Connect with us

General

Chip factory expansion: Samsung sends 300 more workers to China

Published

Chip factory expansion: Samsung sends 300 more workers to China

The world’s largest memory chipmaker, Samsung Electronics Co.,  said on Friday that it had sent 300 more South Korean engineers and workers to China to complete the expansion of its second chip manufacturing facility there amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

Samsung said engineers and workers, including some from its subcontractors, left for the Chinese city of Xian on a chartered flight earlier in the day.

MORE READING!  Passengers can now arrive airport 1 hour 30 minutes before flights – Sirika

The move came a month after Samsung dispatched 200 engineers to the Xian plant in Shaanxi Province.

READ ALSO: Nigerian humanitarian, Dr. Jack-Rich, featured in Forbes China May Issue 2020

Samsung said the workers will be exempted from 14-day mandatory isolation under a fast-track entry system approved by South Korea and China, but they still need to be quarantined for three days even after they all test negative for the virus.

MORE READING!  FG evacuates 270 Nigerians stranded in Egypt

Earlier this week, Samsung Electronics Vice Chairman Lee Jae-yong returned home from his trip to the Xian plant.

The Xian plant is Samsung’s only foreign memory chip factory that makes 3D NAND flash products.

The South Korean tech giant last year revealed it will invest an additional U.S.$8 billion in the plant for expansion.

MORE READING!  Oyo discharges 67 more Covid-19 patients

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

General

Photos of US village housing Americans practising Yoruba culture

Published

on

Africans in South Carolina have found a means to preserve one of Nigeria’s oldest and most popular culture, that of the Yoruba.

This is Oyotunji village in South Carolina.

The community was founded by a black American named Walter Eugene King who was born on October 5, 1928, in Detroit, Michigan, USA.

Eugene went to the Cass Technical High School and got fascinated by the African culture.

He also got exposed to the Katherine Dunham Dance Troupe at the age of 20 which increased his love for the African culture, particularly that of the Yorubas.

MORE READING!  Covid-19 recoveries in Oyo exceed 900- Makinde

On August 26, 1959, Eugene became the first African born in America to become fully initiated into the Orisa-Vodun African priesthood by African Cubans in Matanzas, Cuba. This marked the beginning of the spread of Yoruba religion and culture among African Americans.

With a few followers, and after the dissolution of the Order of Damballah Hwedo, Eugene founded the Sango Temple in New York and incorporated the African Theological Arch Ministry in 1960.

MORE READING!  SHOCKING! After 18 years of marriage, Nigerian couple welcome set of twins three weeks apart (Video)

The Sango Temple was relocated and renamed the Yoruba Temple the same year.

In the fall of 1970, Eugene founded the Yoruba Village of Oyotunji in Beaufort County South Carolina and began the careful reorganization of the Orisa-Vodu Priesthood along traditional Nigerian lines. He was initiated to the Ifa priesthood by the Oluwa of Ijeun at Abeokuta, Nigeria, in August of 1972.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Reps reject FG’s cancellation of 2020 WASSCE

He was named king of Oyotunji community in 1972 with the designation, His Royal Highness Oba (King) Ofuntola Oseijeman Adelabu Adefunmi I, born Baba Adefunmi.

He later died and his son, Adefunmi Adejuyigbe took over as king.

See photos:

Continue Reading

General

UPDATE: Hushpuppi denied bail, to remain in prison

Published

on

HushPuppy

Suspected Nigerian fraudster and Instagram celebrity, Hushpuppi has been denied bail in the United States where he was extradited to on charges of cyber fraud.

Ramon Abbas bail application failed in spite of his lawyer, Gal Pissetzky insisting that his job as an Instagram celebrity paid for the $10,000 monthly rent on his luxury Dubai flat.

His lawyer, Gal Pissetzky, had applied for bail and requested that he is given an ankle monitor while he lives with the uncle of a woman he has a baby with, but US prosecutors opposed the bail application.

MORE READING!  Oyo discharges 67 more Covid-19 patients

US prosecutors said that he poses a flight risk and could commit a crime with just a smartphone and an internet connection.

On reaction, Pissetzky stated that Hushpuppi has much to lose if he flees after bail, he told a judge in Chicago by videolink;

“He is loved and respected. He is a celebrity.

“I don’t see the reason why he would want to ruin his credibility in the world and his status rather than stay here and face this allegation.

“Anywhere he goes, people will know. Having grown up very poor in Nigeria, Mr Abbas is now paid to pose with high-priced items such as Louis Vuitton bags that people would buy after seeing his posts on Instagram.

“He is an influencer. That’s a job today, as much as it is hard to imagine. That’s a full-time job.”

Judge Jeffrey Gilbert who watched the proceedings from a prison video link, denied Hushpuppi bail on grounds of him being a flight risk. Gilbert ordered that the suspected Nigerian fraudster be remanded in custody until he is taken to a court in California.

MORE READING!  90 Percent of staff at Ghana education ministry test positive for Covid-19
Continue Reading

General

EFCC presents witnesses against Mompha’s alleged accomplices

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has presented witnesses against Mompha’s alleged accomplices, Kayode Phillips and Hamza Koudeih before Justice Muslim S. Hassan of the Federal High Court, Ikoyi, Lagos.

Philips and Koudeih are alleged to be high-valued targets in Organized Cyber Syndicate Network (OCSN). They were arraigned on November 28, 2019, on 25-count charges bordering on conspiracy and money laundering.

One of the charges read;

“That you, Kayode Phillips (a.k.a Voice of the King) and Hamza Koudeih (a.k.a. HK), sometime in May 2019 within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, conspired among yourselves to commit an offence to wit conversion of the aggregate sum of $7, 069, 000 (Seven Million, Sixty-nine Thousand United States Dollars), £1, 000, 000 (One Million Pounds) and €80,000 (Eighty Thousand Euro) which sums you reasonably ought to have known form part of the proceeds of fraud and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Sections 18 (a), 15 (2)(d) of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act, 2015 and punishable under Section 15(3) of the same Act.”

Buhari, a forensic expert with the EFCC, gave a detailed account of the findings he made on the computer hard disk and two mobile phones recovered from Philips, the first defendant.

MORE READING!  Akeredolu set to meet workers over strike threat

He disclosed that these included the lead document and transfer instructions to some people.

“My lord, I also found in the phones, chats between the first defendant and some other people, where he was discussing how to market each lead document to them,” he said.

They, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges, thus setting off their trial.

MORE READING!  Passengers can now arrive airport 1 hour 30 minutes before flights – Sirika

Justice Hassan subsequently adjourned the matter till July 20 and 21, 2020 for ruling and continuation of trial.

Continue Reading




Trending