The National Association of the Parent-Teacher Association [PTA] has disagreed with the Federal Government over the attempt to feed pupils at home during the lockdown period.
The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari, during his nationwide broadcast on March 29 had said the school feeding programme would not be affected by the lockdown.
“Although, schools are closed, I have instructed the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development to work with State Governments in developing a strategy on how to sustain the school feeding program during this period without compromising our social distancing policies. The Minister will be contacting the affected States and agree on detailed next steps.”
The President of the association, Mr Haruna Danjuma, in an interview, said it would be difficult to sustain the school feeding programme during the lockdown.
“As a parent body, we are in support of the school feeding programme, we are as well looking for ways to augment whatever the Federal Government is offering. We want the Federal Government to allow the PTA to be part of the implementation so that we can know the types of meals they are giving to our children. There is the need to carry us along in whatever they are giving to our children.
“However, we must say that we don’t know how the Federal Government intends to implement the policy during the lockdown period. I don’t think they can reach any of the pupils now, because the schools are lockdown. Maybe we have to wait for the president to see how he intends to implement this. We are not aware of this plan and we don’t know how they want to realise this.”
Also, the National Publicity Secretary of the Association, Dr Ademola Ekundayo, while corroborating Danjuma said the school feeding programme would not achieve its purpose if the Federal Government continues with it during the lockdown.
“To us parents, we see the idea of continuing the school feeding programme during the lockdown as a scam because there is no way it will work. Even parents were not carried along; I don’t know whether the headmasters or principals will be the ones searching for the houses of the pupils and be giving them raw foods as they promised.
“I do not know how they got into that conclusion. I believe all those materials will end up in private purses. There is no way it will work, we should stop deceiving ourselves.”
Nigerian teenager wins Google Code-In 2019 grand prize
In the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) last year (2019), Jayaike Ndu scored seven As, which includes Further Mathematics, and two Bs.
But he didn’t stop there; this 17-year-old has his eyes riveted on being a global player, and it seems to be falling into place already.
He has been declared the grand prize winner in the recently completed Google Code-In competition, the first Nigerian and tied fifth African to achieve the feat since the inception of the competition 10 years ago.
Jayaike designed and developed Nigeria’s first online library and self-assessment tool for medical students in 2019, www.medlib.com.ng
With over 250 course notes uploaded, the website comes in handy for Nigerian medical students.
According to iexclusive.com, Jayaike’s journey into Google’s Code-In competition started in 2019. Google Code-In is a competition for software developers between the ages of 13 and 17 years. Competitors have to work with an open-source company and help improve their existing software.
As of 2019, there were a total of 29 organisations in GC-I.
The 2019 Google Code-In started on December 2, 2019, about 6 pm.
He recounted his journey to the coveted prize:
“I joined the competition at about 8pm on that day. Prior to the competition, I had six days to learn one of the programming frameworks needed (Angular) for the organisation. I was going to work with (CloudCV) which I felt was not sufficient to learn the framework.
“However, I worked for extra hours during the day and at night to have enough knowledge to get me started. CloudCV is the name of the organisation I worked with. It is an organisation for evaluating state-of-the-art in Artificial Intelligence (AI). They have a very robust backend (server-side code).
“Once I joined the competition, I did some user interface design to get myself acquainted with their software. Immediately I finished with my first task I headed into the next task which was some server-side related task. After claiming the task, I realised that my computer system could not run their development environment due to low processing power and RAM. I knew it was too late to choose another company, leaving me with one option: Code without testing (also known as coding blindly)!
“After about five tasks, I skyrocketed to the top of the leader board which encouraged me to keep going even with my laptop issues. I had already let my mentors know about my laptop plight and that I would do my best to get the work done.
“Just when I thought that things could not get any worse, I realised that the concept of their backend code is something I was not familiar with. Luckily, I have a very supportive family who encouraged me to learn the new concept even if it took a load of hard work. After about a day of non-stop coding and YouTube videos, I had learnt how to work on the task. I submitted my task and awaited the mentor’s response. He accepted my code! It was surreal. I continued in the competition solving tasks that no other competitor had done–the hard ones especially. I also contributed heavily to the developer community.
