Connect with us

Coronavirus

Corps members react after NYSC shuts orientation camps over coronavirus fears (Video)

Published

Earlier today, news hit airwaves that the management of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has suspended the ongoing orientation course for Batch A, stream one corps members nationwide.

The organisation said corps members would be invited back to the orientation camps when the coronavirus situation improves.

The Management announced the decision in a statement issued by the Director, Press and Public Relations of the NYSC, Mrs Adenike Adeyemi on Wednesday morning in Abuja.

MORE READING!  Gov Okowa appoints Imide as Provost

Some corps members have however reacted with some of them saying they are glad their stay at the orientation camp was cut short and others expressed sadness at the development.

Watch some of their reactions and listen to some of their thoughts in the video below:


 

health

Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital confirms first case of COVID-19

Published

on

Authorities of the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital (NAUTH), Nnewi, have confirmed that one case of coronavirus has been recorded in the hospital.

Prof. Anthony Igwegbe, the Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the hospital, disclosed this on Monday, NAN reports.

Igwegbe said the patient was diagnosed with the virus following a test upon getting to the hospital.

According to him, the test result was released on May 23.

MORE READING!  'Give me my money or you kill me', Lady fights boyfriend in public for refusing to pay N300,000 he loaned (video)

He also said that the patient was immediately moved to one of the isolation centres in Anambra State for treatment.

He said,

“The patient was quickly moved from our isolation ward to the Anambra State Treatment Centre last night for care and treatment.

“The patient, a male trader resident in Onitsha was admitted to the isolation ward following proper triage on his presentation on May 20.

“Specimen for test was taken the following day and sent to Irrua.”

The CMD further stated that a suspect was earlier taken in, but test sample was not taken before the patient died.

“That was a probable case, the patient showed some symptoms but sample was not taken before the patient died.

“So we have only one confirmed case of COVID-19 in NAUTH so far,” he added.

However, he said that all the necessary precautions were taken and all those that attended to the confirmed patient used Personal Protection Equipment.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Ogun treating coronavirus patients at home as eight states say NO to home treatment

He also gave an assurance that the hospital would remain vigilant.

Continue Reading

General

Niger state: They only gave us food no drugs- Covid-19 patients call out state govt

Published

on

Niger state: They only gave us food no drugs- Covid-19 patients call out state govt
Niger state government has been called out by Covid-19 patients recently discharged from the Minna Isolation centre over the alleged poor treatments meted to them at the isolation centre.
According to The Nation, some of the patients who spoke to newsmen revealed that since their arrival at the isolation centre, they have not received any single drugs for the treatment of the disease.

One of the discharged patients who was picked up from Zumba in Shiroro local government said that he was tested positive and quarantined at the isolation centre and that he was expecting to be treated and given drugs throughout his stay at the isolation centre but none was administered to him.

“I expected that I will undergo some treatment, but apart from food, nothing was given to me in the form of treatment. They did not give me a single drug.

“They only give us food every day that is all. No single drug, not even paracetamol was given to me throughout the 14 days”, he said.

READ ALSO: Eid-el Fitr: Ganduje frees 294 correctional centre inmates

He further disclosed that his mother and other relations who were also picked up and quarantined with him were also treated shabbily.

MORE READING!  United States bans flights from Brazil over coronavirus pandemic

He stated that after their discharge, they were not provided with transportation and were told to find their way adding that money for transportation was not given to them.

“They just came and asked us to go. They did not tell us how we would move neither did they consider that we may not have any money to transport us home.

“We trekked from the isolation centre at the back of the police secondary school to the main road. From there, we trekked to Dutsen Kuran Gwari before someone assisted us to Sabon Gari junction.

“It was at Sabon Gari that a commercial vehicle carried us to Zumba before we now borrowed money from our people to pay the driver”.

Continue Reading

health

COVID-19: I recovered but lost my means of livelihood, says Ebonyi driver

Published

on

A commercial bus driver in Ebonyi has shared his experience with coronavirus [Covid-19] disease.

WuzupNigeria reports that Mr. Friday Ibeh was one of four patients treated and discharged by the Ebonyi State government on Sunday.

According to him, when he contracted the virus, he was always weak and constantly sleeping.

He said:

“I was so weak when the disease held me. I was sleeping too much; at times four times, at times five times and even more than that in a day. Without the state government who took me to this isolation centre and treated me, I would have been a dead man.

“I am a transporter and the thing didn’t allow me to drive again; it made me so weak. I was sleeping on steering while driving before I was taken to this isolation centre a month ago. But now, I am very strong and ready to start my work again.”

However, for the father of six it is not yet Uhuru as he has lost his means of livelihood – the Sienna vehicle.

MORE READING!  Gov Okowa appoints Imide as Provost

Ibeh said the vehicle was on hire purchase and the owner had since taken possession of the vehicle.

Ibeh and three others were discharged yesterday from the state isolation centre at Unity Square, Abakaliki, bringing the total number of discharged patients to six.

This came as the number of cases of the virus in the state has risen to 22.

MORE READING!  COVID-19 cases in Africa hit almost 100,000, kills 3,078 people

A team from the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) witnessed the discharge of the four patients.

Dr. Majinger Ibeneme, Pillar head, case management of the NCDC in the state, said all the patients at the isolation centre were stable.

Ibeneme observed that the state government had put in place all the necessary facilities to combat the disease.

He said:

“We are here because of the discharge of four patients. It is amazing the amount of work the governor has committed in the fight against this monster. So far, we discharged two before now, we are discharging four again today.

“Every patient here is stable and Ebonyi State government committed a lot in building the infrastructure. They have also committed a lot in beefing up the human resources; they made our work very easy. When we arrived here, we just have to conduct drills mostly because the capacity, the infrastructure was already on ground”.

 

MORE READING!  My childhood friend who forgot me once he became famous- Man calls out Kelechi Iheanacho
Continue Reading




Trending