Connect with us

Metro

Sanwo-Olu rescues man from attempting suicide on third mainland bridge

Published

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Friday, rescued a man who wanted to commit suicide because he has a debt of N500,000.

The governor made this known while speaking to journalists after he visited the Lagos Island Maternity Hospital, Broad Street and some other hospitals in different parts of the State, to celebrate Eid-el-Kabir with in-patients and health practitioners.

Speaking on his response to a recent viral video of a boy begging his mother to calm down while punishing him for an offence he committed, Governor Sanwo-Olu said he believes strongly in paying attention and creating time to little things because there might be somebody somewhere who needs help.

MORE READING!  33 people killed in Southern Kaduna fresh attacks – SOKAPU

He said:

“You look at big things but you need to certainly create time for little things as well. That is the difference. You know, you are going to build a bridge and it is nice but you have somebody who is just somewhere who needs help.

“Just this morning (Friday), we rescued somebody who was planning to jump at the Third Mainland Bridge all because he said he has a debt of N500,000. We had to rescue him and we paid the debt. Those little details are what make the difference.

“I don’t have two heads, I don’t have 15 fingers. We are still same human beings. So, we need to show that human part of us while we are not losing sight of the big picture. The big picture is that we want to build roads, bridges and new schools. But we also need to pay attention to little one like the young boy on that video. By the way, I have spoken to him and his mother. They are doing great and I will see him one of these days very soon.”

Metro

UI student’s death: Family demands CCTV footage of incident

Published

on

The family of Richard Gbadebo, a 300-level student of the Department of European Studies, Faculty of Arts, University of Ibadan, who died at a factory last week has demanded for the Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) footage of the accident.

The Father of the deceased, Mr Shola Gbadebo, made the demand to know how his son died before he would believe the death was an accident.

This is as he also appealed to the Oyo State government to help facilitate thorough investigations to ascertain the true cause of his son’s death.

Mr. Gbadebo made the demands on Thursday when a delegation of the state government paid a condolence visit to the family residence in Idi Ahun, Elebu, Ibadan the Oyo state capital city.

The state government delegation was led by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources, Dr Bashir Olanrewaju.

MORE READING!  I was famous in Akure before my wife hypnotised me into marrying her - man tells court

The father of the deceased who was still obviously in pains insisted that before any attempt to initiate talks with the family by the management of the soap factory, the family of Richard must be assured that there was no foul play or conspiracy in the death.

He lamented that he had endured harsh economic realities just to ensure the late Richard and his elder sister concluded their University education before the unfortunate incidence, appealing to the state government to prevail on the company to play the CCTV camera installed in the factory so that everyone could watch how the accident that claimed the life of his only son happened.

Gbadebo, a mason said he would not believe that his son’s death was accidental until he watched the CCTV camera footage that would show how the accident happened.

MORE READING!  I was suicidal after my husband divorced me, but Tacha saved me, lady reveals

He said he will not be willing to discuss or receive any form of compensation from the company until he is sure that his son’s death was actually accidental.

Gbadebo said

“Issue of compensation doesn’t arise now. My son could become Governor or President in future if he is alive, so I don’t care about what they will offer me.

“My appeal is that the government should assist me to pressurize the company to show its CCTV camera footages so that the whole world would see how my son died.

“I want the investigators to make sure they play the CCTV that covered what really happened on that day. Unless they play it, it is after that I will know that there is no foul play before they can even come to me for anything. They should just play the CCTV camera footage in order to make it transparent that what really happened was an accident.”

Speaking on behalf of the state government, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources, Dr Bashir Olanrewaju said the state government has begun a safety audit of the factory and would ensure that necessary sanctions would be meted on the company and ensure compensation for the bereaved family.

MORE READING!  Woman found dead in Delta Governor's LGA

Olanrewaju, who described the incident as unfortunate, assured the family that government would do everything to unravel the cause of the accident, adding that the government would ensure that preventive measures are put in place in the factory and other companies in the state to avoid reoccurrence of such in the future.

Continue Reading

Metro

African family of five including two children killed in suspected arson attack in Denver (Photos)

Published

on

An African family of five including two children have been killed in a suspected arson attack in Denver, Colorado.

Mr Djibril Diol, his wife, daughter, sister, and niece all died in a house fire in Green Valley Ranch on Wednesday, August 5. But three other adult residents managed to escape by jumping from the house and are expected to be ok.

According to the Denver Post, the family had immigrated from Senegal some years back and were staying at their friend’s home until they could find one of their own.

MORE READING!  I got their father's permission, says 28-year-old man accused of raping, impregnating two teenagers

The report said an alarm was raised by a Denver police officer who noticed smoke in the area; before police and firefighters descended on the address shortly after 2:30 AM Wednesday morning.

When they got to the scene, it was sadly too late to save the family who all were trapped inside.

MORE READING!  Kidnappers abduct funeral-goers in Enugu, demand N5m ransom per victim

Fire Captain Greg Pixley said officers made several attempts to get into the home to rescue those trapped but were beaten back by intense flames which damaged two neighbouring homes.

According to him, the horrific tragedy could have been even worse, had firefighters not managed to stop the spread of the fire to the surrounding houses.

Denver Police Chief Joe Montoya confirmed the investigation is a homicide one.

“We have indication through some evidence that it was an arson,” he said, but refused to elaborate any further.

Fire investigators will work with the Denver Police Department’s homicide unit to determine “the true story of this fire.
Friends of the family in the tight-knit community said Diol was an engineer, while both his wife and sister worked for Amazon.

MORE READING!  Man falls off vehicle in Anambra, dies

 

See Photos below;

Continue Reading

Metro

Man robbed of his entire life savings outside bank seconds after withdrawing the money (Video)

Published

on

A man was robbed of his entire life savings outside a bank just seconds after he withdrew the money from his bank.

The man identified as Francisco Cornejo was attacked outside a Chase Bank in Huntington Park, California, US.

A masked man was seen on video running off with Francisco Cornejo’s life savings of $200,000.

The video shows Francisco Cornejo trying to grab the thief as he falls to the ground. He can then be heard begging for help as the man runs off with his money.

MORE READING!  Kidnappers abduct funeral-goers in Enugu, demand N5m ransom per victim

The money came from a recent sale of his house and was everything he had in his bank account.

Francisco’s lawyer, Nathan Soleimani explained:

“He was parked as close as possible to the bank, knowing he was going to withdraw a large amount of cash.

“Before he was able to get to his car, he was grabbed and beaten.

“And when he was being beaten he was doing his best to try and retain the bag that he brought with him.”

The lawyer said investigators are now looking into CCTV footage from the bank to try and hunt the suspect. The FBI is also involved and a representative from Chase Bank said they were working with law enforcement.

MORE READING!  Man falls off vehicle in Anambra, dies

Though the violent attack left Francisco battered and bruised, his family say they are grateful he’s alive.

Huntington Park police has asked anyone with information to call.

Below is a video of the attack;

Continue Reading




Trending