Connect with us

Politics

Please come back, Diri tells Bayelsa PDP members who defected to APC

Published

Douye Diri Bayelsa

The governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Bayelsa state, Senator Douye Diri, has asked members of the party who decamped to the All Progressives Congress (APC), to return.

He made the call while speaking to newsmen in reaction to the Supreme Court’s ruling which sacked David Lyon of the APC as the governor-elect.

Diri is now expected to be sworn in as the Governor of Bayelsa.

“The members of PDP, who out of one thing or the other got angry and left us to APC, I’m waving the olive branch, please, come back,” he said.

“We have to build Bayelsa state together. I’m also calling on my brothers in APC they are Bayelsans, we cannot continue to be in disunity.

“Being in APC does not remove you as my brother of Bayelsa state. Whether you are Nembe, Okpia, Sabama, or Southern Ijaw, that is the region that God has brought us together and so, I am extending my olive branch even to those of my brothers and sisters in APC,” he said.

Lyon won the elections by polling 352,552 votes, while Diri got 143,172.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Buhari presents party flag to Ize-Iyamu (Photos)

However, the PDP and Diri had sought the disqualification of Lyon’s running mate, Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo, for allegedly falsifying his results.

A panel of judges led by Mary Odili on Thursday nullified the joint ticket of Lyon and Degi-Eremienyo and set aside their participation in the governorship election.

The apex court also ordered that INEC should issue a certificate of return to the candidate with the second-highest number of votes in the election.

MORE READING!  Wike tackles Oshiomhole on Obaseki’s certificate

Politics

Police vow to bring killers of Gov. Obiano’s aide to book

Published

on

The Assistant Inspector-General of Police  (AIG) in charge of Zone 13, AIG Danmallam Mohammed, has vowed to bring killers of the Senior Special Assistant to Gov. Willie Obiano on Security, late Azubuike Ekwegwalu, to book. 
Mohammed, who made the pledge on Monday in an interview with newsmen in his office at Ukpo near Awka, described the incident as “sad and most unfortunate.”
The AIG said he had directed the Anambra Police Commissioner, CP  John Abang to commence an investigation to unravel the circumstances surrounding the incident.
“I am sure that the commissioner of police will intensify intelligence to track down the criminals and make sure that they are brought to book.
“The people of the state should not express fear or have sleepless nights over the development.
“They should know that in larger societies like this, there are pockets of crimes,” he said.
The AIG assured the people, especially family members of the deceased, that the culprits would be apprehended, no matter how highly placed they were.
He also expressed concerns over the increasing wave of cultism in the state, warning cultists to denounce their membership or face the wrath of the law.
The Newsmen recalls that Ekwegbalu, 43, was allegedly stabbed to death with a kitchen knife at his residence in the  Commissioners’ Quarters, Awka, by unknown assailants on Sunday.
The Police Command’s Spokesman in the state, SP Haruna Mohammed already said a suspect seen within the premises around 1:30 a.m. on a fateful day had been arrested for further investigations.
MORE READING!  Edo 2020: Ganduje is in no position to assess any governor until he clears his dollar allegations– Obaseki
Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: Lebanon’s government resigns over Beirut blast

Published

on

Lebanon

Lebanon’s government resigned Monday as the fallout from last week’s deadly explosion deepened a political crisis in the country’s blast-ravaged capital.

Prime Minister Hassan Diab said he would resign alongside all of his ministers.

“We will back down and stand with the people. We need to open the door for the people,” he said in an address to the nation.

The move comes after enraged protesters and world leaders alike demanded political reform following the Aug. 4 blast that killed almost 160 people and injured thousands more.

Protesters took to the streets of Beirut again Sunday with a video showing what appeared to be tear gas canisters being fired at demonstrators who had congregated in a street near the parliament.

MORE READING!  Edo 2020: Ganduje is in no position to assess any governor until he clears his dollar allegations– Obaseki

Last week’s blast, which sent a mushroom-like cloud into the sky above Beirut’s port, dealt a blow to a country already on its knees.

