Connect with us

Remains of Kobe Bryant, daughter, four others released to families

Kobe Gianna Bryant

Sports

Remains of Kobe Bryant, daughter, four others released to families

The remains of basketball legend Kobe Bryant, his daughter and four others of the nine killed in last week’s helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, the United States, have been released to their families, the Los Angeles County coroner’s office said Monday.

LATimes reports that the National Transportation Safety Board is continuing to investigate the January 26 crash that killed the LA Lakers icon and others who were flying to a girls’ basketball game at Bryant’s Mamba Sports Academy in Thousand Oaks.

MORE READING!  I have marks all over my body, Footballer who escaped kidnappers narrates his ordeal

The chopper took off from John Wayne Airport in Orange County midmorning and encountered heavy fog en route to Camarillo Airport. The conditions were bad enough that the LAPD’s Air Support Division grounded its helicopters and didn’t fly until later in the afternoon, department spokesman Josh Rubenstein said.

The crash, described by NTSB investigator Jennifer Homendy as “a high-energy impact crash,” scattered debris across 600 feet. Coroner’s officials have determined that all nine people on board died of blunt force trauma.

MORE READING!  Man-U star player Bruno Fernandes expecting a baby boy with his partner

Records show that in addition to Bryant, 41, the remains of five others have been released by the coroner’s office: Bryant’s 13-year-old daughter, Gianna; Christina Mauser, 38; Sarah Chester, 45, and her daughter Payton, 13; and Zobayan.

The bodies of the remaining victims — John Altobelli, 56; his wife, Keri Altobelli, 46; and their 13-year-old daughter, Alyssa — had not yet been released late Monday.

The release of the remains comes as Bryant’s widow, Vanessa, Los Angeles civic leaders and the Lakers organization are working to put together a public memorial for the basketball star and his daughter.

MORE READING!  Ajax footballer Abdelhak Nouri, 22, wakes from coma after two years, eight months and 19 days

The NTSB is expected to offer a preliminary assessment on the cause of the crash in about a week, but a final report could take a year. The federal agency had previously recommended helicopters like the one carrying Bryant be equipped with a terrain warning system, a safety feature that might have saved the lives of those on board.

Click to comment

More in Sports

Most Read

Just In

To Top