the socio-economic effects of COVID-19 on Nigerians.”

No date has been fixed for the hearing of the suit.

Continue Reading

General

Minister assures private sector of govt’s support to reboot economy

Published

on

 

The Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Chief Niyi Adebayo, has assured the Organised Private Sector of Nigeria (OPSN) of the government’s support to its efforts to reboot the economy in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Mr. Ayoola Olukanni, Director-General, Nigerian Association of Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA), said in a statement on Sunday that the minister gave the assurance at a private meeting with the OPSN.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that members of the OPSN at the meeting were the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA) and Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA).

MORE READING!  I had no idea I was pregnant until the day of delivery, woman narrates

Others were the Nigerian Association of Small and Medium Enterprises (NASME) and the Nigerian Association of Small Scale Industrialists (NASSI).

Adebayo said that his ministry would support and work closely with the private sector as the government works to reboot the economy in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The minister reaffirmed the role the private sector had to play in the bid to restart the economy of the nation.

He said that the series of stimulus packages would be made available soon to assist operators and operations in the private sector.

“These include an N50 billion survival funds for MSME; and an N15 billion Guaranteed Uptake Scheme to save 500,000 jobs,” Adebayo said.

He also revealed that under some of these interventions, 40 percent of the funds were reserved for women-owned businesses.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Kenyan schools told to refund 2020 school fees

Also, Olukanni said the meeting discussed and agreed that the implementation of projects and programs under the Economy Sustainability Plan recently approved by the National Executive Council would be in close cooperation with members of OPSN.

In her remarks, the OPSN President Hajiya Saratu Iya Aliyu lauded the minister for the opportunity given to the private sector to present its positions and requests.

MORE READING!  Outrage as Dubai firm bars Nigerians from applying for job openings

Iya Aliyu called for closer ties between the OPSN and the Ministry of Industry, Trade, and Investment, especially as the country struggles to save and reboot the economy.

She said the present situation truly presented an opportunity to diversify the economy and make it more self-reliant, adding that steps must be taken toward the attainment of the goal.

Other issues discussed at the meeting were Maritime Port Reforms; Appropriate Gas pricing; Special Economic Zones and Industrial Clusters, as well as stable and regular power supply.

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading




Trending