Connect with us

General

Rolls-Royce to cut up to 8,000 Jobs

Published

Rolls-Royce to cut up to 8,000 Jobs

Rolls-Royce is preparing to cut up to 8,000 jobs, the biggest single reduction in more than 30 years, after aircraft makers Airbus and Boeing slashed production to cope with plunging demand from airlines struggling to survive a collapse in global air travel due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The size of layoffs has been mentioned internally by senior management but is by no means finalised and there is a lot of negotiation still to be done, a source said.

MORE READING!  Medical doctor jokes about rape, says women should 'wear agbada or caftan' [See WhatsApp Chat]

The Financial Times earlier reported Rolls-Royce was preparing to lay off up to 8,000 of its 52,000-strong workforce.

An announcement on the final figure is not expected before the end of May, when the company will update employees, according to the FT report.

Last month, Rolls-Royce scrapped its targets and final dividend to shore up its finances to cope with the virus outbreak.

READ ALSO: 37-year-old Vincent Enyeama eyes move Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates

The company’s Chief Executive Officer Warren East said in April Rolls-Royce would be looking at cutting cash expenditure, including salary costs across its global workforce by at least 10% this year.

MORE READING!  Frequent testing, less contact, recommended to get Hollywood cameras rolling again

Discussions with unions about the job cuts have just begun, the newspaper reported, citing sources.

The scale of job cuts is still likely to be larger than after 9/11 when the group cut 5,000 jobs and the vast majority of it is expected to hit the civil aerospace unit, the FT said.

MORE READING!  I am battling a gang-up, says Bauchi governor

While job losses are also expected in the unit’s operations in Singapore and Germany, Britain’s civil aerospace workforce is expected to bear the majority of the cuts, according to the report.

Unite, Britain’s largest trade union did not comment in response to a query from Reuters.

General

FRSC promotes, decorates three senior officers

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps on Tuesday in Ilorin decorated three of its senior officers.

According to reports, the low key event held at the RS8 Zonal Command Headquarters, Ilorin.

The Zonal Commanding Officer, Assistant Corps Marshal (ACM) Amauche Nwaka, while reading the address of the Corps Marshal, Boboye Oyeyemi, said the promotion was well-deserved, based on hard work.

“As it is the culture of the Corps, the seasons of reward have never been delayed.

“In spite of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has shut down nations, the FRSC thought it wise not to shut down nor delay the recognition and upliftment of officers.

“This was achieved with the introduction of a novel process in promotion, in the form of a virtual interview, rounding off the 2019 promotion.

“I congratulate all of you for your well-deserved promotion. You worked hard for it. You should be mindful that you will be met with several forms of new challenges.

“You should, therefore, be prepared for these challenges and opportunities; your ability to sustain your new positions would vindicate your elevation.

“Therefore, it is on this premise that you are charged to continue to work as we go forward, considering the numerous road safety management challenges facing our dear country.

“You are also reminded of the current global COVID-19 pandemic, which has not abated.

“You are required to bring a new lease of life into the fight, by ensuring that all government policies at all levels are strictly adhered to.

“You are particularly to note the directions of the Presidential Task Force on the pandemic.

“Above all, you must live by example; COVID-19 is real, keep safe,” he charged them.

Newsmen reports that the officers promoted and decorated included the Kogi Sector Commander, Corps Commander Omotosho Abe, elevated to the rank of ACM; Ekiti Sector Commander, Corps Commander Faustina Alegbe, promoted to the rank of ACM, and Deputy Corps Commander Joshua Adekanye, who got promoted to the rank of Corps Commander.

MORE READING!  Former NNPC GMD, Maikanti Baru, is dead

Responding on behalf of the promoted officers, the most senior promoted officer, ACM Omotosho Abe, thanked God and the Corps Marshal for deeming it fit to elevate them.

“We are happy because our ranks and responsibilities have changed. We appreciate God because we thought it was impossible.

“We appreciate the Corps Marshal and all our senior officers here present today. We say a big thank you,” he said.

