Connect with us

Politics

Ondo deputy gov asks court to jail 26 lawmakers for contempt

Published

BREAKING: Ondo Deputy gov, Agboola dumps APC for PDP

The Ondo State Deputy Governor, Mr Agboola Ajayi, has asked the Federal High Court in Akure to jail the 26 members of the state House of Assembly for contempt.

Ajayi, in his suit filed on Friday, specifically asked the court to impose one-year imprisonment on the 26 lawmakers for “deliberately plotting and executing plans to impeach him” despite his suit filed at the Abuja division of the court challenging the impeachment process.

The deputy governor also asked the court to set aside all the actions so far taken by the lawmakers, including the impeachment notice issued against him on July 7, 2020, since he filed his suit on June 26, 2020.

Members of the state House of Assembly loyal to Governor Rotimi Akeredolu were said to have started plotting on impeachment process after Ajayi left the All Progressives Congress, the platform on which he was elected along with the governor, in 2016, for the Peoples Democratic Party.

MORE READING!  Fayemi names 13-member committee for Ayo Fasanmi’s burial

Fourteen of the lawmakers had on July 7, 2020, signed the notice of impeachment of the deputy governor while nine others opposed it.

But the Chief Judge of the State, Justice Oluwatoyin Akeredolu, rejected the formal request by the 14 lawmakers for her to set up an impeachment panel to investigate the deputy governor.

But Ajayi, through his lawyers, Dr Joshua Olatoke (SAN) and Babs Akinwumi, on Friday, contended that the legislators’ action of continuing with the impeachment process despite his pending suit was aimed at bringing the court to disrepute.

MORE READING!  Kalu replies Akpabio on NDDC contracts

He stated in an affidavit filed in support of the suit:

“On July 7, 2020, at the sitting of the Ondo State House of Assembly, the alleged contemners issued an impeachment notice against me, despite the pendency of suit no FHC/ABJ/CS/684/2020 and have vowed to continue with the illegality.

“Copies of newspaper reportage of the illegality of issuance of the notice are hereto attached and marked as Exhibit DG4.

“I verily believe that the action/conduct of the alleged contemners is to foist a fait accompli on the court, to render the outcome of suit no FHC/ABJ/CS/684/2020 nugatory and bring the court to disrepute.

He, therefore, sought among others;

“An order of this honourable court committing the 1st to 26th alleged contemners (the 26 lawmakers) to prison for a term of 1 (one) year or as the court may otherwise determine for the reason of the criminal contempt committed by the alleged contemner by deliberately plotting and executing plans to impeach the applicant despite the pendency of suit no FHC/ABJ/CS/684/2020 and despite having notice of the said suit.”

He also sought an order “nullifying and/or setting aside all the actions taken so far by the 1st to 26th alleged contemners in their attempt to impeach the applicant, starting from July 7, 2020.”

He sought another order restraining the lawmakers “from proceeding with the impeachment proceedings against the applicant.”

MORE READING!  Isa Funtua was a pillar to my government- Buhari

Politics

Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides creches, jingles

Published

on

The Ebonyi Government has pledged to do everything possible to encourage breastfeeding among young mothers in the state to improve child and maternal survival.

The Commissioner for Health in Ebonyi, Dr. Daniel Umezurike disclosed this on Tuesday during a press briefing to mark 2020 World Breastfeeding Week in Abakaliki.

Umezurike revealed that the state government considered the feeding critical by creating public awareness campaigns and jingles with support from partners to advocate breastfeeding in the state.

The commissioner also disclosed that civil servants who were nursing mothers in the state had been observing four months of paid maternity leave to encourage breastfeeding.

He said that wife of the Governor, Mrs. Rachael Umahi had established creches in the women development center and strategic locations to enhance appropriate feeding.

MORE READING!  Account for failed $460m Abuja CCTV Project, $2b China loan - APC to PDP

“This is for the mother to get close to their children, even at work so that they can breastfeed intermittently.

He added that they were also allowed after the leave resumption to close at mid-day to enable them to return home to their babies to feed them appropriately.

