Connect with us

General

Solskjaer says he is the right man to lead Manchester United

Published

Manchester United Solskjaer

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has insisted he is the right man to lead Manchester United’s revival despite a worrying dip in form that has threatened their top four hopes.

United host Manchester City at Old Trafford on Wednesday on the back of six defeats in eight games including a humiliating 4-0 defeat to Everton at Goodison Park.

“I would like to say I am but it’s not down to me to say that,” Solskjaer told a news conference on Tuesday.

“I’m confident in my team and myself to take this challenge on. It’s a big challenge and when I came in here I said I’m going to enjoy every single second. I don’t like losing but it’s a challenge when you go through bad results.”

Paul Pogba has branded Manchester United’s performance at Everton as “disrespectful” to all involved on Sunday.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side crashed to a 4-0 defeat at Goodison Park and the Frenchman did not hold back in his assessment of his, and the team’s, display.

“Losing a game is something really bad that we don’t want to [do] when we are in the race for the top four and losing 4-0 as well.

“Not to be disrespectful and I am not disrespectful on Everton, but the way we played and the performance of myself, of the team, of everyone is disrespectful. We didn’t respect ourselves, the club or the fans.

“I don’t want to be harsh with my words but we don’t want to look like we did because the body language was not good enough for this shirt.”

Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville said afterwards the performance of some players at Everton had been “embarrassing” while Solskjaer questioned whether they cared enough to represent the club.

MORE READING!  Lagos to replace Okada, tricycle from July

Pogba revealed part of what the Norwegian had to say to the squad after the final whistle with the 26-year-old admitting the players were “angry with themselves.”

“We let the manager speak, the staff speaks and they spoke the truth,” he said.

“They said what happened in the game and it is not respectful for ourselves.

“What we did on the pitch is not respectful for the teammates, for the staff, for the people, for the kitman, for everyone.

MORE READING!  G7 summit: Merkel rejects Trump’s invitation in Washington

“For their work, they put their life on us, the team and this club. What we showed on the pitch, we did not give them the joy back and that’s why we are angry with ourselves.

“We want to do better for sure and we have to. The reaction has to be there.”

United have the chance to put things right on Wednesday when title-chasing Manchester City visit Old Trafford.

Solskjaer and a selection of players apologized to the travelling fans at Goodison Park and Pogba insisted he would say sorry with a full-blooded performance in the derby.

“The only way to apologize to them is to give everything on the pitch, do our best, create chances, score goals, defend, work for the team and we can even lose games, but with a good performance and pride on the pitch,” said Pogba.

“That’s how we should apologize to the fans, just to give everything for us, for the club, for the shirt, for the teammates and for ourselves as well because it is us on the pitch and we cannot perform like we did.”

MORE READING!  Resident doctors threaten strike, issue 14-day ultimatum

New York Red Bulls manager sporting director Denis Hamlett said rumors that Thierry Henry would take over as club manager are “false.”

In a brief statement released on Monday, Hamlett said: “Recent reports of Thierry Henry joining the New York Red Bulls are false.”

Unconfirmed reports over the last week have hinted that Henry, 41, would take over the reins at his former MLS club.

Red Bulls, under manager Chris Armas, have endured a difficult start to the season. After finishing top of the Eastern Conference last season, the club sits at 11th in the standings and have lost four for their first seven games.

After serving as assistant manager for Belgium at the 2018 World Cup, Henry had a disastrous three-month tenure at former club Monaco, winning four out of 20 games while in charge.

The ex-Arsenal and Barcelona striker played for NYRB from 2010-2014, scoring 51 goals in 122 MLS appearances.

ESPN

General

Bayelsa confirms first COVID-19 death

Published

on

The Bayelsa State Government has confirmed the death of a Coronavirus patient from complications linked to the disease.

