Connect with us

General

Puff-Adder: Notorious armed robber killed in Kano

Published

The Police Command in Kano state said it had killed a member of a notorious armed robbery gang, name withheld, terrorising Rano town along Falgore Forest Axis.

The Police Public Relations Officer,(PPRO) for the command, DSP Abdullahi Haruna, made disclosure in Kano on Saturday.

He said the killing followed the exchange of gun battle between Puff-Adder Operatives and armed robbers.

Haruna said that on July 26 at about 3:40 a.m, team of policemen of Operation Puff-Adder attached to Police Area Command Rano were alerted that a gang of four armed robbers attacked residents of Rano.

MORE READING!  LAUTECH Teaching Hospital threatens to mass bury unclaimed corpses in two weeks

He said that police immediately rushed to the scene where they engaged the armed robbers in a gun duel.

Haruna said in the process, the Puff-Adder Operatives with superior gunfire gunned down one of the gang while the remaining three escaped into the nearby thick forest.

“On hot chase, the robbers abandoned a locally made pistol with three rounds of live cartridges,” he said.

MORE READING!  Palliative: Kano Govt denies destroying FG foodstuff

Haruna notedd that the gang had been terrorising Rano, Kibiya, Bunkure, Tudun Wada along Falgore Forest Axis for a while.

He said the Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Ahmed Iliyasu, had directed that the three fleeing suspects be tracked on time, identified and arrested.

The PPRO said that Iliyasu also directed that exhibits or arms in the possession of the gang be recovered.

MORE READING!  Niger state: They only gave us food no drugs- Covid-19 patients call out state govt

Haruna called on the good citizens of the state to continue to cooperate with the Police for prompt information and intelligence reports on any form of crime and across the state for a quick and timely response.

(NAN)

General

Prominent Kano Monarch dies

Published

on

Kano: Mobile courts convict 874 lockdown violators

Dr Wada Ibrahim Waziri, the Sa’in Bichi, Hakimin Dambatta has passed on at the age of 89.

Family sources told The Nation that the prominent monarch died Wednesday morning after a protracted illness related to old age.

The late monarch who was at one time the District Head of Makoda was born into a royal family and had his education early in Kano Middle School, he passed out in the 1950s.

MORE READING!  Japan approves ¥31.9trn supplement budget amid virus crisis

Late Wada Waziri was a veteran nursing officer who became popular under the AVM Hamza Abdullahi regime in 1984 when he served as head of operation of the then Kano State Environmental Sanitation Agency, popularly known as Ruwa-Ruwa.

During his lifetime, the frontline monarch Wada Waziri worked as a civil servant and later got involved in active politics.

MORE READING!  VIDEO: Seven months pregnant doctor saving COVID-19 patients from death
Continue Reading

General

Violations: NBC fines three stations, sanctions 28 others

Published

on

Violations: NBC fines three stations, sanctions 28 others

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has fined three stations over the broadcast of invariable content on COVID-19 and also sanctioned 28 others for violations against the Nigeria Broadcasting Code.

The Acting Director-General of NBC, Prof. Armstrong Idachaba, made this known at a press briefing in Abuja on Wednesday.

Idachaba said the three stations fined were Adaba FM and Breeze FM, all in Akure, as well as Albarka FM, Ilorin.

He said that the stations were fined N250,000 each for broadcasting invariable claims and misleading information about the COVID-19 pandemic.

The NBC boss further stated that 28 other stations were sanctioned for violation of the code in areas bordering on hate speech, obscenity, technical breach, advertisement, invariable claims and unprofessionalism.

“All the stations have been either queried or sanctioned according to the provisions of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code

” The commission wishes to, again, re-emphasise that all broadcasters must adhere strictly to the provisions of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code and National Broadcast Act CAP N11 Laws of the Federation, 2004,” Idachaba said.

On reforms by the NBC, Idachaba said the amendment of the sixth edition of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code as approved by President Muhammadu Buhari made provisions for local content in the broadcast industry.

MORE READING!  Niger state: They only gave us food no drugs- Covid-19 patients call out state govt

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Bauchi records two new deaths, discharges 37

According to him, it also makes provision for increased advertising revenue for local broadcast stations and content producers.

“It also creates restrictions for monopolistic and anti-competitive behaviour in the broadcast industry. It further makes provision for responsibility for broadcast stations during national emergencies.

” I am glad that the work is ready now, and the commission has published the provisions of the amendment of the code,” he said.

On Digital Switch Over (DSO), the NBC boss explained that the commission was considering a new licence-free regime and broadcast signal distributors carriages fees for Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) operators

“The new rates would affect National Free-view DTT, Rational Free-view DTT and Local Free-view DTT.

” The committee expects all licenced DTT operators to commence payment of the new fees which is lower than the fees in the analogue era.

“However, very important progressive steps are being taken for the actualisation of the DSO.

“There have been several online meetings with various players and stakeholders in the digital ecosystem.

” We have concluded plans for a new timeline, indicating new cities where we are moving to and the details will be released once the lockdown is fully eased,” he said.

He called on all broadcasters and workers in the media industry to stay safe in the face of the raging pandemic.

MORE READING!  Military condoning torture, unlawful detention, sexual abuse of children escaping Boko Haram in Northeast 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

Continue Reading

General

Japan approves ¥31.9trn supplement budget amid virus crisis

Published

on

Japan approves ¥31.9trn supplement budget amid virus crisis

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s cabinet on Wednesday green-lighted a second supplementary budget worth 31.9 trillion yen (296 billion dollars) to help mitigate the economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

The extra budget would help frontline medical staff and small businesses hit hard by closure requests due to the pandemic.

It came about one month after the enactment of the first extra budget worth 25.69 trillion yen.

Report says Abe’s cabinet aims to have the second extra budget enacted by the parliament before the current session ends on June 17.

“The latest extra budget would allow the government to subsidise rent payments for small firms and business owners, covering two-thirds of them for six months, with an upper limit of 6 million yen,’’ Kyodo News reported.

READ ALSO: Here’s why Trump has threatened to shut down social media

However, opposition lawmakers criticised the plan, saying it is not enough.

“The plan is ineffective, as it does not show an idea of trying to compensate income losses at all,’’ Yuichiro Tamaki, the leader of the Democratic Party for the People, told reporters.

Through the first extra budget, the government decided to provide 100,000 yen in cash to every resident.

MORE READING!  Japan approves ¥31.9trn supplement budget amid virus crisis

Japan first declared a state of emergency for Tokyo and six other prefectures in early April, a week later, the measure was expanded to the entire country.

By mid-May, the state of emergency had been lifted in many of Japan’s 47 prefectures.

The state of emergency ended in Tokyo and four other prefectures on Monday, the last remaining regions subject to restrictions, ahead of the scheduled expiry on May 31.

MORE READING!  Palliative: Kano Govt denies destroying FG foodstuff

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

Continue Reading




Trending