Connect with us

Coronavirus

Ogun: Ex-commissioner of youths, sports, Olopade tests positive to coronavirus (video)

Published

Former Ogun State Commissioner of Youth and Sports, Bukola Olopade, has confirmed testing positive to the coronavirus.

He becomes the first sports personality in Nigeria to contract the virus.

Olopade, who had earlier announced in a video post on Tuesday that he had gone for the COVID-19 test, kept to his promise to reveal his status once the results were released.

In a video posted online, Olopade said he had been in self-isolation since he realised he had symptoms of the deadly virus.

“A few days ago I did make a video that I have been tested for COVID-19, I did promise to make it public once it was done and it has come out a couple of hours ago, that I tested positive for COVID-19,” Olopade said in a video he posted on Thursday.

READ ALSO: 69-year-old veteran stage actor Mark Blum dies of coronavirus complications

“As you all know, it’s not a death sentence, it’s not the end of the world, I feel no symptoms, I feel great and I feel healthy. But I have been called in and I have packed my stuff ready to go in for observation and by the special grace of God, I will come out with a clean bill of health.”

The Chief Executive Officer of Nilayo Sports Management, however, advised the general public to adhere strictly to the government directive that people should stay at home and observe the social distancing due to the outbreak of the deadly virus.

“Please stick to all the advice by the government and the World Health Organisation. Please stay at home and do your social distancing and wash your hands regularly. I will see you all in a rebound.”

 

MORE READING!  Covid-19: India records 182,143 cases, 5,164 deaths

See video below:

General

Lockdown: Abubakar Rimi Market, Kano. loses over N15m revenue

Published

on

The management of the Abubakar Rimi Market, Kano, says it has lost over N15 million in revenue since the lockdown of the state aimed at curbing COVID-19 spread.

Mr. Muhammad Bashir, the market’s Director of Administration and General Services, gave the figure while addressing newsmen on Wednesday in Kano.

“As a result of this loss, we cannot even pay our staff salaries; we pay our staff from the revenue we generate.

“Every month, we generate over N12 million out of which we normally spend over N8 million as workers’ salaries,” he said.

Bashir said that huge business activities in the market were making social distancing difficult.

MORE READING!  Frequent testing, less contact, recommended to get Hollywood cameras rolling again

The director said that the management of the market had, however, received over 20,000 face masks from the Kano State Government for distribution to traders and customers to reduce COVID-19 spread.

Bashir appealed to the state government to assist the management with funds to enable it to pay workers’ salaries.

MORE READING!  Warner Music strikes a chord as shares pop on Nasdaq debut

The director said that payment of workers’ salaries would reduce hardship induced by the 45-day-old lockdown.

He hailed the state government’s efforts in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Covid-19: WHO set to resume hydroxychloroquine trials

Published

on

Covid-19: WHO set to resume hydroxychloroquine trials

The World Health Organization says it will resume its trial of hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug backed by President Donald Trump to combat the deadly coronavirus, according to CNBC reports.

The Data Safety Monitoring Board decided there was no reason to discontinue the international trial after reviewing available data on the drug, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press conference Wednesday at the agency’s Geneva headquarters.

“The executive group received this recommendation and endorsed the continuation of all arms of solidarity trial including hydroxychloroquine,” he said.

On May 25, WHO announced it had temporarily suspended its trial of the drug over safety concerns. The announcement came days after a study published in the medical journal The Lancet, which is now being reexamined, found that hospitalized Covid-19 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine had a higher risk of death than those who didn’t take it.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Uganda records 84 new cases toll now 413

The move by the agency spurred French drugmaker Sanofi and others to temporarily suspend recruitment their own trials looking at the drug.

Tedros said Wednesday that the safety board will continue to closely monitor the safety of all therapeutics being tested in its trials, which include more than 3,500 patients across 35 countries.

“WHO is committed to accelerating the development of effective therapeutics, vaccines and diagnostics as part of our commitment to serving the world with science, solutions and solidarity,” he said.

 

MORE READING!  Rohr must win trophies, not just qualifying for tournaments – Akanni
Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Nigeria records 348 coronavirus cases, total now 11,166

Published

on

Nigeria has recorded new Coronavirus cases with the NCDC announcing 348 new cases of Coronavirus in Nigeria.

Newsone Nigeria reports that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed 348 new Coronavirus cases in a tweet on the micro-blogging site, Twitter on Wednesday evening, June 2.

This burgeoning online news platform understands that the NCDC noted that of the 348 COVID-19 cases recorded on Wednesday evening, 163 were detected in Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial city, FCT-76 Ebonyi-23 Rivers-21 Delta-8 Nasarawa-8 Niger-8 Enugu-6 Bauchi-5 Edo-5 Ekiti-5 Ondo-5 Gombe-5 Benue-4 Ogun-2 Osun-1 Plateau-1 Kogi-1 Anambra-1, southeast Nigeria.

MORE READING!  Aisha Buhari adopts kids of late Para-Powerlifting champion, Ndidi Nwosu

To be continued……

Continue Reading




Trending