Connect with us

Politics

Senate gives Buhari five days to submit ministerial list

Published

Senate President

The Senate has given President Muhammadu Buhari till Friday to submit the list of ministerial nominees for screening, failure of which the red chamber will proceed on its two-month annual recess.

In line with its annual calendar, the National Assembly is meant to go on its annual recess on July 26 and resume on September 26.

Buhari, who won election in February and was sworn in on May 29, has continued to delay the submission of the ministerial list, arguing that he will need to take his time to appoint the people he knows.

The Chairman, Senate ad hoc Committee on Media and Public Affairs Affairs, Senator Adedayo Adeyeye, in an exclusive interview on Saturday night, said the red chamber would proceed on its annual two-month recess this week if the Senate did not get the ministerial list by Friday.

He said, “If the list does not come before Friday, the Senate will proceed on its annual recess. We are not giving the president any ultimatum. The schedule of the Senate will go ahead if the Senate does not receive the list. The list is the only thing that can hold us back.”

Adeyeye said the President was at liberty to send the list whenever he pleased and that the Senate also had a duty to consider it in the overriding national interest.

He added, “However, any time they submit the list, we will consider it. It is not our responsibility to put pressure on the President. We can be recalled whenever the list is submitted even if we are already on recess, in the overriding national interest.’’

Corroborating this position, the Minority Leader of the Senate, Enyinnaya Abaribe, said that the Senate would go on its annual recess on schedule.

We asked him if the Senate would still postpone its annual recess despite the fact that the President had not submitted the ministerial nominees’ list.

Abaribe said, “The Senate will keep to its schedule.”

Findings revealed that the upper legislative chamber would require at least two weeks to screen the 36 ministerial nominees being expected from the President.

Meanwhile, investigations showed that members of the red chamber were divided over the proposal by the President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, that members might have to postpone their recess to treat Buhari’s lists.

Some senators, who spoke with one of our correspondents off the record, said the idea of postponing the recess was not yet a resolution of the House.

Lawan had two Wednesdays ago said that the President could most likely submit the ministerial list for consideration and approval of the red chamber before the end of that week.

He had said that the executive arm of government was working hard to ensure that the list was ready early enough before the senators proceed on their annual two -month recess.

MORE READING!  Igbo owe Buhari eternal gratitude - Arthur Eze

The President of the Senate was then reacting to a point of order raised by Senator Bassey Akpan to the effect that the delay in the submission of the list could affect the holidays of the senators.

But Lawan said his colleagues had expressed readiness to sacrifice their time to screen the nominees when forwarded to the upper legislative chamber.

Lawan said, “This is to inform this Senate that the Executive arm of government is working very hard to get the list of ministerial nominees to the Senate.

“I can imagine that before this (penultimate) week runs out, we could get the list.

“I want to assure you that once we get the list, every senator here has shown and expressed the desire to stay long enough to screen and confirm ministerial nominees in the interest of this country for the country to be taken to the next level.”

Akpan had earlier stressed the need for Lawan to urge President Buhari to forward the ministerial list on time as the National Assembly would soon embark on annual recess.

This, he explained, was to avoid putting lawmakers under undue pressure, especially if the President decided to forward the list on the eve of their recess.

He had said, “We understand the passion of Mr President to consolidate on the gains that he has so far attained.

“If we are going on this long vacation in two weeks (July 26), and by now, we have not received the ministerial nominees, it means we will have to put ourselves under intense pressure.

‘‘It is our collective responsibility that we must support Mr President to succeed.

“I am just bringing to the attention of Mr Senate President that there is a need for you to please urge Mr President to send in the list of ministerial nominees so that the Senate can confirm them immediately.”

Meanwhile, other senators who corroborated the position of Akpan in separate chats with Sunday PUNCH on condition of anonymity, said they were already looking forward to the long vacation.

A senator from the South-East geopolitical zone said, “I have planned to travel and all arrangements have been perfected.

“It is not yet a resolution of the Senate that we should postpone our holiday to screen the nominees.

“I’m not even sure there will be a need for the postponement because the President does not appear to be in a hurry to send the list.’’

No response from Presidency

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters (Senate), Senator Ita Enang, was asked whether Buhari would forward the list of ministerial nominees to the National Assembly before Thursday, next week, but he refused to comment.

“I will not be able to speak and it is not wise for me to speak. That is my response,” he stated.