Nearly a week since the devastating explosion, public anger shows no signs of abating.

The blast was triggered when a warehouse fire ignited hundreds of tons of ammonium nitrate, according to Diab.

It sent a shock wave that scarred the coastline of Beirut, destroying hundreds of buildings and leaving many homeless.

The protesters blame the ruling elite for chronic mismanagement and corruption that is believed to be behind the explosion and the country’s broader issues.

“You literally blew us up. We have nothing left to lose,” a group of protesters screamed at a demonstration on Saturday.

The scenes of public fury came as world leaders pledged millions in emergency aid to the country’s explosion-ravaged capital in a teleconference co-organized by France and the United Nations.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Buhari presents party flag to Ize-Iyamu (Photos)

President Donald Trump was among the participants, as well as leaders from Gulf Arab states, China and the European Union.

“The international community, Lebanon’s closest friends and partners, will not let Lebanese people down,” the chair of the conference said in a concluding statement on Sunday, according to the French mission to the U.N.

The participants agreed to help meet the immediate needs of Beirut and the Lebanese people through emergency assistance programs and agreed it would be “directly delivered to the Lebanese population.”

MORE READING!  Wike tackles Oshiomhole on Obaseki’s certificate

They warned that any support of the economic and financial recovery of the country would be contingent on Lebanese authorities committing to economic and political reforms demanded by the Lebanese people, according to the statement.

The government’s resignation, however, is not a panacea for Lebanon’s problems.

The country is facing its worst economic crisis in its modern history and is afflicted by skyrocketing unemployment, rising prices and a plummeting Lebanese pound. Hunger is spreading throughout the country of 6.8 million people.

 

NBC

Continue Reading

Politics

Ondo 2020: Akeredolu blasts Mimiko for abandoning projects

Published

on

Akeredolu, Mimiko

For the first time in his over three years stay in office, Ondo State Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, Monday, came hard on his predecessor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko.

Governor Akeredolu said his predecessor abandoned projects begun by late Olusegun Agagu.

Akeredolu said the Ondo seaport project envisioned by late Agagu was abandoned by Mimiko.

He said the seaport would have become a reality if Mimiko had continued with the vision.

The Ondo Governor said Mimiko also abandoned the Olusegun Agagu University of Science and Technology, Okitipupa as well as left six months unpaid salaries.

Governor Akeredolu said he would defeat all candidates from other political parties in the October 10 governorship election.

MORE READING!  Edo 2020: How to check election results in real time on INEC portal

Akeredolu who spoke during the flag-off of distribution of palliatives donated by the Coalition Against COVID-19 (CACOVID) promised to complete the seaport project before the end of his second term.

He said over 200,000 households have received palliatives since the COVID-19 outbreak.

Akeredolu stated that apart from the most vulnerable that got palliatives, patients in the hospitals; the sick, pregnant, and women and nursing mothers also received palliatives.

He said the items donated by CA-COVID would get to 50,000 households.

His words:

“We have been forced by COVID-19 outbreak to review downward our budget just like every other State and the Federal Government, but nevertheless God Almighty has made it possible for us to continue to pay salaries and the implementation of our various shining across the State.

“Let us not be in doubt that a new foundation has been laid for Ondo while the sun is shinning. Port Ondo is on the way. By the grace of God, I will complete it.

“If previous government had shown concern, we would have had a seaport. Agagu started it but we had a government that abandoned it.

“That government abandoned OAUSTEC. Come on Saturday and see the wonderful work we are doing there.

“We have been in the office for about 42 months and have paid salaries and allowances for 48 months. The six months extra being the carry-over debt from the immediate past administration, despite our lean purse since we took over.”

Chairman of Ondo COVID-19 Palliatives Committee, Pastor Akin Olotu, said individuals that did not benefit from the other phases of distribution would be reached out to.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Shehu Sani blasts FG, says Naira Marley was arrested but parties are holding rallies

Spokesman of Mimiko, John Paul Akinduro, did not pick calls to his phone.

Continue Reading




Trending