“As the competition’s end was nigh, my computer system was slowly giving up, but I was able to make it through to the end of the competition. I felt great just knowing that I had learnt so many new things from the organisation.
“On the 2nd of February, 2020, I received an email from Google that I had been selected as a grand prize winner for the Google Code-In competition which made me the first Nigerian to ever win it and the tied fifth African. It was an amazing experience to work with Google and real-world organisations.”
Jayaike, a dual citizen of Nigeria and Ireland, wrote his first book, Starting School and other Stories, at 7. He wrote his second book, The City of Asmordion: The Beginning, at 10.
He was a regional taekwondo champion in Cork, Ireland, at 10 (2013). He made his first app for the National Orientation Agency (NOA) and got a Letter of Recommendation from the agency in 2016 at the age of 13.
S*xual assault: LASU student affirms claims of UNILAG students, names self a victim
A female student from the Lagos State University, LASU, also affirmed the claims of her UNILAG colleagues, alleging that Dr Suraj did similar things to her while he was still working with the varsity.
“I was one of his regular culprits. I swear, I did nothing. LASU mass communication knows him well. He left my school before he went to UNILAG so the accusation against him is true,” she said.
“What those girls said, that’s his method to get you to come to his office. He’d freaking force himself on you, start caressing someone till you forcefully let go of his grip. I must confess I have PTSD.”
The claims against Suraj are coming months after an undercover investigation exposed a UNILAG lecturer who solicited sex for grades, after which a number of academics therein were suspended.
When contacted, the accused lecturer, dismissed all the allegations made against him.
He also charged the alleged victims to come and make their claims before him.
“I don’t know these students. Perhaps I could have their names so that I can know who they are. Because when it comes to this issue of sexual assault, it’s a very trendy thing that so many people on social media are interested in. We know there have been issues like that,” Suraj told TheCable Lifestyle.
“And there have been campaigns against them. Anybody can be accused especially when it comes to social media where people want to attract attention and bloggers want to make sure they attract traffic. Anybody that hits the limelight becomes a target.
“If a lecturer is a type that is very strict in class or doesn’t give marks unnecessarily and you’re becoming difficult for them. They try to get him out. I’m not excusing others who have been found in situations like that. But these could be a function of blackmail.”
Two UNILAG students accuse lecturer of ‘sexual assault, groping’
Three Nigerian students have accused Suraj Olunifesi, a lecturer of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), of sexual assault in varying claims, but the academic dismissed all allegations.
In the past few days, social media platforms have been inundated with vivid accounts by alleged victims of sexual assault after Vera Omozuwa, a student of the University of Benin (UNIBEN), died from injuries sustained after she was raped.
In a fresh wave of allegations, two students from UNILAG and another from the Lagos State University (LASU) accused Suraj, who holds a doctorate degree in mass communication, of groping them after a summon to his office.
One of the students, who pleaded anonymity in an account obtained by TheCable Lifestyle, said she started avoiding classes and her department after non-consensual advances were made at her by the lecturer.
“I have dirt on Dr Suraj. I was sexually harassed by him. It happened one time he seized something of mine in class and asked me to collect it back after class. I went to his office after class and he asked me to wait for him to attend to other students first,” she wrote.
“After he was done, I entered his office and he asked me to sit. I asked him for my stuff which he seized and he said he would give me if I answered some questions. He started asking about school and random stuff before he asked if I was a virgin.
“I got nervous and started laughing it off trying not to answer. He, then, said that he was trying to be my friend. It was around 8 pm at that time cause he held us back in class till 7 pm. I stood up and told him that I had friends to meet for dinner at that time and that I couldn’t stay.
“Then, the next thing he did shocked me. He stood up and asked me to hug him. I couldn’t say anything. He came closer and insisted. When I didn’t do anything, he hugged me himself. I tried to prevent as much close contact as I could and he asked me to come closer. I wriggled out of his hold.