Buhari needs ministers to drive economy – Economists

MORE READING!  Oyo workers may enjoy six months maternity, four weeks paternity leave

The delay by the President in appointing members of his cabinet is having a negative impact on the economy, experts have said.

As a result, they called on the President to quickly constitute his cabinet in order to achieve the objectives set out when he took the oath of office on May 29 for his second term.

Speaking on the economic implications of the delay in appointing ministers, a professor of Economics, Sheriffdeen Tella, stated that ministers should to be appointed in order to drive the economic programmes of the government.

He said, “Of course it (delay in appointing cabinet members) is slowing down action on the economy because a Permanent Secretary cannot play the role of a minister.

“A minister is supposed to actually carry out the party agenda. The Permanent Secretary is a technocrat and so the delay is actually slowing down action on the economy in all ramifications because the Permanent Secretary’s function is different from that of a minister.

“And when you don’t have a minister, it simply means the President is doing everything and the President cannot do everything effectively.

“So it has serious implications for the economy.”

Also speaking, a developmental economist, Odilim Enwagbara, noted that the cabinet delay was having a negative impact on the economy as there were agreements that permanent secretaries could not sign on behalf of the country.

He said, “The President won a re-election in February and five months after, he cannot constitute a cabinet. Such is not good for our economy. There are critical roles that ministers perform in the running of the government and without them, things will not move.

“There are certain agreements that Permanent Secretaries cannot sign. A one-man government is a dangerous government and that is not the way to go. We are beginning to experience what we went through in 2015 when it took the President about six months to form his cabinet.”

Commenting on the development, the Founder, Centre for Value in Leadership, Prof Pat Utomi, did not quite believe the delay in forming the cabinet would affect the economy.

He said people who did risk analysis should have factored in the fact that there could be a delayed period of the pattern experienced in the past.

He said what was more important was the leading consensus in Nigeria around where Nigerians wished the country to go, saying that was what people would look at and make a decision with it.

He said what would reduce uncertainty was more of a long -term view and perspective plan on issues.

He said the elite generally had a shared vision of what their country was going through and things that would make it continue to run.

MORE READING!  Buhari sends floral basket to bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung, Chairman Kim Jong Il

He, however, stated that what was more problematic was that the country did not have a shared vision as people chose to run in different directions.

Utomi said, “Well, I really can’t say anything for a fact. People who do risk analysis, I think may already have factored in the fact that there could be a delayed period of that pattern in the past, so in their calculation that has been accounted for.

“There should be more long- term view and perspective plan on issues so that it will reduce uncertainty and, therefore, does not matter whether there is a cabinet or no cabinet. The elite generally have a shared vision of what their country is going through and that things will continue to run.

“That is what is more problematic in Nigeria. We don’t quite have the shared vision – people are going in different directions and all of that.”

Delay in forming cabinet not good for economy -LCCI

Speaking on the effect of the delay, the Director-General, Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Mr Muda Yusuf, stated that the delay was not good for the economy, noting that the delay had adverse implications for the economy and investments.

Yusuf, in a telephone interview with one of our correspondents on Saturday, explained that there were certain decisions beyond permanent secretaries in the respective ministries and that such could slow down the pace of government activities.

This, he said, was in addition to the weekly Federal Executive Council meeting that would not hold until ministers were appointed.

He said, “The delay contributes to the challenge of uncertainty that you have in the economy, and uncertainty can undermine investors’ confidence. When that happens, it has a negative impact on investments generally.

“So, from the point of view of investors’ confidence, it is not good for the economy, because when you have ministers in place, you have better clarity as to how the government wants to move forward, how it wants to function, implement its policies and such things. Therefore, that team is very important.

“Then, there are things that the permanent secretaries in the ministries cannot handle if they don’t have ministers and some of those decisions could have implications for the economy and the investment environment. That is also an issue.

“Also, the absence of ministers means that you don’t have a Federal Executive Council, which meets once in a week to take very important decisions that affect the economy and certain aspects of budget implementation. You know that sometimes when talking about awarding major contracts, they take it to FEC and if you don’t have FEC in place, you may not move forward with such decisions. That is also taking its toll on the economy and it means those decisions and the projects cannot take place.”

