Connect with us

Politics

No date yet for reopening of Nigeria’s borders, President Buhari insists

Published

Buhari 2023

President Muhammadu Buhari says he has not given any date for the reopening of the land borders.

He said that the closure would remain until the situation improved.

The president said that the country’s domestic fuel consumption had dropped by more than 30 per cent since the closure.

Malam Garba Shehu, the President’s spokesperson, in a statement in Abuja on Monday, said the president made the disclosure when he received a delegation of Katsina State Elders Forum in his country home in Daura, Katsina State.

Bihari said his administration’s directive on the border closure was meant to curb smuggling, especially rice, and that so far, the closures had saved the country huge sums on import bills.

He said his administration was betting on the same measures to rekindle the country’s agricultural rebirth.

MORE READING!  Lawyer drags Buhari, Senate to court over appointment of Judges

The president lauded actions taken by the President of Niger Republic, Muhammadou Youssoufou, including the dismissal of officials and a ban on the use of the country as a dumping ground for Nigeria-bound smuggled goods.

Buhari noted that the measures taken by Niger were helpful and supportive of Nigeria’s goals.

He acknowledged the hardship of border communities following the ban on the sale of fuel at stations 20km to the border, a restriction that also saw to the closure of all fuel stations in his native home, Daura.

”Farmers must be protected, dishonesty is deep-rooted in the country. Otherwise, the border closure would not have been warranted,” he said.

He said the restriction was a temporary measure as the Nigerian Customs Service needed to ascertain outlets involved in real sale of products and those being used for smuggling.

MORE READING!  Ondo deputy gov asks court to jail 26 lawmakers for contempt

Buhari told the delegation that he intended forging ahead with poverty alleviation schemes and the agricultural and livestock reforms started by the administration in the first term since the election was behind him and a government now in place.

He explained that the reforms, especially those relating to the settlement of livestock farmers would take time to accomplish.

He said that his deliberate choice of tested farmers as his past and current ministers of agriculture was informed by the need to carry his vision through.

Earlier in his remark, the representative of the Chairman of the Elders Forum, Alhaji Aliyu Saulawa, commended the achievements of the President and Gov. Aminu Masari of Katsina State in curbing the menace of bandits, kidnappers and cattle rustlers.

MORE READING!  12 suspected drug traffickers nabbed in three months in Niger – NDLEA

He, however, drew a long list of requests which included a special intervention fund to assist victims of attacks, completion of the 10 megawatts wind power project in the state, setting up of a North-West Development Commission and setting up of Ruga farm settlements.

According to him, farm settlements are urgently needed by herders.

The Elders Forum also made a case for numerous infrastructure projects for the state, as well as for keener Federal Government’s scrutiny of benefits of social investment schemes.

The president promised to look into their requests.

The President added that his constituency was the whole country, and expressed his determination to be fair to all, including those that voted him into the office and those that did not. (NAN)

Politics

I am still in the governorship race -Akeredolu

Published

on

Gov. Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State says he is still in the State’s Governorship race in the Oct. 10 election.

This follows rumours of his disqualification from participating in the July 20 governorship primary election of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

The Newsmen reports that the screening, which took place from July 8 to July 10 in Abuja, was for the 12 APC governorship aspirants in the state.

MORE READING!  Ondo deputy gov asks court to jail 26 lawmakers for contempt

Mr Ojo Oyewamide, Senior Special Assistant to the governor on Media and Publicity, in a statement on Sunday in Akure, said the rumour was a ploy to distract supporters of Akeredolu.

He explained that it was another distraction “unleashed with the aim of deceiving the unsuspecting public and diverting attention from the self-imposed pains on the part of those behind the story.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Akpabio denies collecting N500m NDDC projects

“They are scavengers and will stop at nothing to sustain their trade of deceit. Ignore them, remain firm, be dedicated and prayerful.

“Akeredolu is not just participating at the party primary. He shall be re-elected by the Grace of God, come October 10, 2020.

“The governor, therefore, appeals to all his supporters to ignore the rumour and dedicate this period to God for His continuous grace, favour and protection,” he said.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Ondo Assembly suspends Deputy Speaker
Continue Reading

Politics

Ex-Oyo commissioner, Fatai Abimbola dies in car accident

Published

on

Kano: Auto crash injures five, kills five

A former Commissioner in Oyo State, Honorable Fatai Abimbola is dead, Daily Post reports.

It was gathered on Saturday that Abimbola, a native of Ibadan, the state capital died in a road accident on Friday.

Abimbola who is fondly known as Abogun served as a commissioner under the government of the immediate past Governor, Senator Abiola Ajimobi.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Ondo Assembly suspends Deputy Speaker

A source said that Abimbola died in a road accident along the Lagos-Ibadan expressway on Friday.

A former Special Assistant (Students Matters) to Ajimobi, Mr Afeez Mobolaji, confirmed the death of the former Commissioner in a post on his Facebook page Friday night.

Mobolaji said, “Rest in peace, Mogaji Abogun.”

Another aide of the immediate past Governor, Mr Wale Sadeeq also confirmed the death of the former Commissioner.

MORE READING!  Ondo deputy gov asks court to jail 26 lawmakers for contempt
Continue Reading

Politics

Donald Trump wears mask in public for first time

Published

on

Donald Trump

President of the United States of America, Donald Trump wore a mask in public for the first time during a visit to a military hospital a short helicopter ride from the White House on Saturday evening.

The president’s decision to wear a mask came as cases of coronavirus surged to record levels in the US and after aides and experts urged Trump to follow his own government’s guidelines on face coverings.

MORE READING!  Lawyer drags Buhari, Senate to court over appointment of Judges

Trump flew to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in suburban Washington DC to meet wounded service members and health care providers caring for Covid-19 patients.

Donald Trump was wearing a black mask as he walked down the entryway of Walter Reed medical centre accompanied by hospital staff, marking the first time he has been seen wearing a protective face-covering in public.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Ondo Assembly suspends Deputy Speaker

The president did not stop to take questions from the White House pool before turning down a hallway.

His meeting with injured troops and staff is closed to the press.

The only other time Trump was spotted wearing a mask was behind the scenes during a tour of a Ford plant in Michigan back in May.

“I think when you’re in a hospital, especially in that particular setting where you’re talking to a lot of soldiers and people that in some cases just got off the operating tables, I think it’s a great thing to wear a mask,” Trump said before boarding Marine One en route to the hospital. “I’ve never been against masks, but I do believe they have a time and a place.”

Continue Reading




Trending