Connect with us

Sports

Tottenham Hotspur appeal Son red card for tackle on Everton’s Gomes

Published

Tottenham Hotspur have appealed the red card shown to striker Son Heung-min for the tackle that led to Everton midfielder Andre Gomes suffering a horrific ankle injury in their Premier League match on Sunday, British media have reported.

Gomes suffered a fracture dislocation to his right ankle in the second half of the 1-1 draw at Goodison Park after landing off balance at speed after the tackle from Son and then colliding with Spurs full-back Serge Aurier.

MORE READING!  Is Cristiano Ronaldo expecting another baby?

Portugal international Gomes had surgery on Monday and Everton said afterwards he was expected to make a full recovery.

Referee Martin Atkinson showed Son a red card for his tackle on Gomes and the Premier League said after the match that he had been dismissed for “endangering the safety of a player”.

Both the BBC and the Guardian reported that Spurs had appealed to the Football Association asking for the red card to be rescinded.

MORE READING!  Tennis: Federer becomes world’s highest-paid Athlete, Forbes declares

South Korea international Son, who was in tears in the dressing room after the match, will be banned for Tottenham’s next three Premier League matches against Sheffield United, West Ham and Bournemouth if the appeal is unsuccessful.

General

Mayweather offers to cover funeral costs for George Floyd

Published

on

Boxing great Floyd Mayweather has offered to cover the funeral expenses for George Floyd, the 46-year-old African-American man whose death while in police custody in Minneapolis prompted protests across the United States.

The former five-division world champion’s promotional company, Mayweather Productions, confirmed on Twitter that he had made the offer, and several local media reports have said the family have accepted.

MORE READING!  Tyson may die in the ring against Fury- Dillian Whyte warns WBC president

Mayweather Productions and the boxer’s agency have yet to respond to a request for comment.

Derek Chauvin, the 44-year-old Minneapolis police officer who kneeled on Floyd, has been arrested on third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter charges. Three other officers involved in the arrest have not been charged.

The incident has prompted an outcry across the United States and abroad, with numerous pro athletes and leagues speaking out, including NBA great Michael Jordan and golf’s 15-times major champion Tiger Woods.

MORE READING!  Mayweather offers to cover funeral costs for George Floyd

Steve Bisciotti, the owner of the NFL’s Baltimore Ravens, pledged $1 million for social justice reform and said a group of former and current players would decide which organisations benefit.

“We must all discover new ways to unite. We must all work to break the cycle of systematic racial injustice,” Bisciotti said in a statement.

Continue Reading

Sports

Ronaldo snubs C. Ronaldo names Messi as number one

Published

on

Brazil football legend, Delima Ronaldo in a recent statement has snubbed Portugal international, Cristiano Ronaldo as he lists the top five football players he loves watching.

Ronaldo named Argentine star Lionel Messi as his number one while adding that he loves to watch the likes of Mohamed Sallah, Kylian Mbappe, Eden Hazard and Neymar.

“Messi, of course, he is number one, it is a talent that we will take 20 or 30 years to see something similar.

“I also like Salah, Hazard, Neymar, that I love watching him play, of course Mbappe,” Ronaldo Delima explained according to AS.

The debate between Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo will continue to go on even after they retire from football.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: I tested positive after the premier league suspension, Brendan Rogers, reveals

The two players have won many titles in their careers, however, the World Cup is the only trophy any of them is yet to win.

Continue Reading

Sports

Tyson may die in the ring against Fury- Dillian Whyte warns WBC president

Published

on

Tyson may die in the ring against Fury- Dillian Whyte warns WBC president

WBC President, Mauricio Sulaiman has warned British professional boxer, Dillian Whyte that former heavyweight champion, Mike Tyson, may die in the ring.

Sulaiman had publicly backed Tyson’s proposed comeback and even said he would support the 53-year-old making a run for British fighter, Tyson Fury’s heavyweight title belt.

Tyson has been posting training videos recently, with reports suggesting the American could return to the ring in a series of exhibition fights in Australia.

MORE READING!  Is Cristiano Ronaldo expecting another baby?

READ ALSO: Ighalo to remain in Man Utd till 2021

But according to Whyte, it is silly for Sulaiman to be encouraging Tyson to challenge the reigning heavyweight champion, Fury.

“It’s silly. If they cannot sanction a fight with me for three years, why the hell are they going to sanction a fight with a 53-year-old man and a 31-year-old man?

“It makes no sense. That is silly. Mauricio and I are cool, but it is a very silly thing to say.

“He should not be encouraging it.

“What if he comes back and dies in the ring? What is going to happen then?

“We have already got enough darkness and enough mud thrown on the sport as it is, we do not need anymore,” Whyte told talkSPORT.

Continue Reading




Trending