Connect with us

Crime

Soldiers attacked policemen over arrest of drug dealer in Taraba – Report

Published

Bayelsa pandemonium Soldiers Taraba

More revelations have again come to light about the activities of soldiers attached to Battalion 93, Takum, in Taraba State and how they allegedly protected a drug dealer who was about to be arrested by the police.

Special Forces from the battalion reportedly attacked five policemen who went on an operation to arrest a narcotics dealer in Kwesati village, Ussa Local Government Area of Taraba State, last year.

The policemen who stormed the village to arrest one Endurance Mike for allegedly selling tramadol and other banned psychotropic drugs were allegedly beaten up by 10 soldiers attached to ‘Operation Whirlstroke.’

A police report on the incident obtained from police archives on Monday by The Punch in Abuja, stated that the incident which occurred on June 30, 2018, almost led to a violent confrontation between policemen and soldiers of Battalion 93.

MORE READING!  Why I tied up my son for so long - Kebbi father

The report with reference number CK4161/AC/TK/TRS/VOL.1/2 dated July 7 was written by the Area Commander, Takum Area Command, ACP Ayuba Dickson, to the Commissioner of Police, state headquarters, Jalingo.

It explained that when the policemen got to Mike’s shop where he also sold patent medicines, they met a soldier who exchanged hot words with them on learning that they wanted to arrest the shop owner.

It said,

“While the police team was still inside the shop, the unnamed soldier went out and mobilized more than 10 fellow soldiers who came on motorcycles and beat up the policemen, seized the confiscated drugs and set the suspect free. One of the men also seized and chewed the search warrant and swallowed it.

“Some of the illicit drugs include tramadol injections, HIV test kits, and many expired, unregistered and banned drugs. The soldiers also forcefully seized two rifles from the police team and took them to their makeshift office.

The report identified the injured policemen as the Divisional Crime Officer, Ussa Division, ASP Usman Madugu, Insp. Ishaku Garba, Sgts. Moses Ashoon, Punadanda Ahmadu and Cpl. Manasseh Alfred.

MORE READING!  Man, 65, kidnaps 11-year-old girl, prostitutes her

The police stated that the men sustained varying degrees of injuries, adding that the Commanding Officer in charge of the errant soldiers, Capt. Mohammed later pleaded for the matter to be resolved amicably, promising to pay the N15,000 medical bill incurred by the wounded cops.

The report added,

“On July 2, I (Area Commander), the Commanding Officer, and the military intelligence officer attached to the Special Forces went to Ussa police division to meet with the DPO and the injured policemen.

“During the meeting, the CO and the military intelligence officer pleaded for forgiveness and promised to settle the medical bills and also pay for the beret of one of the policemen. After a lengthy and tempestuous deliberation, we agree to accept the plea and the offer to settle the medical bill which amounted to N15,000.”

The Area Commander said further attempts to arrest the drug dealer failed as the villagers forcefully rescued him from the police.

MORE READING!  Soldier sentenced to 55 years in prison for stealing, killing WHO staff

He accused the SF of aiding and abetting illegal drugs dealers in the state, adding that:

“the SF Officer is yet to fulfill his promise of paying the medical bill incurred by the injured policemen as of the time of writing this report.”

Crime

Why I tied up my son for so long – Kebbi father

Published

on

Aliyu Umar

The Police Command in Kebbi has arrested Aliyu Umar, father of the 12-year-old boy chained for two years in an animal stall in Badariya area of Birnin Kebbi Local Government.

The command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Nafi’u Abubakar, told the News Agency of Nigeria in Birnin Kebbi on Thursday that the father told the police that the boy has Down syndrome.

MORE READING!  Security operatives allegedly apprehend bandits terrorising southern Kaduna

Abubakar added that the father had admitted to the Police that he tied up the boy with a rope in view of his inability to sustain his medication.

“The father had claimed that he had taken the boy to native doctors for medication up to the extent of selling some of his properties, but all in vain.

“Instead, he decided to prevent him from roaming about in the town, stoning peoples’ vehicles as well as injuring himself, which could lead to his death.”

He, however, said that the Police had arraigned Umar before Chief Magistrate Court 1, Birnin Kebbi, on a charge of cruelty to a minor.

