Connect with us

Coronavirus

Taiwan warns annual tomb-sweeping ritual could hasten spread of coronavirus

Published

Taiwan warns annual tomb-sweeping ritual could hasten spread of coronavirus

The Taiwanese government on Tuesday urged people to maintain safe social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic amid worries that the approaching Tomb Sweeping Festival could speed up new infections.

Starting on Thursday, it is expected that millions of people around the island will return home to conduct tomb-sweeping rituals, which are a common way of honouring ancestors.

Since March, the government has suggested that people either downsize such gatherings at the graveyard or conduct rituals online.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: India records 182,143 cases, 5,164 deaths

Seeing a steady rise in confirmed cases of COVID-19, Taiwan’s Central Epidemic Command Center urged people stay at least 1.5 metres away from each other indoors and one metre away outdoors, in an escalation of the government’s earlier social distancing guidance.

“If you’re unable to follow the principles under certain circumstance, please do wear a mask,” Health and Welfare Minister Chen Shih-Chung told a news conference on Tuesday.

Chen said people on public transportation should wear a face mask.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Bello orders two weeks total lockdown in Kabba/Bunu LGA

READ ALSO: S’ Korea to start school year with online classes amid coronavirus

Last week, the centre said that indoor gatherings of 100 people and outdoor gatherings of 500 people or more should be cancelled.

To further lower the risk of possible coronavirus infection, the centre said it had considered gradually lowering the limit numbers of participants at mass gatherings.

MORE READING!  States to battle COVID-19 - Federal Government

As of Tuesday, Taiwan has recorded 322 total cases of COVID-19, including five deaths.

Thirty-nine patients have recovered.

The 16 new patients reported on Tuesday include 14 Taiwanese nationals returning from abroad. Meanwhile, for one of the two new local transmission cases, the origin of the coronavirus remains unknown.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

 

General

Lockdown: Abubakar Rimi Market, Kano. loses over N15m revenue

Published

on

The management of the Abubakar Rimi Market, Kano, says it has lost over N15 million in revenue since the lockdown of the state aimed at curbing COVID-19 spread.

Mr. Muhammad Bashir, the market’s Director of Administration and General Services, gave the figure while addressing newsmen on Wednesday in Kano.

“As a result of this loss, we cannot even pay our staff salaries; we pay our staff from the revenue we generate.

“Every month, we generate over N12 million out of which we normally spend over N8 million as workers’ salaries,” he said.

Bashir said that huge business activities in the market were making social distancing difficult.

MORE READING!  Medical doctor jokes about rape, says women should 'wear agbada or caftan' [See WhatsApp Chat]

The director said that the management of the market had, however, received over 20,000 face masks from the Kano State Government for distribution to traders and customers to reduce COVID-19 spread.

Bashir appealed to the state government to assist the management with funds to enable it to pay workers’ salaries.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Africa’s cases hit 150,000- WHO

The director said that payment of workers’ salaries would reduce hardship induced by the 45-day-old lockdown.

He hailed the state government’s efforts in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Covid-19: WHO set to resume hydroxychloroquine trials

Published

on

Covid-19: WHO set to resume hydroxychloroquine trials

The World Health Organization says it will resume its trial of hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug backed by President Donald Trump to combat the deadly coronavirus, according to CNBC reports.

The Data Safety Monitoring Board decided there was no reason to discontinue the international trial after reviewing available data on the drug, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press conference Wednesday at the agency’s Geneva headquarters.

“The executive group received this recommendation and endorsed the continuation of all arms of solidarity trial including hydroxychloroquine,” he said.

On May 25, WHO announced it had temporarily suspended its trial of the drug over safety concerns. The announcement came days after a study published in the medical journal The Lancet, which is now being reexamined, found that hospitalized Covid-19 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine had a higher risk of death than those who didn’t take it.

MORE READING!  21 Covid-19 patients discharged from Oyo isolation centre

The move by the agency spurred French drugmaker Sanofi and others to temporarily suspend recruitment their own trials looking at the drug.

Tedros said Wednesday that the safety board will continue to closely monitor the safety of all therapeutics being tested in its trials, which include more than 3,500 patients across 35 countries.

“WHO is committed to accelerating the development of effective therapeutics, vaccines and diagnostics as part of our commitment to serving the world with science, solutions and solidarity,” he said.

 

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Bello orders two weeks total lockdown in Kabba/Bunu LGA
Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Nigeria records 348 coronavirus cases, total now 11,166

Published

on

Nigeria has recorded new Coronavirus cases with the NCDC announcing 348 new cases of Coronavirus in Nigeria.

Newsone Nigeria reports that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed 348 new Coronavirus cases in a tweet on the micro-blogging site, Twitter on Wednesday evening, June 2.

This burgeoning online news platform understands that the NCDC noted that of the 348 COVID-19 cases recorded on Wednesday evening, 163 were detected in Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial city, FCT-76 Ebonyi-23 Rivers-21 Delta-8 Nasarawa-8 Niger-8 Enugu-6 Bauchi-5 Edo-5 Ekiti-5 Ondo-5 Gombe-5 Benue-4 Ogun-2 Osun-1 Plateau-1 Kogi-1 Anambra-1, southeast Nigeria.

MORE READING!  Justice, fair play to workers remain our priority – Oyo TUC

To be continued……

Continue Reading




Trending