Connect with us

General

#SexForGrades: I was a victim of sexual harassment during my university days – Bisi Fayemi

Published

Bisi Fayemi Aso-Oke

Wife of Ekiti State Governor, Erelu Bisi Fayemi, on Monday, said she also faced sexual harassment while she was an undergraduate in a Nigerian university.

Fayemi stated this in her reaction to the viral BBC Africa Eye documentary exposing sexual harassment acts of four lecturers from the University of Lagos (UNILAG) and the University of Ghana.

Two UNILAG lecturers, Dr Boniface Igbeneghu and Dr Samuel Oladipo were caught on camera demanding sex from undercover reporters who posed as female students.

The Ekiti first lady, who bagged her bachelor’s and master’s degrees in history from the University of Ife, now the Obafemi Awolowo University, said:

“I cried because what these young women have experience is the story of many of us who passed through higher institutions in this country.

“I was educated here in Nigeria and I too was a victim of sexual harassment during my university days. I was luckier than these victims. It didn’t go that far but it was extremely unpleasant and of course back in the days when all these things happened you can’t tell anyone because if you do even up till now people ask you to keep shut.

“You know people don’t talk about things like this. I was watching the documentary and there were three words that came to me, one is voice, it is time to speak up and speak out and for those who do we need to stand with them and stand by them and not silence them because the culture of silence has endured enough.

“Another word that came to me was accountability, we need to be accountable whether there are parents, guidance or teachers or leaders in any form throughout the different section of society.

“We have to be accountable for the well being and health of the young people in our care, from when our children come to say, mummy, uncle so and so touched me and instead of asking further to find out what’s its all about, we should act.

READ ALSO: Another UNILAG lecturer, Dr Samuel Oladipo, caught in sex-for-grades scandal

“There has to be accountability and the third thing that came to mind was justice, justice for victim or I choose to call them survivors and so those of us who have worked in the women’s whether at international level or Africa or national air in Nigeria, we know that we have many law and policies in place that are supposed to guard against things such as this but this law sometimes means very little because there is inadequate political,” she said.

Mrs Fayemi said Ekiti had already opened a register to name and shame sex offenders in the state. She also called on other states to do likewise.

MORE READING!  Army lauds Borno govt. over support on counter-insurgency campaign

General

Trump threatens, accuses Twitter of stifling free speech after his tweets were fact-checked

Published

on

President Donald Trump Senate Trump impeachment

U.S. President Donald Trump has accused Twitter of not only ‘stifling free speech’ but also interfering in the November election.

Trump was reacting to Twitter’s fact-check on two tweets he wrote about mail-in-ballots.

It was the first time that the social media platform would flag the U.S. President who commands 80 million followers.

The tweets, said Twitter spokesperson Katie Rosborough, “contain potentially misleading information about voting processes and have been labelled to provide additional context around mail-in ballots.”

But Trump fired back on Tuesday night in two tweets:

“@Twitter is now interfering in the 2020 Presidential Election. They are saying my statement on Mail-In Ballots, which will lead to massive corruption and fraud, is incorrect, based on fact-checking by Fake News CNN and the Amazon Washington Post.

“Twitter is completely stifling FREE SPEECH, and I, as President, will not allow it to happen!”, Trump said.

Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale had responded with the same sentiment: “We always knew that Silicon Valley would pull out all the stops to obstruct and interfere with President Trump getting his message through to voters.

“Partnering with the biased fake news media ‘fact-checkers’ is only a smokescreen Twitter is using to try to lend their obvious political tactics some false credibility.“

Washington Post reported that for its 14-year existence, Twitter has allowed misinformation by world leaders and everyday citizens to spread virtually unchecked.

“Its leaders have long said that users would engage in debate on the platform and correct false information on their own.

“But Trump has made dozens of false claims on social media, particularly on his preferred medium of Twitter, and has also attacked people in ways that critics have argued could violate company policies on harassment and bullying”, the paper said.

Twitter’s actions come on a day when it was facing a barrage of criticism over another set of Trump tweets.

MORE READING!  Afghan girls design ventilator from car parts for Covid-19 patients

Earlier on Tuesday, the widower of a former staffer to Joe Scarborough asked Twitter chief executive officer Jack Dorsey to delete tweets by President Trump furthering a baseless conspiracy theory about the staffer’s wife’s death.

