Connect with us

Student's Life

NIN for UTME: Students, parents share horrific experiences

Published

Some students preparing to write this year’s Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), on Saturday,  said they feared They won’t sit for the examination had the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) not suspended its directive on the possession of National Identification Number (NIN) as a requirement for the examination.

However, prospective candidates who had successfully registered and obtained the NIN reserving no pleasant words for JAMB for subjecting them to unnecessary hardship.

Some parents and other stakeholders commended JAMB for the decision to put the policy on hold, describing it as a right step in the right direction.

Tolani (surname withheld), a prospective candidate, who reluctantly spoke in an interview on Saturday, in Ibadan, Oyo State, narrated her experience and those of others at the Ibadan office of the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC).

For two weeks, beginning from before Christmas, I was getting to the NIMC office before 8.00 a.m. every day, and I was not leaving until past 3.00 p.m.

“I only wanted to collect the NIN; I had already registered for the identity card more than a month before then, but I was only issued a temporary slip, without the NIN, and was asked to come back to be assigned the NIN. There were many others like me.

“We returned home every day in frustration. They would either tell us there was no network on their computer, or that they had “no data” from Abuja. Yet, we saw some people drive in, in jeeps with their children and they were attended to.”

Tolani said that at a point on one of those days, a female official of the NIMC offered to help her obtain the NIN if she could part with N1000.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Churches, mosques, schools get reopening dates in Ekiti

She did not have the money that day, but, according to her, the parents, even though they didn’t like the development, gave her the money when she was going the following day, out of desperation not to make her miss another year of UTME registration.

Mr Jonathan Amande, a civil servant, who said he conveyed two of his children around some of the NIMC enrollment centres in Mararaba, Nasarawa State to some city centres in Abuja on Thursday in vain, noted that the experience was bad.

MORE READING!  Tension in Benue State University over coronavirus

He called on the Federal Government to release adequate fund to the commission so as to expand their enrollment centres across the country in order to make the exercise seamless.

Amande said he was not against the use of NIN for UTME registration but insisted that the right thing must be done by providing the necessary facilities and equipment for the exercise before coming up with such a policy that would have far-reaching implication on the people.

Mrs Margret Ibezem, a social worker in Abuja, said even though one of the children preparing to register for the UTME had succeeded in obtaining the NIN, she noted that the decision to suspend the use of NIN was right.

Some parents in Ondo State disclosed that officials of the agency had been using the rush to extort money from both the students and parents who visit the NIMC office for registration.

They claimed the officials work in connivance with some touts who act as agents for the NIMC officials.

A parent and lecturer at Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti, Mr Joel Adekunle, expressed displeasure over the activities of some officials of the NIMC, alleging that “these people never show any compassion towards the candidates who are young persons.

“I was there days ago and I can see what candidates are being made to face before registering for this exercise.”

A parent from Ilorin, the Kwara State capital, Mrs Dolapo Afolayan, also described the decision as a big relief, saying that the Nigerian factor made a mess of the essence of the registration.

“Is it the money or time wasted so far or the stress? No matter the necessity of the registration or the essence, Nigerian factor has made mess of it all. Non-availability of computers is the major challenge in my own observation,” she said.

Another parent from the state, Mr Usman Abdulkadir, said

“My concern is that most people, especially, parents would relax now with the suspension, waiting for next rush. I got it done because we started early since the announcement. Since, it’s the government’s policy, we should obey. That’s my take.”

Culled from Nigerian Tribune

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Churches, mosques, schools get reopening dates in Ekiti

News

COVID-19: Churches, mosques, schools get reopening dates in Ekiti

Published

on

Kayode Fayemi

Worship centres and schools in Ekiti State will reopen in July, Governor Kayode Fayemi said on Tuesday.

Fayemi said the state government would reopen places of worship and schools across the state effective from July 17 and 20 respectively.

Fayemi also said that the state had taken an N2.5bn Life Insurance cover of N2m each for 500 frontline medical personnel involved in the COVID-19 assignment, saying the move was in addition to the prompt payment of COVID-19 special allowances to qualified cadres.

The governor, who spoke in a statewide broadcast on Tuesday evening, said, as part of efforts to curtail and contain community spread which chances were high with the present development, said,

“Our random community testing starting with Ikere Ekiti Council on July 1, 2020 and moving from council to council”.

He said,

“Efforts are now in top gear to ensure our children return to school from July 20, 2020 as recommended by the interface between the Ministry of Education and all stakeholders in the education sector”.

Fayemi, who said the schools’ resumption would be in phases starting with students in terminal classes (SS3, JSS3 and Primary six) to prepare for their examinations, said, “Other classes will be gradually absorbed as schools meet all requirements to accommodate them safely and responsibly”.

“As jointly agreed with the leadership of the faith community, religious worship centres may resume controlled services from Friday July 17, 2020 starting with worship services once a week; Friday Jumat for Muslims and Saturday and Sunday Services for Christians.

