Connect with us


Thank God COVID-19 didn’t kill me while I was trying to save others- Infected nurse


Thank God COVID-19 didn't kill me while I was trying to save others- Infected nurse shares her experience

A U.S based Nigerian nurse and mother of two, May Toba, has survived the dreaded covid-19 pandemic after testing positive.

She further shares her story with Dorcas Egede;

“People who are able to go to the hospital on time stand a better chance of surviving, but the thing is that they are asking people to self-quarantine because since it’s a virus, it will run its course and go by itself.

It becomes complicated for many people when they now have underlying illnesses like diabetes, asthma, cardiac problems, and pneumonia.

I am diabetic, that’s what made mine worse.”

It all started with a bit of temperature, she recalled.

“I was having a bit of temperature; I own a thermometer, so I checked myself and found that it was 38.4.

Usually, the temperature is supposed to be between 35 and 37.5. I checked the first day, took paracetamol; I kept monitoring it daily and it kept increasing.

“The next day, I decided to go shopping with my son. I didn’t isolate because, to be honest, I was in denial that it could be Coronavirus.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: The only solution to the pandemic is seeking the face of God- Methodist Archbishop says as he urges Nigerians to join church service online

I thought it was a common cold and general body weakness. By this time, people in London were panic-buying.

Everybody was rushing to buy tissues and other things.

So, I went shopping with my son, so that if London shuts down over the weekend, we would have food at home.

“I live in South-East London, so as we got to Woolich, I was short of breath and also couldn’t walk a long distance without stopping to sit somewhere.

When we got home, I asked my son to offload the things we bought, that I needed to go to the hospital because I was having signs of COVID-19.

MORE READING!  2,000 Lagosians benefit from ”Eko Cares” initiative- Official

I drove down to the hospital where I work. I work in Accident and Emergency and we are the front-liners. Everything comes through our doors.

“On getting there, my colleague said to me: ‘May, you should know better. These are flu-like symptoms. Why don’t you just stay at home for seven days instead of coming to the hospital?’ I told her I wasn’t feeling right at all and that if I was, I wouldn’t come to the hospital.

“Being that I work in the hospital, they rushed me straight, took my samples, and did all my blood tests and x-rays. The COVID-19 test takes 48 hours before the result comes out.

They started diagnosing it through the patient’s x-ray. When they do your chest x-ray, they can see from your lungs if there’s fluid in the lungs.

They detected fluid in my lungs and saw that it had started collapsing already.

The doctor immediately told me that he’s going to intubate me and place me on a ventilator to allow my lungs rest.

I agreed and was injected. That was the last I knew of what happened until four days later.

“According to my colleagues, I was intubated and sent to ICU. I woke up four days later and was told the water in my lungs had already dried up and the blood test had become better. They did another swab and it was negative, that’s how I was discharged.

Please can you trace how you got infected?

MORE READING!  Elderly man caught molesting lady inside moving bus (Video)

“On the 13th, I worked with COVID-19 people. My matron and I were trying to see if it was on that shift I contracted it. I still think it was that shift; because that day, we had about five COVID-19 patients and we weren’t properly dressed at the time because the WHO hadn’t told us what to wear.

It was the week I was sick that they now decoded that anybody attending to patients with any form of respiratory illness should gown up.

“I would say my symptoms took five days to show because I worked on the 13th and was admitted at the hospital on the 19th. But, you never can tell with this virus. I could have contracted it on the train on my way to work; it could have been brought home from school by any of my children. But I’m grateful to God that he didn’t allow COVID-19 kill me while trying to save others.

Did you get your children tested?

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Bello orders two weeks total lockdown in Kabba/Bunu LGA

“They didn’t have to be tested because they don’t have any underlying illness and they have not shown symptoms. The government said there is no need for them to be tested.

Sadly, a 13-year-old died in London yesterday and he didn’t have any underlying illness. He’s the youngest that has died in London so far.

Every day, the death toll keeps rising.”


Plateau’s COVID-19 index case battling stiigma after her identity was leaked



Hauwa’u Yakubu’s name was leaked as the first confirmed COVID-19 case in Plateau State. After three weeks in isolation, she was released without showing any symptom but she has returned to a world in which she is being stigmatized over a disease she thinks she never had.

On April 17, a team of National Centre for Disease Control and Plateau State Government officials drove into the Dogon Karfe area of Jos, the capital. They came for a certain Hauwa’u Yakubu, who was completely oblivious as to why they had come for her.

