Connect with us

Crime

Operation burst apprehends seven suspected robbery gang members in Ibadan

Published

The Oyo State joint security outfit, Operation Burst, has apprehended seven suspected members of an armed robbery gang in Ibadan.

The Director-General of the outfit, Col. James Ajibola (rtd.), while parading the suspects on Friday in Ibadan, said that they were nabbed by the operatives at Olomi area, Ibadan, during a night patrol.

MORE READING!  Another lady, 18, gets stabbed to death for resisting rape in Ibadan

He said that his team was making frantic efforts to ensure that they fulfilled the mandate given to them by Gov. Seyi Makinde to combat crimes in the state.

He said that Operation Burst came up after credible intelligence reports that areas like Olomi, Olodo, and Olose, all in Ibadan, were being terrorized by armed robbers.

MORE READING!  Twitter: BABCOCK student called out for allegedly raping 24 girls (Photos)

Ajibola said that men of the outfit carried out surveillance of the areas during the day and later swung into action.

He warned other armed robbery gangs lurking around in the state to desist from their heinous acts or be ready to face the full wrath of the law.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the items recovered from the suspected armed robbers included motorcycles, one locally-made pistol, two cartridges, three cutlasses, charms, and cash.

MORE READING!  Man caught with 65 capsules of cocaine, heroin in Malta refuses deportation to Nigeria, wants Spain instead

Ajibola said that the seven suspects had been transferred to the Police Criminal Investigations Department (SCID), Iyaganku, Ibadan, for further investigations and prosecution.

Crime

Abba-Ukpo crisis: Police, community clash over alleged kidnap of billionaire

Published

on

Lock down: Son ‘kills dad in murder-suicide’, leaves note written in blood

There is tension in Abba Community, in Njikoka Local Government Area of Anambra State, as members of the community and the Nigerian Police Force are locked in a fierce argument over the alleged kidnap of billionaire businessman, Chief Pius Nweke on Friday.

While the community strongly stated that Nweke was kidnapped on his way to office by suspected policemen who placed a gun in his hand, the Police said the billionaire businessman was arrested for being in possession of illegal firearms and could be transferred to the Force Criminal Investigation Department, Abuja.

MORE READING!  Man boasts about sexually abusing 12-year-old girl (Video)

In a statement on Friday, the President General of the Community, Engr, BC Anaekwe, said, Nweke was abducted on his way to his office by some people suspected to be policemen at about 12 noon.

According to him, not only that he was abducted, he was handcuffed like a common criminal, while a gun was placed on his hand.

“As at the time of this release, the whereabouts of Chief Nweke is still unknown. It will be recalled the Abba community has been in dispute over ownership of a large expanse of .land commonly called “Agu-Abba” with her neighbouring Ukpo community for which the Nigerian police was enlisted against the Abba community,” the statement read.

When contacted, the Anambra State Commissioner of Police, Mr John Abang and the State Police Public Relations Officer, Mohammed Haruna, did not pick calls to their mobile lines.

MORE READING!  Family of six, pet, found dead inside car with cryptic note

But, one of the senior Police officers in the state, who pleaded anonymity, said nobody kidnapped the said chief, rather, that he was arrested for illegal possession of firearms.

He said Chief Pius Nweke was in possession of a pistol gun without a license which, according to him, was a criminal offence that carried a jail term of not less than three years

MORE READING!  Four arrested for posing as cab drivers to rob passengers in Port Harcourt

The senior officer said it is only the President that could authorise for such under the constitution of the land

The matter could be transferred to the Force Criminal Investigation Department, Abuja.

Continue Reading

Crime

Man, 38, remanded for allegedly raping seven-month old daughter in Benue

Published

on

Man, 38, remanded for allegedly raping seven-month old daughter in Benue

Mr Isaac Ajim of a Magistrate Court in Makurdi has demanded that a 38-year old man be remanded at Nigeria correctional centre for allegedly raping his seven-months old daughter.

This is coming after the accused identified as Mr Simon Emekawas arraigned in court over the alleged crime committed last Monday.

While presenting the matter before the court, the Prosecutor identified as Sergeant Friday Kanshio told the court that the matter was reported to the police by one Josephine Habba who said she heard of the sad incident when she went to Jestic Hospital with her child for treatment and saw one, Mrs Favour Emeka crying before a nurse that her baby was raped by her husband.

MORE READING!  Another lady, 18, gets stabbed to death for resisting rape in Ibadan

READ ALSO: Man caught with 65 capsules of cocaine, heroin in Malta refuses deportation to Nigeria, wants Spain instead

The prosecutor stressed that the investigation was yet to be completed while the accused denied the charge against him.

The bail which was processed for the accused was rejected by the trial magistrate, Ajim due to the nature of the allegation and the case was adjourned to the 31st of August for further mention.

MORE READING!  Four arrested for posing as cab drivers to rob passengers in Port Harcourt
Continue Reading

Crime

Man caught with 65 capsules of cocaine, heroin in Malta refuses deportation to Nigeria, wants Spain instead

Published

on

Joseph Feilazoo has petitioned the European Court of Human Rights, claiming that his human rights were being infringed upon by Malta.
Joseph Feilazoo has petitioned the European Court of Human Rights, claiming that his human rights were being infringed upon by Malta.

An ex-convict hoping to leave Malta after serving a sentence for drug trafficking says he has found himself in legal limbo after refusing to be deported back to his native Nigeria, insisting on being sent to Spain instead.

To stop his deportation, Joseph Feilazoo has petitioned the European Court of Human Rights, claiming that his human rights were being infringed upon by Malta.

Amongst other things, Feilazoo complained of “excessive use of force by correctional officers, against whom he had proceedings pending, as a result of which he was charged with crimes he did not commit, as opposed to being treated as a victim, following a failure to protect him.”

MORE READING!  Four arrested for posing as cab drivers to rob passengers in Port Harcourt

His story begins in August 2008 when he had originally been arrested at the airport upon arriving on a ClickAir flight from Spain with 65 capsules containing 912g of cocaine, 25g of heroin and almost 6g of cannabis, hidden in his stomach and rectum.

Feilazoo had been convicted of drug trafficking by a jury in 2010, being jailed for 12 years and fined €50,000 for conspiring to import, importing and trafficking in the drugs.

24 additional months were later added to his jail sentence after he failed to pay the fine or the costs of the case.

The drug trafficker had some success with the courts in 2015, having filed a judicial protest, claiming that his belongings had been stolen from him upon his admission to prison, eventually being awarded €1,500 in compensation for this by the Small Claims Tribunal.

MORE READING!  Twitter: BABCOCK student called out for allegedly raping 24 girls (Photos)

But he was subsequently jailed again in 2019, fined €5,000 and declared an illegal immigrant after attacking and biting prison warders after he was informed that he would be deported to Nigeria at the end of his sentence.

Feilazoo had wanted to be deported to Spain where he had been legally residing before coming to Malta, but his papers had expired and the Spanish authorities are refusing to renew them.

MORE READING!  Family of six, pet, found dead inside car with cryptic note

Feilazoo was later released from prison after serving his sentences and placed in immigration detention pending his repatriation to Nigeria. Legal sources say that this has now been stalled by his petition to the ECHR.

He is claiming that his being held in immigration detention is unlawful and in breach of his human rights since there were no prospects of his deportation.

The most disheartening thing, Feilazoo said, was that he was expecting to be a free man after his release from prison, only to find himself detained indefinitely at Hal Safi as he had no status in Malta.

Continue Reading




Trending