Connect with us

General

School reopening: Ogun begins mandatory Covid-19, malaria tests for SS3 students

Published

As part of the protocols for school resumption, the Ogun State government has announced that COVID-19 and malaria tests will be mandatory for returning boarding students.

The state had earlier fixed resumption of SS3 students for August 4, months after a nationwide halt of academic activities necessitated by COVID-19.

The decision is a resolve to allow the students to prepare for the Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE) slated to begin on August 17.

MORE READING!  Student who created Goodluck Jonathan’s parody account, freed after 82 days in detention

As of the time of filing this report, over 40,000 Nigerians have contracted the respiratory killer-disease which broke out in February.

Meanwhile, in a statement on Saturday evening, Ronke Soyombo, the Special Assistant to the Governor on Primary and Secondary education, noted that the state has made provisions for the two tests.

“The ministry of health has made provision for a COVID-19 and MALARIA TEST for all SS3 BOARDING students in Ogun State as part of the conditions for the reopening of schools in the under listed Public Health Care facilities between Friday 31st July & Monday 3rd August, 2020,” she said.

The facilities listed include Ogun State General Hospital, Ota, the 250 MTR Okemosan, Abeokuta, and Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu.

MORE READING!  Nigeria records 423 new Covid-19 cases, toll now 47,290

She added that part of the strong condition of admittance to school for boarding students is the COVID-19 certificate showing ‘Negative’.

“All Principals are therefore directed to immediately disseminate the above important information to all SS3 learners in the State and to ensure that the above instructions are strictly adhered to as sanctions will be meted out to any defaulting school,” Mrs Soyombo stated.

General

Widow sues SARS for abducting son, demanding N500k for release

Published

on

Special Anti-Robbery Squad

A petty trader, Regina Stanley, who also happens to be a widow, has dragged the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) before the Federal High Court in Lagos for abducting and illegally detaining her son whom she had sent on an errand since March 28 2020.

She also accused SARS operatives of demanding N500, 000 for the release of her son, Sunday Stanley, which she did not have.

She told the court that she sent her son on an errand in the Morogbo area of Lagos State when she was informed by her fellow traders that he had been abducted and locked up in Black Maria van by SARS operatives raiding the area.

MORE READING!  Nigeria records 423 new Covid-19 cases, toll now 47,290

In an affidavit attached to a fundamental rights suit, seeking an order for the release of her son, Regina said;

“I went to my place of trade together with my son who assists me in my trade. At about 11.30am, I sent my son on an errand only to be informed by my fellow traders that my son had been arrested and locked up inside the Black Maria by armed agents of the 3rd respondent.

“I hurriedly closed my trade and went to the place where my son and other persons had been arrested and locked up. Every effort made by me to secure the release of my son proved abortive.

“My son, together with other persons, was driven to SARS office at Ikeja police command. Agents of the respondents levied all sorts of trumped-up allegations against my son and told me to bring N500,000 to secure his release. Because of my inability to get the money my son has been detained since the 28th of March, 2020 till date. He is my only child and my husband has passed away since 2019.”

The lawyer of the widow, Olukoya Ogungbeje filed a suit in the name of the detained Sunday Stanley and urged the court to declare his arrest as unlawful, oppressive and a violation of his fundamental right to personal liberty and fair hearing provided for under sections 33, 35, 36 and 41 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

MORE READING!  Prophet defrauds woman of N2m, impregnates her two teenage daughters

He also prayed the court to order the immediate release of the Widow’s son as well as order the Nigerian Police to issue a public apology in a national newspaper.

He also prayed the court to order an award of N50m in damages to the plaintiff for his unlawful arrest, detention and humiliation by SARS.

MORE READING!  Disregard news of my removal – Unilag VC
Continue Reading

General

JUST IN: Tight security as UNILAG Senate meets

Published

on

UNILAG

Security has been tightened around the Senate building of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) as its Senate meets at the Ade Ajayi Main auditorium to discuss the sudden removal of Prof. Oluwatoyin Ogundipe as Vice-Chancellor by the Governing Council in Abuja on Wednesday.

Prof Theophilus Soyombo of the Faculty of Science was announced Acting Vice-Chancellor in the wee hours of Thursday by the Registrar and Secretary to Council, Mr Oladejo Azeez.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Ikpeazu reveals why he was treated in Abuja facility

The Nation observed access to the Senate Building, the administrative hub of the University, housing the offices of the Vice-Chancellor, other principal officers as well as the Senate Chamber, was restricted.

Visitors and members of staff without offices in the building were not allowed in.

The situation may have forced the Senate to move its meeting, which is ongoing, to the main auditorium.

MORE READING!  Buhari signs instrument for African Trade Insurance Agency

Members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) are also scheduled to hold a Congress to debate Ogundipe’s removal.

The Nation learnt ASUU warned Soyombo not to resume as An. VC.

However, a source said Soyombo described his appointment as a “call to service”.

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

General

Marriage is the biggest scam in Nigeria, stay single, Kemi Olunloyo warns

Published

on

Abba Kyari: Kemi Olunloyo trends on Twitter after death was announced

Single mother of three and controversial investigative journalist, Kemi Omololu Olunloyo has opined that marriage is a very big scam.

According to the Yoruba born social media commentator, EFCC has to arrest married people before scammers as marriage is the biggest scam in Nigeria.

She took to microblogging platform, Twitter and wrote:

“Marriage is the biggest scam in Nigeria. Bigger than 419. The EFCC has to arrest married people before Yahoo boys”

She continued;

“Open your eyes! Stay Single!Never been married, never will. I said this at 37 years old. 30 years later my class mates are divorced or on 4th husband like Joy Nunieh. Many married men kill wives too, frequent prostitutes, side chick. Dump that marriage culture, buy a sex toy and live”.

Kemi Olunloyo who has never been married has 3 children for three different men. Wikipedia describes her as a Nigerian journalist, blogger and activist against gun violence, and social media personality.

MORE READING!  Akeredolu’s son, Babajide, tests positive for Covid-19
Continue Reading




Trending