Connect with us

Soldiers begin gradual withdrawal from Aba

Army

News

Soldiers begin gradual withdrawal from Aba

The Nigerian Army has commenced gradual withdrawal of its men stationed at various checkpoints in Aba after the recent clash with protesting members of the Indigenous People of Biafra.

Gov. Okezie Ikpeazu told newsmen in Umuahia that the military on Operation Python Dance II had withdrawn from the state.

However, NAN investigation on Monday showed that only a few of the new military checkpoints mounted in the commercial city had been dismantled.

MORE READING!  Trump to restrict immigration from six new countries

The five military checkpoints mounted on the busy Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway had been reduced to three.

Emeka Chukwuma, a tricycle operator and resident of the city, told NAN that the checkpoints were causing traffic gridlock.

He appealed to Gov. Ikpeazu to prevail on the military authority to remove the checkpoints to ease traffic.

MORE READING!  Ogbomoso Council Crisis: One shot dead

Meanwhile, activities are gradually returning to normal in Aba after the clashes between the military and IPOB members.

Markets have re-opened after the five-day dusk to dawn curfew imposed on the city by the governor.

Most of the shops at Ariaria International Market, New Market, Shopping Centre, Cemetery Markets have re-opened for business while customers were seen going about their businesses.

MORE READING!  Oliseh surprised Ndidi is still at 'average club' Leicester City

(NAN)

Click to comment

More in News

Most Read

Just In

To Top