Connect with us

General

Obasanjo to employ 1,000 workers for mango plantation in Benue

Published

Quranic school

Former Nigerian President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, says his mango plantation in Howe, Gwer East Local Government Area will employ over 1,000 workers in Benue.

Obasanjo made the disclosure on Monday in Howe during a visit to the farm to inspect the progress made so far.

He said that the plantation would produce and process finished products such as juice from assorted fruits and oil from the seeds that could be used by pharmaceutical companies among others.

“I have come for four things, first to see how the farm has started, thank the governor for his encouragement; thank the community for accepting us and lastly give the workers the way forward.

“The workers are from this community. The mangoes will start producing between three to four years time. We have about 140 hectares of land for the project.’’

The former president said that factories for processing fruits would be built and over a 1,000 people would be employed at completion.

MORE READING!  65-year-old customs boss, Hameed Ali, takes new wife (Photos)

He said that the oranges, mangoes and other fruits produced by farmers in the state would not enough be enough to run the factories, hence the need for the plantation.

Gov. Samuel Ortom of Benue, who accompanied Obasanjo on the visit, said the state government was ready to facilitate the enabling environment for investors to invest.

MORE READING!  Stay away from women who depend on you to pay their bills- Nigerian doctor advises men

Ortom said agriculture remained the only permanent gold mine in the country, stressing that it was even far more than oil.

He said that his administration would support the private sector and promote the development and provide employment for the Benue people.

Obasanjo had earlier laid the foundation of the Catholic Diocese of Makurdi School for “Children with Special Needs” in Igbor, Gwer East local government area.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: India records 182,143 cases, 5,164 deaths

(NAN)

General

Ondo: Christians obey govt’s directive on partial reopening of worship centers

Published

on

Akeredolu sacks aide for wilful neglect of duty

Christians in Okitipupa, Okitipupa Local Government Area of Ondo State on Sunday complied with the directive of the state government on the partial reopening of worship centres in the state.

Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu on Wednesday directed a “guided” and “syndicated” resumption of mosques and churches across the state.

The state government on March 26, directed a shutdown of all religious worship centres to curtail the spread of #coronavirus.

As part of the partial reopening of the worship centres, Akeredolu also directed that mosques and churches must be disinfected.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Obasanjo Library sends workers home 'temporarily'

The governor also directed that soaps, water, hand sanitizer must be provided to worshippers as well as use of face masks and maintaining social distance, among others.

A correspondent who visited churches like Christ Apostolic, Anglican, Methodist, Winners Chapel, Mountain of Fire, Redeemed Christian Church of God, among others, in Okitipupa, noted that the churches complied with government directives.

Worshippers wore face masks, while soap, water and hand sanitisers were provided for worshippers before entering the churches.

MORE READING!  Innocent Nigerian spends 15 years in US jail for murder, regains freedom with $10m compensation

Worshippers also observed social distancing during the services.

Primate Elisha Akinsulere, the Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Ondo South District, told NAN on telephone that the government had been magnanimous in reopening worship centres.

He urged Christians to continue to pray to God to give the leaders the necessary direction and to pray for God to take away COVID-19 permanently.

“We are happy for the partial reopening of worship centres. We thank the state government for the magnanimity and we will continue to pray for our leaders for the right direction.

“I urge all our brethren to continue to pray to God to help us defeat COVID-19 permanently for peace to return to our dear country and the world at large,” Akinsulere said.

He, however, urged Christians to continue to comply with all government preventive measures to curtail the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

MORE READING!  Stay away from women who depend on you to pay their bills- Nigerian doctor advises men

NAN

Continue Reading

General

65-year-old customs boss, Hameed Ali, takes new wife (Photos)

Published

on

The Comptroller General of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Col. Hameed Ali (Rtd) over the weekend got married to a new bride, Hajiya Zainab Abdullahi in a wedding ceremony devoid of fanfare because of the ravage of the COVID-19 pandemic in the country.

Before being appointed as Comptroller General of NCS by President Muhammadu Buhari, Ali, 65 years of age had previously served as military administrator of Kaduna State from 1996 to 1998.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Obasanjo Library sends workers home 'temporarily'

Hameed Ali’s first wife, Hajiya Hadiza Jummai Ali died in Abuja on October 29th, 2018 at the age of 53 years old.

Hajiya Ali who was the first lady of Kaduna State when her husband served as a military administrator of the state from 1996 to 1998, left behind her husband, Hameed Ali and four children.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: NDDC headquarters shuts down over COVID-19 scare

Born 15 January 1955, the current Customs CG previously served as Military Governor of Kaduna State from 1996 to 1998. After retirement, he became secretary of the Arewa Consultative Forum – a political and cultural association of leaders in Northern Nigeria.

Continue Reading

General

Bayelsa confirms first COVID-19 death

Published

on

The Bayelsa State Government has confirmed the death of a Coronavirus patient from complications linked to the disease.

The Director of Public Health in the state’s ministry of health and member of the state’s COVID-19 task force committee, Dr Jones Stowe who confirmed the death of the patient said the deceased is one of the two military personnel who was among the new cases announced in the state a few days ago.

MORE READING!  I am battling a gang-up, says Bauchi governor

Daily Trust reported that the deceased died after suffering from Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and other related complications days after testing positive for Coronavirus.

Bayelsa state has so far recorded 12 confirmed cases of Coronavirus.

Continue Reading




Trending