Connect with us

Metro

Soldier shoots father of two dead in Delta

Published

An unidentified soldier allegedly shot dead a father of two, one Joseph Pessu, in Delta state.

The incident happened around 9:40am on Thursday while the victim was riding his power bike along the Ugbuwangue axis of the NPA Expressway, Warri.

It was gathered that the deceased was flagged down by a team of the security operatives, who gave a hot chase when he refused to stop for proper identification.

Vexed by his action, one of the officers was said to have aimed and shot him dead.

MORE READING!  Army colonel crushed to death by drunk friend in Benue

The victim, who wore wearing a white shirt and red trousers, was reportedly taken to the Police Area Command, Warri as sympathizers flocked the scene.

“An army officer just shot one man in Ugbuwangue. He was riding a power bike and they tried to stop him, but he refused. One of the soldiers shot him. He died instantly,” a source said

Recall that the Delta State Government had declared a lockdown across the state for 14 days, which started on Wednesday.

MORE READING!  Delta will complete Trans-Warri road, bridge projects in 2021 -Commissioner

However, only those on essential duties are exempted from the directive, as stated by Governor Ifeanyi Okowa, who warned that security operatives will be deployed across the state to enforce the directive.

Meanwhile, youths of the area were said to have taken to the streets and the expressway in protest of the death.

But the chairman of Warri South council area, Dr. Michael Tidi, alongside a political leader in the locality, Chief Vincent Okudolor, who visited the area, called for calm.

MORE READING!  Bandits kill District Head in Katsina

State Commissioner of Police, Hafiz Inuwa, confirmed the development, adding that the timely intervention of the Warri Area Commander, doused the brewing tension in the area.

“If not for the Area Commander Warri, some people would have protested. He quickly moved in and doused the brewing tension,” Inuwa said.

Efforts to get the sector 1 Commander, Operation Delta Safe (OPDS), Colonel Many Garba, to comment on the issue, were unsuccessful as at the time of filing this report.

Metro

Full autopsy report reveals George Floyd tested positive for Coronavirus

Published

on

George Floyd

A 20-page autopsy report released by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office has revealed that George Floyd who died after some Minneapolis police officers knelt on his neck, tested positive for Coronavirus in April.

The autopsy report came with the family’s permission and it was released after the coroner’s office released summary findings which affirmed that Floyd had a heart attack while being restrained by officers. George Floyd’s death has now been classified as a homicide.

MORE READING!  IGP deploys forensic support for investigation on Uwaila Omozuwa's rape, murder

TMZ reported that the Coroner said;

“Positivity for 2019-nCoV can persist for weeks after the onset and resolution of clinical disease, the autopsy result most likely reflects asymptomatic but persistent PCR positivity from the previous infection.”

This meant the deceased was likely walking around without issues or active symptoms, but the virus was still in his body. The final report from Hennepin on Wednesday says Floyd had “no injuries of anterior muscles of neck or laryngeal structures.”

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison on Wednesday, June 3, upgraded charges against Chauvin to 2nd-degree murder and also charged the three other officers on the scene with aiding and abetting.

MORE READING!  Guard stabs 37 primary school students, two adults

Floyd family attorney, Ben Crump had earlier decried the official autopsy as described in the original complaint against Chauvin, for ruling out asphyxia.

An autopsy commissioned by the Floyd family concluded that he died of asphyxiation due to neck and back compression.

Continue Reading

Metro

Task Force recovers four stolen goats, food items from suspected thieves in Ikorodu

Published

on

The Lagos State Task Force on Environment and Special Offences Unit has recovered four stolen goats from suspected robbers.

WuzupNigeria gathered that the suspects, who were carrying the goats to an unknown destination inside a vehicle, had followed a BRT corridor in the Ikorodu area of Lagos, prompting the Task Force to intercept them.

However, on sighting the officials the driver and his accomplice left their car, a Blue Toyota Camry marked AAA 743 EZ, and fled from the scene.

MORE READING!  Man caught defiling two girls aged five and six (Video)

According to the leader of the Enforcement Team, DSP Anthony Abutu, the action of the two men raised suspicion among the team which led to a thorough search of the vehicle and four goats and food items were recovered from the boot of the car.

Abutu added that the goats’ mouths were sealed.

MORE READING!  Army colonel crushed to death by drunk friend in Benue

This, according to him, indicates that the goats and other items in the car were stolen.

Also, the Task Force Chairman, CSP Yinka Egbeyemi, said that the fact that the driver and his accomplice fled showed that the goats were stolen.

The task force, therefore, called on members of the public, particularly those residing around Ikorodu axis, whose goats are missing or suspected stolen, to report at the task force office at Bolade, Oshodi, for collection of the recovered goats.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Gunmen abduct two Chinese expatriates in Ebonyi

In another development, the state government has distributed new kits to all police officers attached to the agency, in a bid to boost their morale. The new kits include uniforms (camouflage and black), berets, shoulder badges and crests.

Continue Reading

Metro

JUST IN: Gunmen abduct two Chinese expatriates in Ebonyi

Published

on

Nasarawa CAN: Kidnappers demand N20m to free chairman

Two Chinese expatriates working at a mining site in Ebonyi State have been abducted by unknown gunmen.

The abducted Chinese nationals are employees at Greenfield Metals Nigeria Limited, which specialises in lead and zinc mining.

The incident, it was gathered, happened at Ihietutu, Ishiagu in Ivo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State on Wednesday at a mining pit close to the company’s offices.

Chairman of the company, Henry Ahanaotu said that the gunmen first shot sporadically into the air to scare away workers before proceeding to whisk away the expatriates.

According to him, the incident happened at the company’s mining pit at Ajirija mining site, 300 meters from the company’s Life Camp.

MORE READING!  Court sentences man to death for allegedly defiling two-year-old child

Ahanaotu, who doubles as the Managing Director of the company said a formal report on the incident had been lodged with the police command in the state.

He said the company has not made contact with the kidnappers.

“The unidentified persons bearing sophisticated arms stormed our mining pit at Ajirija and shot severally before whisking their victims away.

“We are yet to establish the identity of the abductors or where they came from,” he said.

Police spokesman, Loveth Odah confirmed the incident.

Odah said the victims were abducted on Wednesday at the mining site adding that the Police has commenced an investigation into the incident.

We got the information yesterday.

“A detachment of our tactical team was dispatched to the area with a view to unraveling the true situation and also to rescue the victims.

“The team is yet to return to furnish us with relevant information about the incident.

“But I can confirm to you that we received a distress call from the area yesterday informing the police of alleged abduction of two Chinese working in a mining site at Ihietutu in Ishiagu community.

“We are waiting for information from our men before we can make informed comments on the motive behind the alleged abduction.

“For now, we cannot say if the abduction was for ransom purposes or not because the abductors are yet to establish contacts with the company,” she said.

Odah, however, urged non-Nigerian nationals working in any part of the state to ensure they move about with armed security guards to prevent attacks and molestations from criminals and possible kidnapping or abduction.

MORE READING!  Army colonel crushed to death by drunk friend in Benue

This is the second kidnapping invoking the company this year.

In March, two Chinese expatriate staff were also abducted at the company’s Life Camp at Ugwuajirija.

They were later freed after the company allegedly paid an undisclosed amount of money as ransom.

Continue Reading




Trending