“Breastfeeding is the most important way of improving child and maternal survival. We take this very seriously.

“We do all these to encourage, protect and support breastfeeding in the state,” Umezurike said.

According to him, malnutrition is a challenge that reduces the production of breast milk, when nursing mothers are not properly fed.

MORE READING!  Former Delta governor, Emmanuel Uduaghan, denies collecting contracts from NDDC

Umezurike added that such families to include the downtrodden and widows were supported by Mrs. Umahi to ensure family health was protected in the state.

He further stated that the COVID-19 pandemic had affected activities, food production, consumption practices degrading land, and ecosystems among others, thus every step is taken across the life cycle to mitigate environmental degradation and climate crisis.

He stated that the pandemic had demonstrated that the global world interdependent and dependent on the same planet, thus need a healthy planet with support of breastfeeding.

MORE READING!  Isa Funtua was a pillar to my government- Buhari

Meanwhile, the Commissioner disclosed the current situation report of COVID-19 in the state, saying that totally confirmed cases are 871, deaths 25, discharged 804 and active cases are 36.

“We have three isolation centers and some on home isolation,” Umezurike said.

The Baby-Friendly Initiative Coordinator in the Ministry of Health, Mrs. Beatrice Ojinkama described breastfeeding as the foundation of life.

Ojinkama gave advantages of initiating breastfeeding to include serving as first immunization for a child to survive, help remove the reserved placenta, help in family planning among other processes.

She called on the media to assist partners and the ministry in achieving the scheme.

Continue Reading

Politics

FG to resume rollout of Digital Switch Over soon – Lai Mohammed

Published

on

The Federal Government says it will “very soon’ resume the rollout of Digital Switch Over (DSO) – a transition from analogue to digital television broadcasting – across the country.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed stated this on Tuesday in Lagos at a ceremony to unveil the new amendment to the 6th Edition of the Broadcasting Code.

Fielding questions from stakeholders at the ceremony, the minister said the DSO suffered some set back which led to holding after it was launched in six states.

MORE READING!  FG re-arraigns ex-AGF, Adoke, associate over N4bn corruption charges

He reiterated the commitment of the government to spread the massive benefits of digital television to the people, stressing that it was the fastest way to create jobs.

The Newsmen recalls the rollout of DSO commenced in Jos, Plateau in April 2016 and moved to Abuja, Ilorin, Kaduna, Enugu and lastly in Oshogbo in February 2018.

MORE READING!  Senate President felicitates Omo-Agege at 57

The minister assured the stakeholders that they would hear from the government on the resumption of the DSO roll out in the coming weeks.

Mohammed also told the stakeholders that the government had been implementing policies and programs to reposition the creative industry.

He said one of the major recommendations of the Post COVID-19 Initiative Committee on the Creative Industry chaired by ace comedian, Ali Baba was a restructuring of the industry.

MORE READING!  Account for failed $460m Abuja CCTV Project, $2b China loan - APC to PDP

The minister reassured that the government would soon set up a committee on the implementation of the recommendations to move the industry forward.

The Minister also reiterated the government’s commitment to assist the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria in securing the N10 billion Nigeria Media Intervention Fund from the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: Buhari orders rejig of security operational strategies

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered rejig of operational strategies of the nation’s security network to effectively counter the security situation across the country.

The National Security Adviser (NSA), Major General Babagana Monguno (Rtd.), disclosed this to State House Correspondents on Tuesday after the National Security Council meeting held at the State House.

MORE READING!  How married bike man left pregnant wife to rape 12-year-old girl to death

He also revealed that the administration was working on a solution to the security crisis in some parts of the country, saying that the Minister of Defense, Major General Bashir Salihi Magashi (Rtd), was “working on something” to give effect to President Buhari’s earlier marching orders to service chiefs.

The NSA also disclosed that the council noted that the proliferation of drugs is driving insecurity in the country.

MORE READING!  FG re-arraigns ex-AGF, Adoke, associate over N4bn corruption charges

Monguno said the manner of killings of their victims can only mean one thing and that is, the bandits, kidnappers and terrorists are out of their minds.

Continue Reading




Trending