Connect with us

Crime

Teenager remanded for allegedly masterminding rape of 16-year-old girl

Published

Deliveryman at large after he allegedly raped 18-year old salesgirl he met at a store

At Kirikiri Custodial Centre, 19-year-old, Babatunde Sulaimon, has been remanded for masterminding the gang defilement of a 16-year-old girl.

On Tuesday, newsmen reported that, Sulaimon appeared before an Ikorodu Chief Magistrates’ Court on a two-count charge of conspiracy and defilement.

The defendant, whose plea was not taken by the court, lives in  Ogunde Street, Agric Ikorodu, Lagos.

The Chief Magistrate, Mrs F. A. Azeez, ordered that the defendant be remanded in the custodial centre, while awaiting advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

The Prosecutor, Insp. John Iberedim, had earlier told the court that the defendant, had on Nov. 30 at Ajose Area of Owutu, Ikorodu, conspired with five others at large to gang defile the 16-year-old girl.

MORE READING!  How I killed my girlfriend over s3x, dumped her corpse inside well, 26-year-old carpenter confesses

He said that the girl, who was a sales girl, was returning home from work at 11:00 p.m. when she was accosted by the defendant and the five others.

“They carried her into an uncompleted building and gang defiled her.

“The girl was able to recognise and identify the ring leader as the man who had been disturbing her for a chance to talk to her.

“The defendant and his accomplices fled the area after news of their atrocities became public, but the defendant was later apprehended, while the Police are still on the lookout for others.

The offences contravene Sections 137 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.

MORE READING!  Police arrest man for defiling daughter, salesman over rape of employers' 12-year-old twin girls

The chief magistrate adjourned the case until March 5, 2020 for the DPP’s advice.

In another case, an 18-year-old man, Sunday Okorie, was also remanded in Kirikiri Custodial Centre for defilement of an eight-year-old girl by the same court.

The Prosecutor, Insp. John Iberedim, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on Nov. 29 at 3:00 p.m. at No. 17, Koboko St., Majidun Ogolonto, Ikorodu, Lagos

“Okorie, whose parents and the girl’s parents are neighbours, defiled the girl in his parent’s room when nobody was around.

“The morning after the incident occurred, the girl’s mother noticed that her daughter’s pant was wet with watery bloody discharge and she started questioning the girl.

“The eight-year-old opened up to her mother that when she went to play in the neighbour’s, house, the defendant had sexual intercourse with her without her consent.

The prosecutor said that the offence contravened Section 137 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.

MORE READING!  Rivers: Woman, 40, remanded for allegedly killing husband

The chief magistrate ordered that the defendant be remanded in Kirikiri Custodial Centre.

She adjourned the case until Feb. 27, 2020 for the DPP’s advice.

Crime

Hushpuppi officially charged for fraud, faces up to 20 years in US prison – US Federal prosecutors

Published

on

Ramon Olorunwa Abbas, popularly known as Ray Hushpuppi now faces a statutory maximum sentence of up to 20 years in a US federal prison after being extradited from Dubai to the United States.

In a statement released by the US Department of Justice, the suspected Nigerian fraudster was accused of conspiring to launder hundreds of millions of dollars from Business Email Compromise (BEC) frauds and other scams, including schemes targeting a U.S. law firm, a foreign bank and an English Premier League soccer club.

Hushpuppi made his initial U.S. court appearance this morning in Chicago, and he is expected to be transferred to Los Angeles in coming weeks.

Federal prosecutors who filed a criminal complaint filed on June 25, alleged that the suspected Nigerian fraudster is “one of the leaders of a transnational network that facilitates computer intrusions, fraudulent schemes (including BEC schemes), and money laundering, targeting victims around the world in schemes designed to steal hundreds of millions of dollars.”

It was also alleged that Hushpuppi finances his opulent lifestyle of designer clothes, wearing expensive watches, posing in or with luxury cars and charter jets through crime.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Gunmen attack FMC Lokoja

The statement partly reads;

BEC schemes as often involving a computer hacker gaining unauthorized access to a business’ email account, blocking or redirecting communications to and/or from that email account, and then using the compromised email account or a separate fraudulent email account to communicate with personnel from a victim company and to attempt to trick them into making an unauthorized wire transfer.

