Connect with us

Coronavirus

Senegal to lift curfew, allow international flight

Published

Senegal president Macky Sall announced on Monday that the country’s state of emergency and curfew, imposed as a result of the coronavirus, would be lifted on Tuesday and international flights would resume from next month.

In a televised speech, Sall pointed to the economic fallout of the pandemic, saying that growth in the impoverished country would slow “from to 6.8 percent to 1.1 per cent or even less”.

Senegal could even see a recession, he suggested, saying that “all our productive activity must be resumed in order to get our economy going again.

“Just as we cannot let the virus take our lives and our health, we cannot let it take our economic health and life,” Sall added.

The president was speaking from his residence where, although he has tested negative for the coronavirus, he has spent the past week in quarantine after coming into contact with an infected person.

“Given this double necessity, I have decided to lift the state of emergency and the curfew” starting from 2300 GMT on Tuesday, he said. 

Senegal would reopen its borders to international air travel from July 15, but it’s land and sea borders would remain closed.

MORE READING!  Adamawa Correspondents’ Chapel office burgled on Exco inauguration day

Face masks will remain mandatory in public and markets will be closed for one day per week for cleaning.

The restrictions were imposed when the first case of COVID-19 was confirmed in the country on March 2, but some measures have already been eased in recent weeks.

Senegal has officially declared 6,698 cases of coronavirus so far and 108 deaths, but the disease appears to be spreading and recent media reports have suggested that medical centres are reaching their capacity limits.

MORE READING!  Kiki Osinbajo denies part in N4 billion alleged loot

 

 

 

 

 

AFP

Coronavirus

Egypt records 923 new COVID-19 cases, total now 81,158

Published

on

Egypt on Saturday confirmed 923 new COVID-19 infections, raising the tally in the country to 81,158, Egyptian Health Ministry said.

Meanwhile, 67 patients died from COVID-19, bringing the death toll to 3,769 while 602 patients were cured and discharged from hospitals.

This takes the total recoveries to 23,876, according to Egyptian Health Ministry Spokesman, Khaled Megahed, in a statement.

Megahed also underlined Egypt’s close cooperation with the World Health Organisation regarding the pandemic.

MORE READING!  Adamawa Correspondents’ Chapel office burgled on Exco inauguration day

Egypt announced its first confirmed COVID-19 case on Feb. 14 and the first death from the highly infectious virus on March 8.

The North African country resumed international flights on July 1 after more than three months of suspension, amid a “coexistence plan” to maintain anti-coronavirus precautionary measures while resuming economic activities.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Port Harcourt International Airport reopens

The country has recently lifted a partial night curfew it imposed over the past three months and reopened restaurants, cafes, theatres and cinemas as well as hotels, museums and archaeological sites for tourists, all with limited capacity.

Egypt and China have been cooperating closely in fighting the pandemic through exchanging medical aid and expertise.

In February, Egypt provided aid to China to help with its fight against COVID-19 and China later returned the favour by sending three batches of medical aid to the North African country, the latest of which was in mid-May.

MORE READING!  Ekiti begins recruitment for Amotekun corps

Since mid-April, Chinese doctors and medical experts have held three video conferences with Egyptian counterparts to share their experience in the prevention and treatment of the novel coronavirus.

Continue Reading

General

Nigeria records 664 new Covid-19 cases, total now 31,987

Published

on

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed 664 new cases of COVID-19 in the country, bringing the total number to 31,987.

Lagos State came tops again with 244 new cases of COVID-19 in a total of 664 new confirmed cases.

The NCDC made the announcement on Saturday night via its Twitter handle.

“On the 11th of July 2020, 664 new confirmed cases and 15 deaths were recorded in Nigeria. No new state has reported a case in the last 24 hours.

“Till date, 31987 cases have been confirmed, 13103 cases have been discharged and 724 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

“The 664 new cases are reported from 18 states; Lagos-224, FCT-105, Edo-85, Ondo-64, Kaduna-32, Imo-27, Osun-19, Plateau-17, Oyo-17, Ogun-17, Rivers-14, Delta-11, Adamawa-10, Enugu-7, Nassarawa-6, Gombe-3, Abia-3, Ekiti-3,” the NCDC said.

See the breakdown of cases by state below;

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Port Harcourt International Airport reopens

664 new cases of #COVID19Nigeria;

Lagos-224

FCT-105

Edo-85

Ondo-64

Kaduna-32

Imo-27

Osun-19

Plateau-17

Oyo-17

Ogun-17

Rivers-14

Delta-11

Adamawa-10

Enugu-7

Nassarawa-6

Gombe-3

Abia-3

Ekiti-3

31,987 confirmed

13,103 discharged

724 deaths

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

India’s veteran actor, Amitabh Bachchan, contracts COVID-19

Published

on

Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan

Amitabh Bachchan, one of India’s best known movie stars, has tested positive for COVID-19 together with his actor son Abhishek Bachchan, they said late on Saturday.

Both were admitted to the same private hospital

“I have tested COVID positive … shifted to hospital … hospital informing authorities … family and staff undergone tests, results awaited,” Amitabh Bachchan, 77, said in a tweet.

Minutes later, his 44-year-old son Abhishek Bachchan also tweeted he had been infected.

“Both of us having mild symptoms have been admitted to hospital. We have informed all the required authorities and our family and staff are all being tested,” he said.

“I request all to stay calm and not panic.”

The Bollywood actors were admitted to Nanavati Hospital in Mumbai, India’s financial and entertainment hub.

MORE READING!  Ekiti begins recruitment for Amotekun corps

Around India, fans, politicians, fellow actors and businessmen wished the pair a full and speedy recovery.

“I will pray and not eat till you recover and leave hospital,” posted one fan Manoj Pandit on Twitter, where Amitabh Bachchan has over 43 million followers.

WORLD’S THIRD WORST OUTBREAK

Despite a stringent lockdown, the new coronavirus has infected over 820,000 people and killed over 22,000 in India.

MORE READING!  NDLEA files drug trafficking charge against unemployed man

In the previous 24 hours, India recorded 27,114 cases, making it the nation with the third-biggest outbreak behind the United States and Brazil in confirmed infections.

Mumbai has recorded over 84,500 COVID-19 cases, of which 4,899 have died.

A Bollywood legend, Amitabh Bachchan has been helping lead the fight against COVID-19, appearing in public service advertisements.

MORE READING!  Meet Chicago criminal lawyer, Gal Pissetzky, who has vowed to defend, free Hushpuppi (Video)

He joined the film industry in 1969 and has made over 200 movies. The actor suffered a near-fatal injury during the shooting of an action scene on a film set in 1982 and was critically ill for several months.

In recent years, he returned as the celebrity host of “Kaun Banega Crorepati”, India’s version of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?” and one of its most watched shows.

Continue Reading




Trending