PUNCH

Politics

Reveal dollars you gave PDP tax collectors – Ize Iyamu to Obaseki

Published

on

The governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Edo State, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, has challenged his counterpart in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Governor Godwin Obaseki, to reveal how much dollars he gave PDP’s tax collectors for the party’s governorship ticket.

He asked Obaseki to stop distracting Edo people with screening of videos involving Kano State Governor Umar Ganduje, at Ring Road, near the palace of Oba of Benin.

MORE READING!  PHOTOS: Buhari presides over sixth virtual FEC meeting

Ize-Iyamu, through the Director of Communication and Media of his campaign organisation, Prince John Mayaki, told Obaseki to reveal the number of state funds he wasted on his ill-thought and treacherous Comrade Adams Oshiomhole-must-go project.

He said:

“It is unfortunate that Obaseki, the outgoing governor of Edo State, has continued in his irresponsible ways, chiefs of which include the abuse of office and utilisation of state purse and agencies to pursue personal ambitions.

“In a desperate move to maintain relevance—as his name had been fast leaving the lips of Edo people, and his significance fading in their minds—he has compelled the state agency to display a disputed video involving Governor Ganduje.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Singapore set to vote in new government despite Covid-19 outbreak

Published

on

Singapore

Singaporeans begin to cast their votes for the 2020 General Election as 1,100 polling stations open throughout the republic at 8 am today.

The 18th General Election for Singapore and the 13th since independence in 1965 are being held in a “new normal” with safe distancing regulations and restrictions amidst the prevailing Covid-19 situation.

Dubbed as a “critical election,” it will shape the way forward for Singaporeans in facing a shady outlook triggered by the deadly Coronavirus which has already infected more than 12 million people worldwide.

MORE READING!  Magu: Osinbajo didn’t accept N4bn, Laolu Akandesays

A solo independent candidate and 11 political parties including the ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) are competing for 17 Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs) and 14 Single Member Constituencies (SMCs) to fill 93 parliamentary seats.

The 10 other parties are the Workers’ Party, the Progress Singapore Party, the Singapore Democratic Party, Peoples Voice, National Solidarity Party, Reform Party, Singapore People’s Party, People’s Power Party, Red Dot United, and Singapore Democratic Alliance.

MORE READING!  Buhari sends floral basket to bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung, Chairman Kim Jong Il

With a total of 2,653,942 electors, this is the second consecutive general election in which the PAP has fielded candidates in all 31 electoral divisions.

Among the hotly contested seats are two five-member GRCs namely Al-Junied where the Workers’ Party is incumbent, and West Coast which the PAP and the newly-formed Progress Singapore Party led by its chief Dr Tan Cheng Bock, will fight for.

For the five-member Ang Mo Kio GRC, PAP’s secretary-general Lee Hsien Loong, who is the Prime Minister, and his team are contesting against the Reform Party led by its chief, Kenneth Andrew Jeyaretnam.

MORE READING!  BREAKING: Buhari reappoints Dambatta as EVC/CEO of NCC

Only Pioneer SMC and Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC will see a three-cornered fight in the general election.

In the 2015 general election, which saw all seats contested for the first time since independence, PAP swept 83 out of 89 seats, winning 69.9% of the popular vote, up by 9.8 points.

Continue Reading

Politics

17 parties interested in Ondo governorship election, says INEC

Published

on

No fewer than seventeen political parties have indicated an interest in participating in the Ondo State governorship election slated for October 10, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said.

INEC said only the Boot Party, of the 18 registered parties, has not notified it of its intention to conduct primaries.

A statement by the National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye, reads:

“The Boot Party did not give any notification of its intention to conduct primaries for the Ondo State governorship election.

“Section 85 (1) of the Electoral Act makes it mandatory for registered political parties to give the commission at least 21 days notice of any congress or meeting convened to nominate candidates for any elective offices specified in the Act. Details of the parties and their calendar of congresses/primaries (including dates and modes of primaries) have been published on the commission’s website and social media platforms.

“Parties are required to submit a comprehensive list of all the delegates eligible to participate in the primaries at least seven days before the scheduled date.

“The INEC portal for uploading nomination forms will open on July 21 and close at 6pm on July 28. Parties must also observe all the health protocols and guidelines stipulated by the commission, Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the state. They must also enforce the ‘no mask, no voting’ policy in their primaries.

MORE READING!  APC Chairman allegedly caught defiling two teenage girls in Nasarawa
Continue Reading




Trending