The company is debating whether to take action on the Scarborough tweets, said a person familiar with the discussions.

MORE READING!  Zoho offers guidance on right software for non technology companies
Continue Reading

General

Man allegedly rejected by Isolo General Hospital in Lagos over COVID-19 fears is dead

Published

on

A man allegedly rejected by the Isolo General Hospital in Lagos State over fears of being a COVID-19 patient has reportedly died.

WuzupNigeria reports that the deceased, identified simply as Joel, was refused treatment by the hospital.

Joel was said to have slumped on Sunday while playing football and was rushed to the hospital but he was allegedly refused treatment on the fear that he might be a coronavirus patient.

A family friend of the victim, identified simply as Amaka, who narrated the incident on Twitter, alleged that the nurses on duty claimed that they were busy and refused to attend to Joel.

She tweeted,

“The medical system failed my family friend today and I’ll never get over it.

“He was said to be playing football in the field this morning and slumped and stopped breathing, he was immediately rushed to the Isolo general hospital in other to get attended to fast, getting there, they refused to let him in because they said they don’t know if he has Coronavirus!

“His family members kept begging and begging because time was running and he wasn’t getting any better, he was still not breathing…The nurses still insisted on not attending to him, because according to them, they have their plates full. They had to return him to the car and resulted in prayers.

“In tears, his elder sister still went back in and requested to see any doctor on duty, after so much argument a doctor came out, heard the whole story from the nurses on duty and without taking a look at him in the car or bringing him in to check him out, the doctor then certified him dead and asked them to transfer him to the mortuary. His mother collapsed on the spot…This life is so unfair.

“Bro Joel like I will always call him, you will forever be missed, I have known you to be the calmest and humble person ever since I was a toddler, it was so unfair for you to pass on just like this, but God knows best. Keep sleeping on till we meet again.”

When contacted, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Godwin Akhaboa, who stated that the facility was not in the habit of rejecting patients, said the victim was brought in dead.

MORE READING!  Eid-el-Fitr: AMAC boss calls for prayers to end COVID-19

“There are parameters to look at before certifying a patient dead and no doctor will say a patient is dead without checking those parameters. It’s never done; no nurse or doctor will do that. The patient had a cardiac arrest on a football field and he was brought in dead,” Akhaboa said.

Continue Reading

General

Palliative: Kano Govt denies destroying FG foodstuff

Published

on

The Kano State Government has dismissed as “mischievous” reports insinuating that food items donated to the state under the Federal Government palliative on COVID-19 had been destroyed.

Malam Muhammad Garba, the state’s Commissioner for Commissioner, Information, Youths, and Culture, in a statement on Tuesday in Kano, dismissed the report as “roguish” peddled by disgruntled elements.

The reports alleged that the grains were destroyed due to a lack of storage facilities.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the federal government had supplied over 100 trucks of grains, including millet, maize, rice, and sorghum for distribution to the poor to cushion the effect of the COVID-19 lockdown.

MORE READING!  Masari expresses worries over Katsina’s COVID-19 status

However, speculations alleged that the grains kept in the open at the Kano State Agricultural Supply Company (KASCO), ere damaged by rain in the past few days.

Reacting to the rumor, Garba said that the state government had made proper arrangements to preserve the grain.

He noted that even before the food items were supplied, Kano had recorded its first rainfall, adding that proper arrangements were made to preserve it.

“I, therefore, urge the public to disregard the roguish which is being peddled by some disgruntled elements to discredit the effort of the government at all cost.

“We took into consideration the rainy season which has already set in and adopted measures to protect the grains from being destroyed by the prevailing hot weather occasioned by the scorching sun or rain by keeping them under the waterproof tarpaulin,’’ he said.

Garba explained that the food items were in the custody of the State Fundraising Committee on COVID-19, which was finalizing arrangements to begin distribution to the poor families in the state.

“We completed the first phase of the distribution of palliatives donated by corporate organizations and individuals to the deserving households in the 484 political wards in the 44 local government areas of the state.

“As soon as we are done with the arrangement, the second phase of distribution of food items sent by the federal government will commence,” he added.

The commissioner, however, commended the people of the state for their support and understanding in the prevailing challenges posed by the global pandemic

MORE READING!  Eid-el-Fitr: AMAC boss calls for prayers to end COVID-19
Continue Reading




Trending