Connect with us

General

TB Joshua to visit South Sudan on President’s invite to pray for his country

Published

South Sudan President, Salva Kiir Mayardit, has resolved to invite Prophet TB Joshua into the country to hold prayers with his people.

This is coming after months of the president advocating for peace, unity and development in his country.

Disclosing this yesterday, Presidential spokesman, Ateny Wek Ateny, said that TB Joshua is expected to visit South Sudan on Tuesday to hold prayers at the presidential palace.

MORE READING!  Ekiti set to reopen schools July 20

His words read:

“Yes, he is coming tomorrow to hold prayers for peace. He is coming to pray for the leaders at J1,” Ateny said.

Temitope Balogun Joshua also known as T. B. Joshua is a Nigerian pastor, televangelist, and philanthropist.

He founded The Synagogue: Church of All Nations and owns the Christian television network Emmanuel TV.

MORE READING!  Interstate travel: FRSC monitors Lagos-Ibadan Expressway to prevent gridlock, crashes

TB Joshua gained prominence in South Sudan for his alleged prophecy of a failed coup attempt against President Salva Kiir before the conflict that erupted in 2013.

However, Kiir sent a high-level delegation headed by Vice President Wani Igga to Nigeria to deliver an invitation to the prophet offering him an advisory role in the government.

MORE READING!  Xavi 'agrees £5.4m-a-year deal' to replace Quique Setien as new manager of the club

 

General

Most former militants trained as divers jobless – expert

Published

on

Mr. Julius Ugwuala, Diving Inspector-elect, on Saturday said that most of the former militants trained as divers under the Federal Government Amnesty Programme had been jobless.

Ugwuala made the claim on an Instagram live program organized by Mrs. Ezinne Azunnah of the MaritimeTv.

The program had the theme, ”Code of Practice for Driving Operations in Nigeria”.

According to him, the situation is a security risk that needs to be addressed so that the ex-militants do not go back to their bad ways due to idleness.

“The Federal Government under the Amnesty initiative trained former militants, and some of them chose diving as a profession; they are back in the country and are qualified to work.

“Unfortunately, since they returned, they have not had the opportunity to work with the oil and gas sector.

“The security risk with them being jobless is that the training they had in diving will further enhance their former business if they decide to go back to it; so,” he said.

He suggested that the code of practice for diving should be implemented through the inauguration of a diving advisory board.

MORE READING!  Ekiti set to reopen schools July 20

He said that the absence of the code of practice had set the ex-militants back.

He urged the proper regulation of diving in Nigeria.

“Divers are not insured because we do not have the regulation that is working; this is part of the issues that the code of practice will address.

“For us to have an effective code of practice, we are looking at the most stringent one, to meet expectations or exceed international standards,” he said.

He suggested that to reduce accidents, no diving contractor should mobilize to the site without clearance from the advisory board, adding that inspectors should be deployed to check equipment to ascertain their suitability for operations.

MORE READING!  Twin babies mauled to death by family's jealous dog

The advisory board will enforce the regulation, code of practice, and develop a policy for diving to thrive,” he said.

Continue Reading

General

Panic as fire guts vehicle at Onitsha Army Baracks gate

Published

on

There was panic on Saturday afternoon at the Onitsha Army Barracks as a Volkswagen Golf car reportedly went up in flames at the gate of the barracks.

An eyewitness said the panic was mostly from traders who sell wares by the roadside close to the gate of the barracks as it was thought to be an attack on the military.

The eyewitness, who identified himself as Mr. Innocent said, “I was inside a vehicle in front of the golf car, while going to Onitsha, and suddenly, the driver just drove close to the area and jumped out, while fire engulfed the car.

“Everyone was confused and started running, but later the fire was put off by some people in the area,” he said.

Meanwhile, the state command of the Federal Road Safety Corps, through its PRO, Mr Pascal Anigbo confirmed the incident but attributed it to an electrical fault in the vehicle.

“Today, Saturday, July 4, 2020, a blue coloured Volkswagen Golf with registration number FU935LND reportedly went up in flames, near Army Gate Onitsha, along Onitsha-Awka expressway.

“The fire, which was reported to have been caused by some mechanical faults in the vehicle, was arrested by operatives of Anambra State Fire Service. No injury and no death recorded. The driver who was the only victim is yet to be identified.

“FRSC personnel from Upper-Iweka Outpost have cordoned off the area and diverted traffic to ensure free flow and other traffic management,” he said.

Anigbo said the Sector Commander Federal Road Safety Corps Anambra State, Andrew Kumapayi has admonished drivers and vehicle owners to always check and service their vehicles regularly and ensure they are in good working condition before embarking on any trip.

MORE READING!  Alleged N32.9bn fraud: EFCC to close case against Mompha
Continue Reading

General

COVID-19: South Africa reopens restaurants as cases rise

Published

on

“I am breathing again,” sighs Kanto Razafimandimby, on her first night out since South Africa reopened its restaurants and casinos as part of a gradual loosening of lockdown, even as the number of coronaviruses continues to rise.

“It really feels like my freedom is back,” said the 27-year-old dining with three friends at Verdicchio Restaurant and Wine Cellar in northern Johannesburg suburb of Fourways.

Saturday marked the 100th day of lockdown for South Africa, which has imposed some of the strictest stay-at-home measures in the world since March 27 in a bid to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Nevertheless, the number of infections is rising daily by the thousands and the country now has the highest number of cases on the continent — 177,124, including 2,952 deaths.

MORE READING!  Farmers lament as herdsmen take over farmlands in Enugu
Continue Reading




Trending