Connect with us

Coronavirus

Six-week-old baby dies of COVID-19 in US

Published

A six-week-old baby has died in the US state of Connecticut after being infected with the deadly coronavirus disease.

Governor Ned Lamont made this known on his official Twitter account on Wednesday, stating that a test carried out on Tuesday night confirmed that the baby had COVID-19.

According to him, the baby girl was found unresponsive and taken to the hospital late last week, but could not be revived.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Anambra to fine face masks defaulters N10,000

He wrote

“It is with heartbreaking sadness today that we can confirm the first pediatric fatality in Connecticut linked to COVID19.

”A 6-week-old newborn from the Hartford area was brought unresponsive to a hospital late last week and could not be revived.

”Testing confirmed last night that the newborn was COVID-19 positive.

”This is absolutely heartbreaking. We believe this is one of the youngest lives lost anywhere due to complications relating to COVID-19.

”This is a virus that attacks our most fragile without mercy.

”This also stresses the importance of staying home and limiting exposure to other people. ”Your life and the lives of others could literally depend on it.

”Our prayers are with the family at this difficult time.”

Recall that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Wednesday confirmed 23 new cases of coronavirus in the country.

MORE READING!  British study suggests minorities more likely to die from coronavirus

This brings the total number of confirmed cases in Nigeria to 174 with two deaths recorded and nine patients fully recovered and discharged.

Coronavirus

WHO to resume trial of hydroxychloroquine on COVID-19

Published

on

Covid-19: WHO set to resume hydroxychloroquine trials

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says it will resume its trial of hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of coronavirus (COVID-19) patients.

WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, stated this in official twitter account of the UN health agency.

According to him, the hydroxychloroquine section of the WHO’s Solidarity Trial can resume after being paused temporarily on May 25.

The trial’s Data Safety and Monitoring Committee had halted the study as a precaution in response to safety concerns raised by an observational study published in the Lancet.

Ghebreyesus said the Data Safety Monitoring Board’s review had been completed.

“Last week, the Executive Group of the Solidarity Trial decided to implement a temporary pause of the hydroxychloroquine arm of the trial, because of concerns raised about the safety of the drug.

“This decision was taken as a precaution while the safety data were reviewed; the Data Safety and Monitoring Committee of the Solidarity Trial has been reviewing the data.

“On the basis of the available mortality data, the members of the committee recommended that there are no reasons to modify the trial protocol.

“The Executive Group received this recommendation and endorsed the continuation of all arms of the Solidarity Trial, including hydroxychloroquine.

“The Executive Group will communicate with the principal investigators in the trial about resuming the hydroxychloroquine arm,’’ he said.
The director-general said the Data Safety and Monitoring Committee would continue to closely monitor the safety of all therapeutics being tested in the Solidarity Trial.

“So far, more than 3,500 patients have been recruited in 35 countries.

“WHO is committed to accelerating the development of effective therapeutics, vaccines and diagnostics as part of our commitment to serving the world with science, solutions and solidarity,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, Nigeria, on May 27, declared that it would continue with hydroxychloroquine clinical trials on COVID-19 patients.

MORE READING!  Firm donates N2m medical supplies to Kwara Govt

Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, the Director-General of National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) said the country would continue with the drug, in spite of the initial warning by WHO to discontinue using it.

”I do not know the data that they’re looking at, whether it’s from the Caucasian population or from the African population.

”If the data they’re looking at, and the reason for suspending the trials, is from the Caucasian population, then it may be justified.

“But I don’t think we have data from the African population yet, because our genetic makeup is different.

”If medical doctors, research scientists, pharmacists, herbal experts work together, we should conclude the clinical trial in three-four months.
“The narrative might change afterward but for now, we believe in hydroxychloroquine,” she said.

(NAN)

MORE READING!  Wike issues new directive on schools, churches, warns banks, others
Continue Reading

Nigeria Update

Ebonyi govt shut offices after cabinet members test positive for Coronavirus

Published

on

David Umahi

The Governor of Ebonyi state has ordered the immediate closure of all government officers after cabinet members tested positive for coronavirus.

