Connect with us

Politics

Putin threatens Trump, to develop new nuclear missiles if U.S does

Published

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday warned that Moscow would be forced to start developing short and intermediate-range land-based nuclear missiles if the U.S. started doing so after the demise of a landmark arms control treaty.

The U.S. formally left the Intermediate Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty with Russia on Friday after determining that Moscow was violating the treaty and had already deployed at least one banned type of missile, an accusation the Kremlin denies.

MORE READING!  Man, 29, allegedly rapes mentally-challenged woman in Ekiti

The pact banned land-based missiles with a range of between 310 miles and 3,400 miles (500-5,500 km), reducing the ability of both countries to launch a nuclear strike on short notice.

Putin on Monday held a meeting with his Security Council after which he ordered the defence and foreign ministries and Russia’s SVR foreign intelligence service to closely monitor any steps the U.S. took to develop, produce or deploy missiles banned under the defunct treaty.

MORE READING!  PTF chair attends anti-virus prayers

“If Russia obtains reliable information that the U.S. has finished developing these systems and started to produce them Russia will have no option other than to engage in a full-scale effort to develop similar missiles,” Putin said in a statement.

In the meantime, he said Russia’s arsenal of air and sea-launched missiles combined with its work on developing hypersonic missiles meant it was well placed to offset any threat emanating from the U.S.

MORE READING!  My whole life flashed before my eyes, Lady who jumped out of bus on high speed reveals

It was now essential, he added, for Moscow and Washington to resume arms control talks to prevent what he described as an “unfettered” arms race breaking out.

“In order to avoid chaos with no rules, restrictions or laws, we need to once more weigh up all the dangerous consequences and launch a serious and meaningful dialogue free from any ambiguity,” Putin said.

NAN

Politics

Buhari set to sign revised 2020 budget on Friday – Presidency

Published

on

President, Major General (retd.) Muhammadu Buhari will on Friday sign the revised 2020 budget into law following its passage by the National Assembly last month.

This is according to a statement issued on Thursday evening by the Presidency in a tweet on its handle.

“President Buhari will tomorrow, Friday July 10, 2020, sign into law the revised 2020 budget passed by the National Assembly last month,” the presidency tweeted.

The Senate had on June 11th, passed the revised 2020 budget of N10,805,544,664,642, a day after the House of Representatives did the same.

MORE READING!  China detains professor who criticized President Xi

A breakdown of the figure shows that the sum of N2,488,789,433,344 is for capital expenditure and recurrent non-debt expenditure has N4,942,269,241,984.

The executive also allocated N422,775,979,362 for statutory transfer, while N2,951,710,000,000 was budgeted for debt service.

The passage of the revised figure, which is to be issued from the Consolidated Revenue Fund, followed the consideration of the report of the Senate Committee on Appropriations on the Appropriation Act (Amendment) Bill, 2020.

MORE READING!  My whole life flashed before my eyes, Lady who jumped out of bus on high speed reveals

The Federal Government had in April, cut down the 2020 budget by over N320 billion and proposed a new budget of N10.27 trillion against the N10.59 trillion passed by the National Assembly.

Continue Reading

Politics

Lebanese ambassador walks out on Reps

Published

on

PHOTOS: Reps resume plenary

Drama played out at the venue of a meeting called by the House of Representatives on Thursday when the Lebanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Houssam Diab, staged a walk-out.

Diab, shortly after entering Conference Room 236, New Building, House Wing of the National Assembly complex, walked out on the Committee on Diaspora Affairs who he was to meet.

Also at the meeting were the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Mr Zubairu Dada; Director-General of the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons, Julie Okah-Donli; officials of the Federal Ministries of Justice and of Labour, Employment and Productivity as well as Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, among others.

MORE READING!  PDP mourns victims of Benue boat mishap

It was learnt that the ambassador was expecting a closed-door meeting with the lawmakers but met other government officials and journalists at the venue.

Miffed by what he saw, Diab walked out of the venue at around 10.50 am as the meeting was about to start in the open.

Chairman of the committee, Tolulope Akande-Sadipe, had said she was shocked that the “ambassador will just get up and walk out on us”.

MORE READING!  GanDollar: Videos of Gov Ganduje collecting bribe plays repeatedly on billboards in Edo

While some lawmakers and officials followed the ambassador, the committee called for a closed-door session, sending journalists, security men and aides out of the venue.

Emerging from the meeting, Akande-Sadipe said:

“It was an informal meeting because the Ambassador was nice enough to join us at the meeting. There is no law that says he has to be here today but because he has an interest in the joint relationship between Nigeria and Lebanon.

“We have a lot of Nigerians in Lebanon and we have a lot of Lebanese in Nigeria. We have a relationship with Lebanon from the 50s…

“This meeting today has further reiterated that the Lebanese community and the Nigerian community always stand together to ensure that justice and respect for human lives is a priority, and we will work together to bring modern-day slavery to an end.”

The committee has been meeting with stakeholders on the harassment, intimidation and tracking of Nigerians in other countries, especially on the case of Temitope Arowolo in Lebanon.

MORE READING!  Kwara CoS death: Contact tracing begins
Continue Reading

Politics

You can’t rig Edo gov election, PDP tells APC

Published

on

Five councilors in Zamfara

The Peoples Democratic Party has asked the All Progressives Congress to prepare for imminent defeat in the September 19 Governorship Election in Edo State.

It also said the APC and its candidate, Osazie Ize-Iyamu, cannot rig the election while urging them to desist from fabricating reports in an attempt to arm-twist the Independent National Electoral Commission to manipulate the outcome of the elections.

This was contained in a statement titled, “You Can’t Rig Edo Election, PDP Mocks APC, Ize-Iyamu …Urges APC To Desist from Fabrications” and signed by the National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Kola Ologbodiyan, in Abuja, on Thursday.

MORE READING!  GanDollar: Videos of Gov Ganduje collecting bribe plays repeatedly on billboards in Edo

The PDP alleged that the APC was plotting to

“Use fabrications in a section of the media to arm-twist the Independent National Electoral Commission, to manipulate the Edo state governorship election for their rejected candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu.”

Its statement read in part:

“In sponsoring fake reports that PDP leaders were putting pressure on INEC Chairman, Prof. Yakubu Mahmood, on the Edo election, the APC has further exposed its hopelessness over their rejection by the Edo people and now seeks to blackmail the Commission.

“The APC, by now, should know that attempting to rig, by any way whatsoever, will surely be met with stiff resistance and dire consequences from the people.”

Ologbondiyan further said:

“Our party counsels the APC to blame nobody but themselves for having a discredited nomination process and being stuck with a blighted candidate, who has now become a symbol of a direct affront by corrupt political godfathers and cabal to the will, ability and liberty of the people of Edo state to choose their own leader.”

Continue Reading




Trending