Reports have it that the occasion was graced by the Zonal Commanding Officer RS11

MORE READING!  Lady harassed in moving bus speaks, says I was the only female on board

Assistant Corps Marshal Godwin Ogaghaogene, and the Kwara Sector Commander, Corps Commander Joshua Owoade.

Continue Reading

General

OOU produces anti-COVID-19 herbal syrup, sends sample to NAFDAC for approval

Published

on

Some researchers at the Olabisi Onabanjo University [OOU], Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State claim to have produced a herbal solution which can prevent, treat and manage coronavirus [COVID-19] disease.

The anti-COVID-19 solution is tagged OOU-Anjo Anti-COVID- 9 herbal syrup, the Vice-Chancellor of the University, Prof. Ganiyu Olatunde, told newsmen during a briefing at the new Senate building of the university in Ago-Iwoye.

A group of researchers at the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago – Iwoye, Ogun State have produced COVID – 19 preventive, treatment and management herb tagged OOU – Anjo Anti – COVID – 19 herbal syrup.

The VC, who was flanked by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), Prof. Deji Agboola, and his counterpart (Administration), Prof. Ebun Oduwole, unveiled the product.

The institution also dispenser hands sanitizer, personal hands sanitizer and face masks which were produced by the researchers.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: S/Korea reports 27 more cases

According to the VC, the OOU – Anjo Anti – COVID – 19 herbal syrup had been submitted to the National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control [NAFDAC] for approval before releasing into it the market.

He said:

“Our university is one of the core Universities that engage in research into the COVID-19 pandemic and in partnership with Anjo, who’s one of our very core effective partners in herbal medicine, we’ve been able to produce an Anti – COVID-19 herbal syrup which we’ve processed to NAFDAC for approval.

“So, I can assure you that it went through all the necessary protocols that you can have in trying to produce a herbal syrup. It’s a joint effort of Anjo and Olabisi Onabanjo’s Department of Medicine research.

“Apart from that, since the era of Ebola, we’ve been involved in the production of hand sanitisers, the health centre was involved, the department of chemistry is also involved.

“We also have some sections of the university that is involved in the production of face masks, face shield which are being requested for by a number of Organizations.

“So in terms of our research, they’ve also been involved in the production of sanitiser. So, the prototype of hand sanitizer and automated solar power dispenser production.

“This machine was produced by our faculty of engineering and is to ensure the sanitization of hands. It is different from the one you do see, we’ve been taught two ways to wash our hands, either through the use of hand sanitizer or using soap under running water. So, it is different, it is automated, once it senses your hand and it is also solar-powered.

“We’ve been talking to one or two companies, as we’ve told them that this it dispenses adequate amount of sanitiser, so there’s no contact.

One of the researchers, Acting Director, Research, Linkages and Advancement, OOU, Dr Ashidi Joseph, said the remedy is “anti-bacteria, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and anticoagulant.”

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Ondo records two new deaths

Ashidi said the remedy was formulated based on results of post-mortem research conducted on those who died of COVID – 19 infections as the team had no access to samples of COVID-19 patients for laboratory test with the syrup.

Continue Reading

General

You are next to be raped, Nigerian man reacts to Lady’s new pictures on social media

Published

on

'You are next to be raped', Nigerian Man reacts to Lady's new pictures on social media

A Nigerian man has taken to social media to make an insensitive comment about raping a female social media user.

The man identified as @onitaiw90103522 on Twitter took to the platform to threaten a female user of rape after she shared photos of herself to usher in the new month.

The Lady with handle @Ada_Zee_ took to twitter, shared her new photos with the caption:

Hello, June.

READ ALSO: Nigerian Adult film star, Kingtblakhoc, allegedly accused of using 13-year-old for his [email protected] movie (videos)

While reacting to the photos, the Twitter user with handle @Onitaiw90103522 replied saying:

“You are the next to be raped”

His comment and photos are now being circulated on Twitter after he was reported and taken down from the platform by the support team.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: S/Korea reports 27 more cases
Continue Reading




Trending