MORE READING!  Cameroonian arrested with five Nigerian passports

The boy, Jibrin Aliyu, was, on August 9, found at his father’s residence tied with a rope alongside with animals and chickens and was in that condition for two years after the demise of his mother.

The boy is currently on admission at Sir Yahaya Memorial Hospital, Birnin Kebbi.

 

PUNCH

MORE READING!  Ex-banker, civil servants in court for alleged payroll fraud
Continue Reading

Crime

Boko Haram now recruiting child soldiers – MNJTF

Published

on

Boko Haram

The Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) has raised an alarm of Boko Haram recruiting child soldiers to resuscitate its declining influence in the Lake Chad Basin.

Nigerian army colonel and Chief of Military Public Information for MNJTF, Timothy Antigha who revealed this in a statement released from N’Djamena – Chad on Thursday, August 12, said the disturbing development was brought in by intelligence sources and corroborated by concerned individuals and groups days ago.

Antigha who noted that the recent recruitment of child soldiers by the terrorist group might be due to the recent mass surrender of its members to the military, said the intelligence was confirmed after the terrorist group released a video of children dressed in military fatigue and holding assault rifles during the Sallah celebrations.

MORE READING!  Soldier sentenced to 55 years in prison for stealing, killing WHO staff

He said;

“Earlier, Boko Haram have engaged in the mass abduction of school girls, sexual enslavement of women and mass murder of innocent civilians.

“This recent employment of child soldiers is as a result of frustration caused by several operational losses, leadership crises, as well as disillusionment among fighters and their subsequent surrender in hundreds to the MNJTF.

“The focus on children is because they are easier to manipulate and indoctrinate than the adults within the region who can now see through the veil of deceit.

“Arising from this latest atrocity by Boko Haram, the MNJTF urges parents, local authorities, religious and traditional institutions to be vigilant and promptly alert security agencies of any overt or covert attempts to recruit their children and wards.”

Antigha also warned youths against falling for the terrorist group’s promises of power and influence, economic prosperity and spiritual growth.

MORE READING!  Gunmen kill popular Taraba school proprietor

He added;

“The stories of hardship and evil within the terrorist organisations as revealed by all surrendered Boko Haram fighters should be sufficient notice that Boko Haram and ISWAP have nothing good to offer anyone.

“It would be recalled that the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict forbids the recruitment and use of children in Armed Conflicts.

“The Protocol states among others that; “Armed groups distinct from armed forces of a country should not, under any circumstances, recruit or use in hostilities anyone under 18.

“It is against this background that the MNJTF is drawing the attention of the United Nations, its relevant agencies and other stakeholders to the latest acts of inhumanity and desperation by Boko Haram, and urges severe condemnation and other necessary action.

“On our part, the MNJTF will continue with activities that are focused on the protection of children and other vulnerable groups within its area of operation.”

Continue Reading

Crime

RCCG pastor lands in court for issuing $1.6m dud cheques

Published

on

Apostolic church

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFFC) on Wednesday re-arraigned an assistant pastor of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), City of David Parish, Victoria Island, Lagos, Ayodeji Ibrahim Oluokun for allegedly issuing dud cheques of $1.6 million.

Oluokun was arraigned alongside his company Peak Petroleum Industry Nigeria Limited, before Justice Toyin Taiwo of an Ikeja Special offences Court.

MORE READING!  Why I tied up my son for so long - Kebbi father

The defendant was re-arraigned on a six-count charge of obtaining money by false pretence, stealing and issuance of dud cheques.

The EFCC Counsel, S.O Daji, told the court that the defendant, in 2014, approached the management of GOSL Nigeria Limited for a loan in the sum of $1.6 million to enable him carry out operational activities in his company’s oil field in Bayelsa State.

MORE READING!  Soldier sentenced to 55 years in prison for stealing, killing WHO staff

Oluokun was alleged to have assured the firm that he would repay the money within a year.

Unable to repay the loan, the defendant allegedly issued two post-dated Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria Limited cheques for the sum of $1 million and $666,666 respectively, the prosecutor said.

The pastor pleaded not guilty, and Justice Taiwo adjourned the matter till September 23.

MORE READING!  Man, 65, kidnaps 11-year-old girl, prostitutes her
Continue Reading




Trending