The Director of Public Health in the state’s ministry of health and member of the state’s COVID-19 task force committee, Dr Jones Stowe who confirmed the death of the patient said the deceased is one of the two military personnel who was among the new cases announced in the state a few days ago.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: NDDC headquarters shuts down over COVID-19 scare

Daily Trust reported that the deceased died after suffering from Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and other related complications days after testing positive for Coronavirus.

Bayelsa state has so far recorded 12 confirmed cases of Coronavirus.

Continue Reading

General

COVID-19: Monarch seeks lockdown extension

Published

on

Imo: Okada rider crushed while answering phone call

The Chairman of the Imo State Council of Traditional Rulers told the Federal Government on Sunday to extend the current lockdown as the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Nigeria nears the 10,000 mark.

Eze Samuel Ohiri made the appeal in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja, saying the lockdown extension was necessary to avert the rapid spread of the deadly virus in rural communities.

Nigeria has currently recorded 9,855 confirmed cases of the virus, 553 of which were recorded in the past 24 hours.

Two hundred and seventy-five deaths have also been recorded with 2,856 people discharged after recovering from the disease, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

MORE READING!  Transfer: Real Madrid offer Man Utd four players to seal Pogba deal

On March 4, President Muhammadu Buhari announced a nationwide lockdown to check the spread of the virus and extended the lockdown on May 4.

Ohiri, who is also the Chief Executive Officer of Hi-Tech Diagnostics Ltd., noted that the lockdown had isolated the deadly virus to only metropolitan areas.

“Any plan to relax the lockdown at this time is not advisable because it will trigger community transmission from the metropolitan areas to rural areas.

“Nigeria at the moment has lost over 200 lives to COVID-19 and we cannot afford to lose more. So let government not relax the lockdown for now.”

The monarch also lauded the Federal Government’s efforts so far in containing the virus, urging State Governments to sustain the restriction on inter-state movements.

MORE READING!  Resident doctors threaten strike, issue 14-day ultimatum

According to him, as soon the lockdown is lifted, inter-state movements will commence and community transmission will set in.

“A country like Ghana recorded unprecedented 60 per cent increase in COVID-19 infections after relaxing their lockdown.

“This disease is very deadly that even the survivors still suffer damage of one organ or the order, especially the lungs.”

The royal father, however, described speculations of conspiracy theory on COVID-19 as unfounded rumours, saying that proper education was required to prepare people against the virus.

MORE READING!  IGP orders redeployment of 11 police commissioners

He emphasised the imperative of collective responsibility in the fight against the virus, saying that total adherence to safety measures was key to reducing spread.

Ohiri disclosed that his firm had manufactured testing kits for COVID-19 and that the kits were capable of showing results in five minutes.

NAN

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Doctors threaten strike as Nigeria records 553 new cases of COVID-19

Published

on

Doctor tests positive for Covid-19 in Bayelsa

The fight against the spread of the Coronavirus pandemic in the country is facing a fresh challenge, following a threat by the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) to call out its members on an indefinite strike.

Doctors accused the government of failure to resolve issues revolving around their welfare and safety and want the matter resolved within 14 days.

With confirmed cases of COVID-19 rising to 9,855 nationwide on Saturday, a strike by the resident doctors at this time is capable of throwing spanner in the works with regard to fighting the pandemic.

The federal government, according to the NARD is paying lip service to the welfare of health workers, especially when it concerns the review of hazard allowances and life insurance, which it says is active only on the pages of newspapers.

The association is also demanding the reinstatement of its 26 members who were ‘illegally’ sacked in Jos.

It said some state governments had chosen this critical and wrong time in the country to slash the salaries of health workers.

Speaking with The Nation, the President of the NARD, Dr Aliyu Sokomba, said:

“The illegal disengagement of 26 resident doctors at Jos University Teaching Hospital in the face of this pandemic without recourse to the law governing the residency training is one of the paramount issues that we believe should not only be addressed but also an apology issued to those affected.

“Our stand is that if there is anyone that is due to be disengaged, even if it is by tomorrow, the person should be disengaged. But we cannot tolerate illegal disengagement of people without recourse to the Residency Training Programme.