“And he asked me, ‘Did you feel me?’ I didn’t know what he meant for a minute and I replied, ‘No sir’. He tried to hug me again. This time, I felt his hard-on. He started rubbing it on my laps and breathing hard. I was conflicted. I didn’t know how to push him away without offending him as a lecturer.
“I gave a nervous laugh and freed myself after some moments and he asked me again if I felt him. I told him. ‘Yes Sir’ and he asked if I was okay with it. I said I wasn’t. Then he asked if I wanted more. I didn’t answer. I just said I had to go and ran out of his office. Since that day, I started avoiding his classes.
“I stopped hanging around the department after classes for fear of seeing him and asking me to come to his office. When he finally saw me again, he asked me to follow him to his office and started asking me if we had any issues ’cause I had not visited him again since the last time.
“I just replied that I had been really busy. I try not to meet his eyes anytime I see him in the department and I even have some friends he has tried it on with.”
“70 per cent of girls in mass communication can attest to the claims.”
Another student of UNILAG also gave a similar account involving the same lecturer. She, however, claimed that the majority of female students in her department could attest to her story.
“I school at the University of Lagos, mass communication to be precise. I was molested by DR SURAJ in the department. He’s got a wife with kids yet he still molests female students, touching them in sensitive parts, making them feel uncomfortable,” the second victim narrated.
“I can’t say my name or even use my real twitter account because some lecturers follow me. It was a Friday, he invited me to his office, tried to force a kiss on me, he held my hands tightly but I shrugged it off and ran. Till today, I can’t stop thinking about it. This man is popular in school.
“70% of girls in mass comm have a story to tell or knows someone with a story to tell. They’re just scared. I hope they see this and speak up because nobody would speak up for them. During the whole ‘Sex for grade’ thing, I wished and prayed they catch him but he wasn’t caught.”
Police arrest man over death of elephant in India
Alleged rapist: El-Rufai’s wife suggests tougher punishment
NiMet predicts cloudiness, thunderstorm Sunday to Tuesday
Obaseki does not deserve second term – Ogiemwonyi
CAN gets new exco in Plateau
See how dashing Rita Dominic looks in new photo
Sokoto discharges all 101 COVID-19 patients
Yvonne Jegede talks about her crashed marriage, liposuction
Covid-19 can enter the body through the eyes, Scientists warn
Odumeje finally reveals the source of his power (Video)
Zubby Michael’s testimony video in Odumeje’s Church surfaces after he denied the prophet
Africans no longer wanted in China, says NIDCOM Chair
Nigeria records 176 new COVID-19 cases, total now 5,621
Lagos: Banker commits suicide, leaves note for his girlfriend, dad
COVID-19: Political Parties hold rallies in Burundi ahead of poll
Cameroon Pastor, who cured COVID-19 patients by laying of hands, dies of same virus
Video: I almost committed suicide, says Babcock student accused of raping 24 girls and his cousin
Video: Big legal problem? In Nigeria, men cannot be raped, lawyer says
Mother in tears as her daughter, 4, narrates how she was raped by school teacher (video)
Comedian Oluwadolarz responds to rape allegations
Uwa Omozuwa: Father of victim finally speaks (video)
Nigerian businessman, accused of theft, beaten to death in India [Video]
Again, police arrest Bobrisky in Lekki (video)
White woman lies against black man in New York Park, gets sacked (Video)
Metro3 days ago
Mother in tears as her daughter, 4, narrates how she was raped by school teacher (video)
Metro2 days ago
Full autopsy report reveals George Floyd tested positive for Coronavirus
General3 days ago
Rivers may demolish markets for flouting COVID-19 directives, says Commissioner
Entertainment3 days ago
Alleged rape: Lady who accused D’banj reveals herself, shares Whatsapp screenshots as proof
Entertainment2 days ago
F*ck all so called men of God, 2Face fumes
Crime2 days ago
Man, 25, breaks into 70-year-old woman’s house in Ogun, rapes her
Coronavirus2 days ago
WHO to resume trial of hydroxychloroquine on COVID-19
General2 days ago
After 14-years in coma, ‘sleeping’ Saudi Prince moves his head for the first time (Video)