Connect with us

General

Police rescue abducted man in Edo, capture suspect

Published

The police command in Edo on Thursday announced the rescue of a man abducted by hoodlums, saying that one of the suspected kidnappers had been captured.

The Public Relations Officer of the command, DSP. Chidi Nwabuzor made the disclosure at a news conference in Benin.

Nwabuzor said that the rescue took place on July 7 at about 1 p.m.

He said that the divisional police officer at Ekpoma had received a report that one Joseph Patrick, 35, of Ozege Junction, Borehole Quarters in Ekpoma, was abducted on Wednesday.

MORE READING!  Elephants almost extinct in Nigeria, conservationist laments

The spokesman said that the kidnapping was carried out by a five-man gang of kidnappers, operating at Urohi forest in Ekpoma, near Benin.

Nwabuzor explained that as soon as the information reached the Ekpoma Police division, the DPO and his men, in collaboration with hunters combed the bush and confronted the kidnappers.

“The kidnappers on sighting the policemen engaged them in a gun duel and in the process, one of them was hit by the bullet and he was captured.”

The police image-maker disclosed that the captured kidnapper had given his age as 23 years and a Fulani from Kano State.

MORE READING!  Mali protests resume as thousands call for president's resignation

According to Nwabuzor, the suspect has since confessed to the crime, saying that he is a member of a five-man gang of kidnappers, operating on the Benin-Auchi highway.

Speaking to reporters, the suspect, whose name was not given, said that the kidnapping was his first time of engaging in the crime.

Nwabuzo also confirmed the attempted abduction of an Ekpoma-based businessman, John Omofuma, on the Benin-Ekpoma road.

MORE READING!  Police declare war on killers in Ekiti community

The spokesman said that investigation on the matter was going on.

General

Delta relaxes curfew, reopens markets

Published

on

Okowa

Delta has relaxed curfew imposed on the state following the COVID-19 pandemic.

It further ordered the reopening of all the markets in the state.

Secretary to Delta State Government (SSG), Chiedu Ebie in a statement on Thursday said:

“It is hereby announced for the information of the general public, particularly Deltans and residents in the State that Delta State Government has adjusted the curfew earlier imposed in the state due to the COVID-19 pandemic from the earlier period of 7:00 pm to 6:00 am to a new period of 10:00 pm to 5:30 am.

“Furthermore, government has approved the resumption of normal trading activities in all markets across the 25 Local Government Areas of the state.

“However, cinemas, bars in hotels and beer parlours remain closed while restaurants and eateries are to continue to serve their customers on take away basis, even as government would not hesitate to shut them down if they are observed to be in breach of the COVID-19 safety guidelines.”

MORE READING!  Elephants almost extinct in Nigeria, conservationist laments
Continue Reading

General

Osun-Osogbo festival cancelled by State govt

Published

on

Osun-Osogbo Festival

Osun-Osogbo Festival for the year 2020 has been cancelled by the Osun state government.

According to Osun state government which however approved the observance of traditional rites and routines associated with the festival, only authorised persons and worshippers will be allowed into the grove.

The announcement was made by Osun state Commissioner for Culture and Tourism, Obawale Adebisi due to the increased cases of Coronavirus recorded in the state.

MORE READING!  Pastor arrested for allegedly impregnating two teenage sisters in Abeokuta

He said:

“The state government is by this medium informing the public that this year’s celebration of Osun-Osogbo festival will be symbolic, as only the worshippers that will perform ritual activities will be allowed into the grove.

“These worshippers must however, comply with the state government’s COVID-19 protocols.

“To this effect, the government has banned all social activities associated with the celebration and prays that subsequent festivals will be better celebrated at the exit of the current pandemic.”

Continue Reading

General

Widow sues SARS for abducting son, demanding N500k for release

Published

on

Special Anti-Robbery Squad

A petty trader, Regina Stanley, who also happens to be a widow, has dragged the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) before the Federal High Court in Lagos for abducting and illegally detaining her son whom she had sent on an errand since March 28 2020.

She also accused SARS operatives of demanding N500, 000 for the release of her son, Sunday Stanley, which she did not have.

She told the court that she sent her son on an errand in the Morogbo area of Lagos State when she was informed by her fellow traders that he had been abducted and locked up in Black Maria van by SARS operatives raiding the area.

MORE READING!  Man pulls up to work in new Bentley, quits his job

In an affidavit attached to a fundamental rights suit, seeking an order for the release of her son, Regina said;

“I went to my place of trade together with my son who assists me in my trade. At about 11.30am, I sent my son on an errand only to be informed by my fellow traders that my son had been arrested and locked up inside the Black Maria by armed agents of the 3rd respondent.

“I hurriedly closed my trade and went to the place where my son and other persons had been arrested and locked up. Every effort made by me to secure the release of my son proved abortive.

“My son, together with other persons, was driven to SARS office at Ikeja police command. Agents of the respondents levied all sorts of trumped-up allegations against my son and told me to bring N500,000 to secure his release. Because of my inability to get the money my son has been detained since the 28th of March, 2020 till date. He is my only child and my husband has passed away since 2019.”

The lawyer of the widow, Olukoya Ogungbeje filed a suit in the name of the detained Sunday Stanley and urged the court to declare his arrest as unlawful, oppressive and a violation of his fundamental right to personal liberty and fair hearing provided for under sections 33, 35, 36 and 41 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

MORE READING!  Police nab fake soldier in Delta

He also prayed the court to order the immediate release of the Widow’s son as well as order the Nigerian Police to issue a public apology in a national newspaper.

He also prayed the court to order an award of N50m in damages to the plaintiff for his unlawful arrest, detention and humiliation by SARS.

MORE READING!  As a Nigerian man, you get nothing from marriage, man says
Continue Reading




Trending