“We demand immediate recall of the sacked resident doctors at Jos and payments of their salaries.

“Secondly, the residency training itself has not been implemented for some time now, even though there is already an Act enacted that was timed as far back as 2017. The part of the act states that there shall be funding for the programme and people who are not able to finish their programme in good time will be disengaged.

“The government has decided to implement part of the Act that says you should disengage them when they don’t finish their programme but has failed to implement the part that says you should fund their programme.

“This is without prejudice to what is happening in Jos because what is happening in Jos is that the Act was totally abandoned and they illegally disengaged them.

“We demand universal implementation of the Residency Training Act in both Federal and State teaching hospital. We also enjoin the Federal Government through the National Assembly to ensure full capture of the residency training funding in the 2021 Appropriation Bill.

“What is worse is that all of this is happening when we thought that measures will be rolled out to address the COVID-19 and at least, if not improve the condition of doctors, then, the status Quo should be maintained. On the other hand, what we get is further assault.”

The Federal Government, he said, had agreed to review the hazard allowance of healthcare workers.

“Three months down the lane, nothing has been done,” he said.

Continuing, he said: “Our hazard allowance even as at May is still reflecting the N5,000 hazard allowance they claimed they have reviewed.

“We think there is no sincerity in the way and manner government is handling this matter.

“The life insurance they claimed they have also procured for doctors and other health care workers is only on the pages of newspaper.

“We demand immediate implementation of the revised hazard allowance and payment of COVID -19 inducement allowance.

“As I speak to you, I have just been informed of the death of one of our colleagues, Dr. Nas, who incidentally was my classmate in medical school.

“So, the point is that as people keep dying, what do we tell their families and relations? Is it that we are just watching them die, while government is doing nothing and we are not saying anything?

“What is worse is that in some states, the government has decided again to further add insult to injury. They waited until COVID-19 time to slash doctors and other health care workers’ salaries further.

“Like what was recently executed by the Kaduna State Government that cut the salaries of health workers by twenty-five (25) per cent.

“We demand payment of arrears of the consequential adjustment of the new minimum wage to our members and its application to state tertiary health institutions.

“NARD condemns the illegal deductions in salaries of our members by some state governments and demands immediate refund.

“We note with concern the incessant harassment of her members by security agents and assault on our members while on duty, particularly in Lagos, Delta, and Abuja. We call on security agencies to stop the harassment and assaults of doctors while carrying out their legitimate activities.

“The association is hereby issuing a 14-day ultimatum to government after which the Association shall proceed on a National Total and Indefinite Strike action should our demands remain unmet at the end of the 14 days.”

Ogun doctors kick over delay in salary payment, unfair treatment

MORE READING!  Lagos to replace Okada, tricycle from July

The Association of Resident Doctors of Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital (OOUTH), Sagamu, Ogun State, separately kicked over what it called delay in the payment of members’ salaries, hazard allowances and government poor handling of their plight.

The association denied signing any MOU with the state government over their plights.

MORE READING!  Monkeys attack lab assistant, escape with COVID-19 samples

The association’s President, Dr Popoola Abiodun, and General Secretary, Dr Osundara Adewale, wondered in a statement how government “expects us to be valiant in the face of COVID -19 when we have been having perpetual delays in the payment of salaries coupled with unresolved issues before them?”

In the statement entitled Ogun Resident Doctors Protest Continued Unfair Treatment, the ARD said: “Perpetually we have also been having our salaries delayed for no good reason. We had our salaries in April paid at the middle of May when other workers in the state were paid in April.

“Other workers in the state have been paid their May salaries as of 21st of May, 2020 but here we are still expecting the miracle.

“This kind of ill treatment does not speak well of a government that proclaims to care for all.

“Our wait is now one week gone but up till now, the government has been evasive.

“As it stands, some people are even misleading the governor by telling him we signed an MOU. Nothing can be further from the truth.”

Continue Reading




Trending