“BEC schemes are one of the most difficult cybercrimes we encounter as they typically involve a coordinated group of con artists scattered around the world who have experience with computer hacking and exploiting the international financial system,” said United States Attorney Nick Hanna.

“This case targets a key player in a large, transnational conspiracy who was living an opulent lifestyle in another country while allegedly providing safe havens for stolen money around the world. As this case demonstrates, my office will continue to hold such criminals accountable, no matter where they live.

“In 2019 alone, the FBI recorded $1.7 billion in losses by companies and individuals victimized through business email compromise scams, the type of scheme Mr. Abbas is charged with conducting from abroad.

“Technology has essentially erased geographic boundaries leaving trans-national criminal syndicates to believe that they are beyond the reach of law enforcement. The success in this case was the direct result of our trusted partnerships between the Department of Justice and our federal law enforcement colleagues. These partnerships helped dismantle a sophisticated organized crime group who preyed upon unsuspecting businesses. It is thanks to these partnerships that the American people can feel a bit more secure today.”

“Hushpuppi and his suspected co-conspirators were accused of spearheading a BEC scheme that defrauded a client of a New York-based law firm out of approximately $922,857 in October 2019. Abbas and co-conspirators allegedly tricked one of the law firm’s paralegals into wiring money intended for the client’s real estate refinancing to a bank account that was controlled by them.

“He was also accused of conspiring to launder funds stolen in a $14.7 million cyber-heist from a foreign financial institution in February 2019, in which the stolen money was sent to bank accounts around the world. Abbas allegedly provided a co-conspirator with two bank accounts in Europe which he expected to receive €5 million (about $5.6 million) in each.

“The suspected Nigerian fraudster also allegedly conspired to launder hundreds of millions of dollars from other fraudulent schemes and computer intrusions, including one scheme to steal £100 million (approximately $124 million) from an English Premier League soccer club, the complaint alleges.

“This case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Anil J. Antony and Joseph B. Woodring of the Cyber and Intellectual Property Crimes Section. If convicted of conspiracy to engage in money laundering, Abbas would face a statutory maximum sentence of 20 years in federal prison.”

Continue Reading

Crime

Rivers: Woman, 40, remanded for allegedly killing husband

Published

on

Port Harcourt serial killer

In Port Harcourt, a Chief Magistrates’ Court sitting on Thursday remanded a 40-year-old woman identified as Telma Bestman for allegedly murdering her husband Mr Wagbara Bestman.

The suspect, it was learnt conspired with others now at large to kill the husband with a gun following disagreements between them.

It was gathered that the suspect and her accomplices who are still at large attacked the victim at their residence at 15 Chiwota Street, Rumuolumeni town in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State on February 13, 2020.

MORE READING!  Man, 28, allegedly rapes 11-year-old girl in Ile Ife

The suspect a mother of four children is facing two counts bothering on murder.

The prosecutor, A. C Kennedy, told the Court that the offence of the accused is punishable under sections 324 and 319 of the Criminal Code, Cap 37 Vol. II, Laws Rivers State of Nigeria, 1999.

The Chief Magistrate, Ipalibo Iyiabo, transferred the case file to the Director, Public Prosecutions for advice.

MORE READING!  Abducted AuGF zonal officer killed, bank account emptied

Iyiabo, however, remanded the accused at the Nigerian Correctional Service facility and adjourned the matter to August 3, 2020, for mention.

Continue Reading

Crime

Gunmen kidnap nine travellers in Ondo, demand N100million ransom

Published

on

No fewer than nine people have been reportedly abducted by some gunmen, suspected to be herdsmen at Isua Akoko, the headquarters of the Akoko South-East Local Government Area of Ondo on Friday evening.

The victims were said to be traveling in a Toyota Sienna bus from Abuja heading towards Lagos State before they were kidnapped.

MORE READING!  Abducted AuGF zonal officer killed, bank account emptied

However, the details about their abduction were still sketchy as at the time of filing this report on Friday.

A source said the kidnappers have contacted the family of one of the victims and demanded a sum of N100m ransom.

The Public Relations Officer of the Ondo State Police Command, Tee-Leo Ikoro, who confirmed the incident said one of the victims had been rescued.

MORE READING!  I dreamt if I rape a girl child I would be rich - Suspected rapist says

He said, ” Efforts are on to ensure the release of other victims. Our men are working with hunters, local vigilante, and other agencies to get then released unhurt.”

Continue Reading




Trending