Connect with us

News

NYSC to get N50m radio station in 2020

Published

NYSC

The National Youth Service Corps [NYSC] has obtained an operational licence for its proposed Radio Station which will be built this year.

The radio station will gulp about N50m from the budgetary allocation, the NYSC Director-General, Brig-Gen Shuaibu Ibrahim, stated on Wednesday in Abuja.

He noted that the approval of the operational licence was being awaited before the final take-off of the radio station.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: 268 Nigerians arrive in Abuja from China

Ibrahim spoke at the NYSC Press and Public Relations Officers’ workshop, adding that the NYSC officials needed to monitor the social media regularly and be prompt in debunking false news and rumours which were common on the platforms.

The DG said,

“While I urge you to deepen and sustain the scheme’s presence in the social media, you must be vigilant by continuously sensitising corps members to the need to avoid inappropriate use of the new media.

“You must be proactive through constant engagements and timely disclosure of necessary information on the activities of the scheme as they unfold.

“Efforts to establish the NYSC Community Radio are in top gear as approval of the operational licence is being awaited. We expect a boost in the scheme’s publicity drive when the station eventually comes on stream.”

The NYSC had said last October that the establishment and installation of the radio station in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, by 2020 would gulp N50m.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: 254 dead as Nigeria’s COVID-19 cases rise to 8,733

The radio station, it was learnt, will be to sensitise the public to the workings and programmes of the scheme as well as attend to questions and inquiries from corps members nationwide.

News

Turkish mosques reopen for mass prayers

Published

on

Turkish mosques reopened on Friday for mass prayers after more than two months as the government further eased strict restrictions to stop the spread of the new coronavirus.

Turkey has been shifting since May to a “new normal” by easing lockdown measures and opening shopping malls, barbershops and hair salons.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said many other sites — restaurants and cafes as well as libraries, parks, and beaches — will reopen from Monday.

Hundreds of worshippers wearing protective masks performed mass prayers outside Istanbul’s historic Blue Mosque for the first time since mosques were shut down in March.

In the Ottoman-era Fatih mosque, worshippers prayed both inside and outside, with the municipality handing out disinfectants and disposable carpets.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Cases in Oyo firm, iSON Xperiences, rise to 151

Gulcek Uyanik, 55, was exultant.

“I have waited a lot for this, I have prayed a lot. I can say it’s like a new birth, thanks to God, he has brought us back here,” he said.

Another worshipper, Asum Tekif, 50, said: “It has a been a long time… we missed the mosques.”

Turkey, a country of 83 million, has so far recorded 4,489 coronavirus-related deaths and 162,120 confirmed cases.

– Prayers in Hagia Sophia –

Muslim clerics on Friday recited prayers in the Hagia Sophia, the world-famous Istanbul landmark which is now a museum after serving as a church and a mosque.

The prayers were held to celebrate the anniversary of the conquest of Constantinople, today’s Istanbul, by the Ottomans in 1453.

“It is very important to commemorate the 567th anniversary of the conquest … through prayers in the Hagia Sophia,” said President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who attended the ceremony via videoconference.

The stunning edifice was first built as a church in the sixth century under the Byzantine Empire as the centerpiece of its capital Constantinople.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: 268 Nigerians arrive in Abuja from China

After the Ottoman conquest, it was converted into a mosque before being turned into a museum during the rule of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey, in the 1930s.

But there have been hints about reconverting the Hagia Sophia into a mosque. Last year, Erdogan himself mooted the possibility of turning the Hagia Sofia museum into a mosque.

MORE READING!  Govt can’t risk reopening schools now - education minister

Such calls have sparked anger among Christians and raised tensions with neighboring Greece.

In 2015, a Muslim cleric recited the Koran in the Hagia Sophia for the first time in 85 years to mark the opening of an exhibition.

After Friday prayers at the Blue Mosque, a small group of Muslim worshippers shouted: “Let the chains break and let the Hagia Sophia open,” an AFP photographer reported.

The group was later dispersed by the police who stopped them from protesting near Hagia Sophia that sits immediately opposite the Blue Mosque.

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: 268 Nigerians arrive in Abuja from China

Published

on

At least 268 Nigerians evacuated from China have arrived in Abuja, The Daily Times can confirm.

The flight that conveyed the evacuees landed at the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport on Saturday afternoon.

Disclosing this in a tweet, the Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, said the returnees would proceed on compulsory 14 days quarantine as stipulated by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: 254 dead as Nigeria’s COVID-19 cases rise to 8,733

Some of the nationals had faced serial racial discriminations in Guangzhou, China, from provincial officials.

They were reportedly evicted from their apartments and hotels following their alleged refusal to go for the mandatory quarantine imposed by the Guangdong Provincial authorities sequel to the outbreak of coronavirus.

Some Nigerians sent a video of a woman with two children who were staying on the streets.

MORE READING!  Govt can’t risk reopening schools now - education minister
Continue Reading

News

George Floyd: Wife of accused cop files for divorce

Published

on

The wife of Derek Chauvin, the white police officer charged with killing George Floyd, has now filed for divorce from him, her lawyer said Friday.

According to Dailymail .co.uk, the announcement that Kellie Chauvin, a former Mrs. Minnesota winner, is seeking a divorce from Derek Chauvin came on Monday – the same day the fired cop was charged with murder over Floyd’s death.

“This evening, I spoke with Kellie Chauvin and her family. She is devastated by Mr. Floyd’s death and her utmost sympathy lies with his family, with his loved ones and with everyone who is grieving this tragedy. She has filed for dissolution of her marriage to Derek Chauvin,” Sekula Law Offices said in a statement.

Kellie, who works as a realtor with Re/Max Results, had no child for the accused cop but had two children with her first husband, who has since died.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG suspends evacuation of stranded Nigerians

Derek Chauvin, 44, was taken into custody on Friday and charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter. His bail was set for $500,000.

The arrest follows days of nationwide protests and riots demanding his arrest after he was caught on video kneeling on Floyd’s neck while arresting him for allegedly trying to use a counterfeit $20 bill at a deli.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG begs philanthropists for treatment centres, says Nigeria has only 5,324 bed spaces

According to the criminal complaint against Chauvin, the Minneapolis police officer was said to have had his knee on Floyd’s neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds, with nearly three minutes of the time being after Floyd had become non-responsive.

Floyd was then taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

MORE READING!  COVID-19 restrictions: FCTA shuts bars, arrests violators

The outcry has now reached his front door, as angry protesters drew in chalk on the road and sidewalk outside the couple’s $260,000 home in Oakdale: ‘A murderer lives here’.

Continue Reading




Trending