Apparently, Hauwa’u, 20, a secondary school leaver and tailor had just returned from Kano, where she had attended a relative’s wedding. But Kano already had an outbreak of COVID-19, which by the time had reached community transmission level, and it was based on this that they came for Hauwa’u to collect her samples for tests and to put her in isolation.

By April 23, when those test results came back as positive and were made public, Hauwa’u life would change in ways she had not imagined before. She became the Plateau State COVID-19 index case.

The news threw the state into some confusion and Hauwa’u suddenly became the subject of gossips and insults for allegedly bringing coronavirus to the state. Insults for allegedly travelling, upon her return from Kano, to Yelwa and Gindiri to see relatives and inadvertently spread the infection.

“Immediately I arrived Jos [from Kano] on April 17, I was picked up by government officials even before I entered the house,” Hauwa’u said. “I didn’t spend much time on my arrival before I was picked up, not to talk about travelling to Gindiri and Yelwa. In fact, I have never known the two places mentioned in my life.”

She has been deeply hurt by the information spread about her, which have left her stigmatized, even now that she had been cleared. She believes those behind the rumours are mischief-makers.

MORE READING!  You no get respect, Blackface lambastes Wizkid for calling Buhari, Trump clueless

But how did she come to be in this situation?

“When I arrived Jos at about 4 pm, some people within the community informed NCDC that I had arrived from Kano and I had seen COVID-19 patients and had interactions with them. That story is fabricated. I hadn’t interacted with COVID-19 patients,” she said.

Whatever the case, on the strength of that information the team arrived to pick her up. She was first taken to an isolation centre in Hipang, in Barikin Ladi LGA, where she spent a week. It was there that her sample was first taken for tests. She received news of the test results on social media.

The Plateau State government said it was investigating the “unprofessional” leak of information.

“Plateau State Government is investigating the circumstances surrounding the leak of the confidential laboratory result of some suspected COVID-19 cases carried out at the National Veterinary Research Institute  Testing Centre in Vom which has been circulating in the social media,” Dan Manjang, the commissioner of information and communication said in an April 25 statement.

The leak, however, baffled Hauwa’u and her family as even though it was her name, the picture that made the rounds on social media was not hers. That gave her some false hope that perhaps she was not the person in question.

After a week at Hipang, Hauwa’u was moved to another isolation centre at Jos University Teaching Hospital (JUTH), where she spent almost two weeks.

“Since the time I was picked up from home to the time I was discharged and brought back home, I was asymptomatic,” she said. “There was no sign of coronavirus in my body if what we see on TV and hear on the radio are the symptoms of the disease. All I know is that even before the incident, I have ulcer and that has been my health problem for some years.”

In her three weeks in isolation, she was only administered with a dose of chloroquine on one occasion. She doubts she actually tested positive for the virus.

MORE READING!  Hameed Ali’s new wife: Man demands N9m refund from ex-girlfriend for refusing to marry him

Now though, her business and social life have been affected by the stigma of the whole episode.

“My customers are running away from me now because of the news that I tested positive for coronavirus. Since I came back from Kano, nobody has come for my service,” she said. 

“But I thank God that I have been cleared. All I know is that I am healthy and have left everything to Allah.”

Her paternal grandmother, Adama Muhammad, who stays with her is saddened by the damage done to her granddaughter.

“I am not happy because some people have lied against my granddaughter which has spoiled her name,” she said. 

“Her customers have ran away from her. Hauwa’u is a good tailor and has been assisting the family from what she earns but this incident has made everything difficult for her now because of stigmatization.”

She said the stigmatization has extended to other members of the family and blames the leak and called it a “blackmail meant to tarnish the image of our family.”

On rumours on social media that the state government had given the family N150,000, to calm them down, the grandmother said, “We haven’t received any cash or item from anybody. They brought her back home without anything. That story is not true.”

Despite the stigmatisation, the grandmother said the family is happy with Hauwa’u’s return, adding that she was embraced by all and sundry and wished her success and prosperity in her future endeavours.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Registration of religious, social centers begins in Lagos

A youth leader at Dogon Karfe, Muhammed Shugaba, who spoke on behalf of the community described the development as an unethical and unprofessional from some officials at the NVRI, from where the leak occurred.

“Leaking the result to the public is unacceptable to us and we will never accept it. Thus, we demand an explanation on this embarrassment and public defamation of character of the community and our daughter whose confidentiality was bridged.