Ebonyi Governor David Umahi has given instruction that all government offices in the state be closed with immediate effect for decontamination to begin.

This became necessary after some Executive Council members tested positive for coronavirus.

Umahi gave the directive in a statement by the Commissioner for Information and State Orientation, Orji Uchenna Orji.

MORE READING!  100-year-old woman recovers from Coronavirus in Indonesia

He expressed concerns over the increasing cases of coronavirus in the state, which stands at 75 out of the over 3,000 sample tests conducted.

Although he did not give the names of the cabinet members who tested positive to the virus, the Governor described the situation as disturbing.

He noted the positive cabinet members are receiving treatment and all in stable conditions.

MORE READING!  WHO to resume trial of hydroxychloroquine on COVID-19

The government offices, he directed, will be shut from Thursday, June 4- Wednesday, June 10 to allow for decontamination.

“All civil servants shall work from their respective homes within this period but shall leave their phones open to respond to official imperatives.

“All Exco members and Government officials, especially of the Ministries of Finance and Budget, are advised to undergo COVID-19 test within this seven days period.

“The Governor further advises that during this period of close down of Government offices, all workers, especially from the two Ministries aforementioned, should go into self-isolation.

“All site operations shall, however, remain open, but must be in strict observance of COVID-19 protocol.”

Continue Reading

General

COVID-19: Lagos Catholic Archdiocese opposes continued closure of churches

Published

on

The Catholic Archbishop of Lagos, Most Rev Alfred Adewale Martins, on Wednesday, opposed the continued closure of worship centres by the state government.

The Archbishop in a statement by the archdiocese’s Director of Social Communications, Rev. Fr Anthony Godonu, called on the Lagos State Government to ease the restriction on religious gatherings in the state.

Martins was reacting to a statement by the state government through its Commissioner for Home Affairs, Mr Anofiu Elegushi, who on Tuesday said the ban on religious gatherings had not been lifted.

He wondered why it was concluded that the virus could spread at places of worship when people gathered in markets, motor parks and banks.

Martins stated,

“There is no doubt that the COVID-19 pandemic is real, and we all feel concerned that the numbers are rising. However, we know also that the virus will be with us for some time and more testing will reveal more infected persons but at the same time the truth is that life must go on. We believe strongly that churches as institutions are better able to exert control of situations and maintain discipline among their faithful than most other institutions.”

“The argument that we can pray in our individual houses and God will hear our prayers is true but it is also true for us as Christians that gathering together to worship is our heritage and practice arising from the Holy Bible. It was in the gathering of the Apostles that the Holy Spirit came down upon them(Acts.2:1); the early Christians gathered together in private homes for prayers and the breaking of the Bread(Acts 2:46) until the number became too large to handle in private homes and it became necessary to have Church buildings.

“If Christians were willing to suspend their right to gather in Church buildings for the sake of common good at a time when all gatherings of people were suspended, it is unfair and unjust for government to restrict gatherings for worship when other gatherings are being allowed. Anyone who argues that gathering to worship is not essential as it is to eat and get money from the bank, obviously does not understand the spiritual, emotional, and psychological soothing that Christians get from gathering together to worship.

“In any case, are we saying that it is more dangerous for people to gather to worship than it is to gather for banking and trading or that it is gathering for worship that is responsible for the spread of the virus?”

He said the archdiocese considered as fair, the position of Lagos State Government that it would approve a set of guidelines and monitor adherence to them.

MORE READING!  100-year-old woman recovers from Coronavirus in Indonesia

Martins stated,

“The monitoring is even more easily done in churches than in markets and motor parks or other places where the virus can even be more easily spread. This “volte-face” of government gives the impression that the position of Christians is considered secondary and of no consequence in the affairs of the state.”

Continue Reading




Trending