The renewed onslaught against armed bandits in Zamfara by the military under Operation Hadarin Daji (OPHD) is gaining momentum and has disorganised the hoodlums.
The hoodlums had been giving residents of the state sleepless nights for about a decade before the Bello Matawalle administration in May 2019 initiated dialogue that ushered in peace.
The bandits, however, started a steady and gradual return, with the killing of innocent citizens, kidnapping and rustling of animals, compelling the state government to partner the military to resume the fight against crime.
Troops of the OPHD had in the last one week killed about 40 bandits across villages in the two local government areas of Bungudu and Maru in the state.
The troops, while using airpower from fighter jets and helicopters of the Nigerian Airforce component, cleared large parts of Koli, Tungar-Mata, Dadinkowa and Jankura villages in Bagega District of Anka Local Government Area as well as in Nasarawa area of Gusau Local Government.
A source close to the military operations confirmed to NAN that about 1,000 cows and over 500 sheep were intercepted at one location alone when the bandits tried to use the thickness of Buzaye bushes to cross to Zaria in Kaduna State.
They were, however, said to have run away on sighting the troops.
The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also said many kidnap victims including the recently kidnapped village head of Wuya in Gummi Local Government were rescued.
The source also said several weapons including AK47, G3 rifles and an unspecified number of ammunition and money as well as some motorcycles and drugs were abandoned by the fleeing criminals.
“At the moment, some military intelligence personnel are spread around the areas of the operation to track down those who escaped with bullet wounds so that they would be handed over to the relevant authorities along with those arrested,” the source said.
Governor Matawalle had declared total war against the re-emerging bandits while still leaving the peace initiative open.
The governor had also warned traditional rulers and informants who aid bandits to be ready to face the consequences of their actions.
Police arraign man, 26, over alleged fraud
The police on Friday arraigned a 26-year-old man, Ilesanmi Ojo, before an Ado-Ekiti Chief Magistrates’ Court over alleged fraud.
The defendant of no fixed address is standing trial on a count charge of the alleged fraud.
The prosecutor, Insp. Oriyomi Akinwale told the court that the defendant committed the offense sometimes in the month of Dec. 2019 at Onala area in Ado-Ekiti.
He alleged that the defendant, a mechanic, fraudulently obtained the sum of N155,000 from one Pastor Olusegun Olufowose to repair his Sienna vehicle.
Akinwale also alleged that the defendant duplicated the key of a Nissan Pathfinder Jeep with Reg. No. WWW 852 AE, belonging to the complainant without his consent.
He said the offenses contravened Sections 421 and 508 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ekiti State, 2012.
The prosecutor asked the court for an adjournment to enable him to study the case file and assemble his witnesses.
The defendant pleaded not guilty.
His counsel, Mr. Olarewaju Oluwasola, urged the court to grant his client bail, with a promise that he would not jump bail.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs. Olanike Adegoke, granted bail to the defendant in the sum of N100,000 with two sureties in like sum.
She adjourned the case until June 24 for hearing.
You have case to answer, court tells mechanic accused of manslaughter
An Ikeja High Court on Friday told a mechanic, Taiwo Adeyemi, accused of killing a colleague during a physical scuffle, that he had to defend the manslaughter charge filed against him by the Lagos State Government.
Justice Hakeem Oshodi, delivering a ruling on a no-case submission filed by defence counsel, Mr Adetokunbo Agoro, said the prosecution for the state had presented sufficient evidence before the court to warrant Adeyemi putting up a defence.
According to reports the ruling on the no-case submission was originally slated to have been delivered on May 4 but was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Delivering the ruling online, Justice Oshodi said: “From the evidence laid before the court by the prosecution, there has been no evidence that has been discredited by the defence.
“There is, however, ample evidence on the face of the court’s record which is legally admissible, that links the defendant to the deceased.
“There cannot be any dispute that death occurred after a fight. The defendant is said to be the other party of the fight.
“From the written submission of the defence counsel, he believes that there is no documentary and prima facie case laid out by the prosecution and that the evidence of the first and second prosecution witnesses are hearsay.
“To the court, the prosecution has made out a prima facie case for the defendant to face. Accordingly, the defendant is now called upon to open his defence.”
Following the ruling, the judge adjourned the case until July 27 for defence.
Reports have it that Adeyemi is charged with manslaughter contrary to Section 227 of the Criminal Law of Lagos 2011.