“The situation seems to be politically influenced. We, therefore, as a community, demand a public apology and immediate investigation into the circumstances that led to this unwarranted and unacceptable situation from the state taskforce on COVID-19. We will not be deterred to initiate legal proceedings in the matter is not addressed properly, “ he said.

Contacted on how far the government has gone with the investigation, the state commissioner of health, Nimkong Larndam told Daily Trust that investigation is ongoing.

“Those who worked on the sample are currently being investigated. However, nobody has admitted to leaking the results but we must get to the button of the matter. We have handed the case over to an expert body. We have involved the security in the matter. They have gone far and we are just waiting for them to submit their reports,” the commissioner said.

The family and the community are waiting to see how those responsible for the leak would be punished as the government said but for Hauwa’u, the journey to regaining her image is going to be long and slow.

Source: Daily Trust

Continue Reading


37 health workers test positive for COVID-19 in Kaduna



Kaduna government to enforce the use of face masks

The Kaduna state government has said that at least 37 health workers have tested positive for COVID-19 in the state.

The Deputy Director of the state’s Primary Healthcare Development Agency, Hamza Ibrahim Ikara, said this on Wednesday, after a COVID-19 sensitization program for district heads and traditional title holders under Zazzau Emirates.

MORE READING!  Good for her, man rejoices over rape, murder of Uwa Omozuwa

Ikara noted that 20 health workers have already been discharged from the isolation centre out of the 37 patients. Ikara, however, confirmed that the state has over 200 active cases with eight fatalities.

“As we speak, since the outbreak of COVID-19 in the state, we have 37 health workers that have been affected by COVID-19 but almost 20 of them have been discharged while the remaining ones are under admission.

“So the virus is real,” he said.

Speaking further, the official added that the COVID-19 virus has spread to nine local government areas in the state such as Chukun, Kaduna North, Kaduna South, Zaria and Sabon Gari, as well as Soba, Giwa, and Makarfi.

MORE READING!  Buhari presides over Virtual FEC meeting
Continue Reading


WHO to resume trial of hydroxychloroquine on COVID-19



Covid-19: WHO set to resume hydroxychloroquine trials

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says it will resume its trial of hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of coronavirus (COVID-19) patients.

WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, stated this in official twitter account of the UN health agency.

According to him, the hydroxychloroquine section of the WHO’s Solidarity Trial can resume after being paused temporarily on May 25.

The trial’s Data Safety and Monitoring Committee had halted the study as a precaution in response to safety concerns raised by an observational study published in the Lancet.

Ghebreyesus said the Data Safety Monitoring Board’s review had been completed.

“Last week, the Executive Group of the Solidarity Trial decided to implement a temporary pause of the hydroxychloroquine arm of the trial, because of concerns raised about the safety of the drug.

“This decision was taken as a precaution while the safety data were reviewed; the Data Safety and Monitoring Committee of the Solidarity Trial has been reviewing the data.

“On the basis of the available mortality data, the members of the committee recommended that there are no reasons to modify the trial protocol.

“The Executive Group received this recommendation and endorsed the continuation of all arms of the Solidarity Trial, including hydroxychloroquine.

“The Executive Group will communicate with the principal investigators in the trial about resuming the hydroxychloroquine arm,’’ he said.
The director-general said the Data Safety and Monitoring Committee would continue to closely monitor the safety of all therapeutics being tested in the Solidarity Trial.

“So far, more than 3,500 patients have been recruited in 35 countries.

“WHO is committed to accelerating the development of effective therapeutics, vaccines and diagnostics as part of our commitment to serving the world with science, solutions and solidarity,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, Nigeria, on May 27, declared that it would continue with hydroxychloroquine clinical trials on COVID-19 patients.

MORE READING!  Don seeks national re-orientation to stop incessant rape

Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, the Director-General of National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) said the country would continue with the drug, in spite of the initial warning by WHO to discontinue using it.

”I do not know the data that they’re looking at, whether it’s from the Caucasian population or from the African population.

”If the data they’re looking at, and the reason for suspending the trials, is from the Caucasian population, then it may be justified.

“But I don’t think we have data from the African population yet, because our genetic makeup is different.

”If medical doctors, research scientists, pharmacists, herbal experts work together, we should conclude the clinical trial in three-four months.
“The narrative might change afterward but for now, we believe in hydroxychloroquine,” she said.


MORE READING!  For daring to eat his goat intestines, man kills 20-year-old brother in Ebonyi
Continue Reading