“This is however subject to strict and full compliance with the regulations regarding worship centres which include social distancing of six-feet between worshippers, hand washing and face masks,” the governor said.

He added,

“By the current assessment of the situation and the advice of the experts, we have decided to proceed as follows: Free unhindered movement will continue Mondays – Fridays only from 6:00 am to 8:00pm daily while Dusk to Dawn Curfew will be enforced 8:00pm – 5:59 am seven days a week.

“There shall continue to be a restriction of movement at weekends (Saturday and Sunday) until July 19, subject to the conditional relaxation of church attendance on Saturdays and Sundays. In conformity with the Federal Government directive, the ban on travel to and from Ekiti State is hereby lifted except during the Dusk to Dawn curfew daily.

“The ban on large gathering of more than 20 persons except on approved worship days continues. Social, political or business gatherings like parties, burials, meetings, bars, viewing centres, sports meet must not exceed 20 persons and must comply with prevention protocols of six-feet social distancing, face masks and hand washing,” he said.

MORE READING!  Tension in Benue State University over coronavirus
Continue Reading

Student's Life

Tension in Benue State University over coronavirus

Published

on

As the number of coronavirus rises in Benue, tension has heightened following the failure of the state government to further disclose the identity of the victims.

It will be recalled that the State Governor, Samuel Ortom, had all along revealed the identity of people earlier tested positive to the virus, this he hinged on the appropriate way to stem the spread of the virus.

Since the figure continues to climb, the governor had stopped to disclose the identity of the victims.

This has heightened tension, particularly, that the authority of Benue State University decontaminated the school yesterday.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Churches, mosques, schools get reopening dates in Ekiti

The decontamination of the school was allegedly hinged on the report that some management staff of the University already tested positive to COVID-19.

A member of the State Committee on COVID-19 who did not want his name mentioned revealed that top management staff of the State University tested positive to coronavirus.

Reacting to the allegation, head of the Information unit of the University, Terzungwe Tservanger dismissed the report, saying that the decontamination of the entire school was in preparation for the resumption of students.

“There is nothing like the VC or any other top management staff of the University tested positive to coronavirus, decontamination of the school was in preparation for the resumption of students,” Tservanger said.

When contacted, the secretary of the State Action Committee on COVID-19 and Commissioner for Health and Human Services, Dr. Sunday Ongbabo, declined comment on the issue, stating that given the identity of people who tested positive to COVID-19 in the state noo would further heighten tension.

MORE READING!  Tension in Benue State University over coronavirus

Dr. Ongbabo, however, said that the state had recorded 65 cases as at Monday, June 30, 2020, and enjoined people of the state to be more serious by adhering to all the precautionary measures of social distancing, hand washing, use of face masks among others to stay safe.

He urged everyone to see the next person as a suspect stressing that people should shun the idea of seeing the virus as a fluke.

“This is not the time to be releasing the identity of those tested positive to the disease because it will further heighten tension in the state.

“As on Monday, the state had recorded 65 cases. Of the number, 44 have been treated and discharged,” Ongbabo said.

 

MORE READING!  Tension in Benue State University over coronavirus

 

Continue Reading

News

WAEC limits exam towns for WASSCE second series

Published

on

WAEC

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has opened registration for the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) for Private Candidates, 2020 – Second Series with a note to candidates to check the examination towns’ list before registering.

According to the advert for the examination signed by the Council’s Head of National Office (HNO), Mr. Patrick Areghan, 36 subjects would be examined during the examination, which does not have a fixed date yet because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Churches, mosques, schools get reopening dates in Ekiti

Usually, the examination holds between August and October every year.

The online registration is open until July 31, 2020.

However, Areghan warned interested candidates to find out if their preferred location would be listed as examination towns as only urban centres would be used for the examination.

“The examination will be urban-based and will be conducted at a period to be announced in due course. Thirty-Six (36) subjects would be available for the examination. Intending candidates are advised to visit the Council’s corporate website – www.waecnigeria.org to confirm available examination towns and subjects before obtaining the registration PIN,” he said.

MORE READING!  Tension in Benue State University over coronavirus

Lagos has the highest number of examination towns listed – 27 – followed by Ogun with 16, and Rivers State with 13.

While registration for the examination cost N13,950, those who register after the deadline as ‘walk-in candidates, would have to pay N30,500 to write the examination as long as they register a day before the paper they desire to write.

“Candidates, who wish to register for the examination after the close of entries may be accommodated as ‘Walk-in-Candidates’, provided they register not less than 24 hours to the scheduled time of the paper(s) they intend to write. The ‘Walk-in-Candidates’ fee is N30, 500.00 only.

The HNO said once candidates access the site, they must conclude their registration within two weeks.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Churches, mosques, schools get reopening dates in Ekiti
Continue Reading




Trending