Connect with us

General

Police set to prosecute owners of uncompleted buildings used by rapists in Kano

Published

Police in Kano has announced that owners of uncompleted buildings used by rapists to perpetrate crimes in Kano state will henceforth be prosecuted.

This announcement was made by the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa in a popular Radio programme “Inda Ranka”.

He said that “33.3 per cent of rape cases had been perpetrated at uncompleted buildings in the state.” Kiyawa who stated that owners of uncompleted buildings used to perpetrate rape will be charged as accomplices.

MORE READING!  Pharmacy sells Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate for N50,000 following Stella Immanuel’s claim

Kiyawa added that the tough stance was necessitated by disturbing statistics that emanated from an investigation conducted by the command in the wake of growing cases of rape especially on minors across the state.

The police spokesperson said;

”We are warning the general public that henceforth, any rape case perpetrated in an uncompleted building, the owner would be charged as an accomplice”.

Kiyawa further revealed that the police has expanded its patrol to uncompleted buildings in every nook and crannies of the Kano city and other places in the state.

MORE READING!  NDA announces new date for screening, gives instructions to candidates

 

 

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada

Published

on

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has begun the demolition of about 102 houses built along waterways, following the recent flood incident which had claimed some lives in the Gwagwalada Area Council.

Garba Kwamkur, Deputy Director, Monitoring and Enforcement, Department of Department Control, who led the exercise on Tuesday in Gwagwalada, said that the illegal houses had been marked for demolition over one year ago.

Kwamkur noted that the occupants of the affected houses were given enough time to move out of the flood-prone areas, adding, however, that they had refused to obey the directive.

He said that the government could not spare the houses anymore, following the recent forecast of more rains and consequential flooding that would affect the area.

MORE READING!  My wife pours water on our bed anytime I demand for s3x, man tells court

Kwamkur explained that the affected community was part of the land covering about 260 hectares, allocated within the Abuja Master Plan, for the development of the University of Abuja at Gwagwalada.

He, however, expressed the regret that some indigenous people and other squatters were still occupying the land temporarily.

“The University of Abuja had written to us about the encroachment issue. The settlement here that is due for resettlement has grown beyond its boundary.

MORE READING!  FRSC cautions against claiming of right on the road

“And we had an issue of the flood last week where five persons, who were carried away by the flood, were confirmed dead.

“We actually had to discuss with the village leaders on the need to move away from the flood-prone area,” he said.
“The FCT Emergency Management Agency has also predicted that there would be heavy flood this year.

“So we are taking some precautionary measures; that’s why all the buildings along flood plains will have to go.

“All the contravention notices have been issued since 2019. No government will sit down and do nothing when the lives of its citizens are being threatened by either flood or any other thing,” he said.

MORE READING!  Woman crashes wedding, claims she's pregnant with groom’s child (Video)

Responding, the Chief of the community, Mr. Isah Egari, said that he was not opposed to the demolition of the houses built on water channels.

Egari, however, appealed to the FCT administration to give the residents more time to move out of the affected community.

He also called on the demolition team to restrict the bulldozers to the areas close to the water channels to avoid undue hardship on other residents who were not affected.

Continue Reading

General

Lebanon blast kills over 25 people, leaves scores injured

Published

on

Beirut blast

A massive explosion ripped through central Beirut on Tuesday, injuring thousands of people and blowing out windows in buildings across the city.

The blast near the port in the Lebanese capital sent up a huge mushroom cloud-shaped shockwave, flipping cars and damaging distant buildings.

It was felt as far as Cyprus, hundreds of miles away.

At least 25 people were killed in the blast and over 2,500 people have been wounded, Health Minister Hamad Hassan told reporters.

MORE READING!  Ogun clears air on COVID-19 test for exit students

Footage from the scene captured the injured staggering through streets in the capital; and ambulances, cars and military vehicles packed with the wounded.

One eyewitness described the scenes as “like an apocalypse.”

There were conflicting reports on what caused the explosion, which was initially blamed on a major fire at a warehouse for firecrackers near the port, according to NNA.

The director of the general security directorate later said the blast was caused by confiscated “high explosive materials,” but did not provide further details.

MORE READING!  NDA announces new date for screening, gives instructions to candidates

A red cloud hung over the city in the wake of the explosion as firefighting teams rushed to the scene to try to put out the fire.

At least 10 firefighters were missing, according to the city’s governor Marwan Abboud, who said the scene reminded him of “Hiroshima and Nagasaki.”

“In my life I haven’t seen destruction on this scale,” Abboud said.

“This is a national catastrophe.”

The blast comes at a tense time in Lebanon.

MORE READING!  FRSC cautions against claiming of right on the road

On Friday a UN-backed panel is expected to issue a verdict on the 2005 assassination of former prime minister Rafik Hariri, a move many fear will stoke sectarian tensions.

The country is also in the midst of an economic meltdown, with ballooning unemployment, a tanking currency and poverty rates soaring above 50%.

 

 

 

 

CNN

Continue Reading

General

Bayelsa LG chairman’s father regains freedom

Published

on

Eighty-year-old Pa Napoleon Alale, the father of the Sagbama Local Government Chairman, Mr. Embeleakpo Alale, has regained freedom after spending about two months in the den of his alleged kidnappers.

The octogenarian was whisked away from his residence at Agbere, Sagbama, on Friday, May 8, 2020, by unidentified gunmen.

Embeleakpo in a statement on Tuesday by his Press Secretary, Dr. Nikade Anderson, confirmed the release of Pa Alale.

The council chairman revealed that the kidnappers dropped his father at Otuokpoti riverside in Ogbia LGA of Bayelsa at about 1am on Tuesday, after making series of contacts with the family towards securing his release.

MORE READING!  Pharmacy sells Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate for N50,000 following Stella Immanuel’s claim

Embeleakpo did not however disclose if the family paid any ransom before securing the release of the aged man.

The council boss, while noting that his father was receiving medical attention to ascertain his health status, expressed appreciation to God over the safe return of his father.

He also expressed gratitude to Governor Douye Diri and his deputy, Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo, for their intervention and moral support while the harrowing experience lasted.

MORE READING!  FRSC cautions against claiming of right on the road

He also appreciated associates, members of the public, security operatives, and the media for the overwhelming display of solidarity during the trying period.

Meanwhile, the Bayelsa State Police Command says it has arrested one ‘Commander’ Mummy Reuben, the alleged mastermind of Pa. Napoleon Alali.

A spokesman for the command, SP Asinim Butswat, said in a statement after the release of the octogenarian that combined efforts by security agencies led to the arrest of the mastermind.

MORE READING!  Woman crashes wedding, claims she's pregnant with groom’s child (Video)

He said the suspect had confessed to how he conspired with others to carry out the kidnap.

Butswat said: “Consequently, the kidnappers released the victim, Pa. Napoleon Alale, aged 80, on Tuesday, August 4, at about 0100hours at Otuokpoti, Ogbia LGA of Bayelsa.

“The Commissioner of Police, Bayelsa State Command, Mike Okoli, has rejigged the security strategy of the command to reduce crime to the barest minimum in Bayelsa.

“Investigation is ongoing to arrest other fleeing suspects.”

Continue Reading




Trending