He was arraigned at the High Court on June 5, 2017.
According to the prosecution led by Mr M.T. Adewoye, the defendant committed the offence at 1.00 p.m. on April 4, 2014, at a mechanic’s shed, located at Ashade Market, Mangoro, Agege, Lagos.
“The defendant had an argument with the deceased, Sikiru Oladeinde; during the scuffle, he hit the deceased with a plank that had nails attached to it.
“Oladeinde sustained some injuries and passed away some days later in hospital,” the prosecutor said.
During the trial, three witnesses testified on behalf of the prosecution — a welder and co-worker of the deceased, Mr Olujimi Ogunleye; the brother of the deceased, Mr Kehinde Oladeinde; and the Investigating Police Officer (IPO), Sgt. Felix Osunbu.
Man, girlfriend, bag jail time for stealing 64 chickens
A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Kafanchan, Kaduna State has jailed a 35-year-old man, Abdullahi Sani, and his 20-year-old girlfriend, Sarah Paul, for stealing 64 chickens.
The police charged Sani and Paul with criminal conspiracy, housebreaking, theft and mischief, contrary to sections 58, 332, 270 and 312 of the Kaduna State Penal Code.
In his ruling, Magistrate Michael Bawa sentenced Sani to 38 months in a correctional facility and Paul bagged 13 months for her role in the crime.
Bawa also ordered the first convict to pay N600, 000 while the second convict will pay N200, 000 as compensation to the complainant as applied by the prosecution.
Earlier, the Prosecution Counsel, Insp. Esther Bishen, told the court that one Hilary Garba reported the matter on May 21.
Bishen said the complainant alleged that the convicts broke into his house at night and stole 64 layers valued at N781, 970.
The prosecution said that Paul was arrested while cooking some of the chickens.
She noted that the police recovered cell phones, a television set, generator, mattresses, amplifier, rug carpets from the convicts suspected to have been stolen.
When the charges were read to them, they both pleaded guilty and begged the court for leniency.
The prosecutor thereafter prayed the court to try them summarily in line with section 125 (8) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law.
Buhari to address small businesses at 2020 MSMEs awards, entries open
One year in Office: We inherited moribund sectors; says in Kwara Gov
Edo 2020: PDP aspirant promises affordable housing, security
Covid-19: I tested positive after the premier league suspension, Brendan Rogers, reveals
George Floyd: Black CNN reporter arrested on live TV (Video)
Forbes reportedly declare Kylie Jenner ‘non billionaire’ see why
See list of Nigerian airports to reopen in ‘few days’
Flooding: Ekiti LG warns residents against dumping refuse in drains
Man who leaked Buhari’s speech before nationwide broadcast has been caught
Rolls-Royce to cut up to 8,000 Jobs
I will resign from Buhari’s government if… – Keyamo
Kaffy pens down painful tribute to Kodak
Kim Jong-un may have faked his death to expose traitors in his circle- Report
JUST IN: Nigeria records highest COVID-19 cases, deaths in West Africa
I will never be any man’s third wife- Actress Christabel sues media outlet for ‘fake news’
Covid-19 can enter the body through the eyes, Scientists warn
Nigerian businessman, accused of theft, beaten to death in India [Video]
Again, police arrest Bobrisky in Lekki (video)
White woman lies against black man in New York Park, gets sacked (Video)
VIDEO: Seven-year-old boy, taught by Boko Haram, demonstrates gun handling and shooting strategies
VIDEO: Seven months pregnant doctor saving COVID-19 patients from death
I nearly committed suicide over N20m debt – Real Warri Pikin
Armed men on motorcycles attack Lekki security guards (video)
Corpse of actress Destiny Etiko’s dad arrives Enugu for burial [Video]
Metro2 days ago
Home owner allegedly shoots tenant dead for failing to vacate his house
News3 days ago
JUST IN: Nigeria’s COVID-19 cases now 8344
Metro3 days ago
82-year-old man who stabbed wife of 50 years dead has dementia, says family
Metro2 days ago
Covid-19: Man mourns as he loses girlfriend in Abuja
Metro2 days ago
Angry mob stone father of seven to death for stealing chicken
News2 days ago
Military condoning torture, unlawful detention, sexual abuse of children escaping Boko Haram in Northeast
General2 days ago
COVID-19: T. B Joshua speaks on Sanwo-Olu, wearing of face masks
General2 days ago
Four US policemen, who killed black man by kneeling on his neck, fired