Connect with us

News

Treason: Sowore, Bakare plead not guilty

Published

The federal government has re-arraigned Omoyele Sowore, convener of #RevolutionNow Movement, and his co-defendant Olawale Bakare on a two-count of treasonable felony.

At the court on Thursday, Aminu Alilu, the prosecution counsel, asked that the previous seven-count, which was filed in September 2019, be substituted with the amended charge.

Upon re-arraignment, Sowore and Olawale Bakare, his co-defendant, pleaded not guilty to the two-count charges of conspiracy to commit treasonable felony and treasonable felony.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Oyo activates three community testing sites

The government accused them of staging “a revolution campaign on 5th day of August 2019, tagged #RevolutionNow” aimed at removing the president during his term of office by unconstitutional means.

Alilu announced preparedness to proceed with the trial but the defence team led by Abdul Mahmud objects to the commencement of the trial on the ground that the statement of witnesses is yet to be served on them.

MORE READING!  Expedite action to bring Omozuwa’s killers to justice, group tasks Police

Mahmud informed the court that what the prosecutor served on them was the summary statement of the four witnesses, he insisted on being served with the full statements.

He also insisted that since the prosecutor has his evidence on tape, he wants him to provide the tape to be played in the open court but the prosecutor says he will need two weeks to provide a DVD player to present the evidence.

MORE READING!  Three-year-old, his father and three siblings contract coronavirus in Imo

Earlier on, the Prosecutor informed the court that the FG has complied with the order of the court over the payment of N200,000 as a cost to the defendants.

Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu after hearing all sides adjourned the case to the 11th, 12th and 13th of March for definite trial.

News

Edo to launch sex offenders’ register

Published

on

Edo: Decomposed body of kidnapped ex-commissioner for youth, sports, found in forest

The Edo State Government, on Wednesday, said it was working with consultants to domesticate the sex offenders’ register as part of its stance against rape and other forms of gender-based violence.

The Chairperson, Edo State Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Response Team, Prof. Yinka Omorogbe, who addressed journalists in Benin City, said the government remained committed to its zero-tolerance for any form of gender-based violence.

MORE READING!  Medical doctor jokes about rape, says women should 'wear agbada or caftan' [See WhatsApp Chat]

Omorogbe, who is also the state’s attorney-general and commissioner for justice, stated,

“I am hoping that in the coming months, after working with our consultants, we will be able to launch our own Edo State sex offenders’ register, which is expected to be a live register to prevent manipulation.

“I want to send a message to the perpetrators out there. We are coming for you. To all those who take pleasure in inflicting violence on their spouses, children and others, know this day that your days are numbered.”

Continue Reading

News

Amnesty International to Buhari: Declare rape a national emergency

Published

on

Buhari to present amended 2020 budget to NASS next week

A global human rights organisation, Amnesty International, has called on the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to declare rape a national crisis in the country.

Amnesty International Nigeria said on Wednesday that it joined its voice to other civil societies demanding justice for Uwaila and Barakat.

The AI Nigeria, in a series of tweets, noted that a “toxic culture that encourages men to see women as passive sex objects” must be discouraged.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG approves five airports for flight resumption

The organisation tweeted,

“The government’s response to rape continues to be woefully inadequate. Frequent reports of rape across Nigeria are a gruesome reminder of the violence women and girls face. Violence against women and girls is often not properly registered or investigated.

“The rape and murder of 18-year-old student, Barakat Bello, in Ibadan is shocking. Amnesty International is calling on the Nigerian authorities to declare a national crisis on rape. Women and girls’ safety must be paramount across Nigeria.

“Dear President Buhari, declare rape a national crisis. Rape is a crime. If there is no consent, it is rape, even if the victim stays quiet and does not resist. The ‘boys will be boys’ mentality warps sex into something for men, done by men to women, without regard for the woman’s well-being. This toxic culture that encourages men to view women as passive sex objects needs to be addressed.

“We are joining people in Nigeria to demand justice for Omozuwa (Uwaila), who was raped and murdered in a Nigerian church. Violence against women must stop. Authorities have to ensure justice for her and other women.”

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Nigeria records 348 coronavirus cases, total now 11,166

Published

on

Nigeria has recorded new Coronavirus cases with the NCDC announcing 348 new cases of Coronavirus in Nigeria.

Newsone Nigeria reports that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed 348 new Coronavirus cases in a tweet on the micro-blogging site, Twitter on Wednesday evening, June 2.

This burgeoning online news platform understands that the NCDC noted that of the 348 COVID-19 cases recorded on Wednesday evening, 163 were detected in Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial city, FCT-76 Ebonyi-23 Rivers-21 Delta-8 Nasarawa-8 Niger-8 Enugu-6 Bauchi-5 Edo-5 Ekiti-5 Ondo-5 Gombe-5 Benue-4 Ogun-2 Osun-1 Plateau-1 Kogi-1 Anambra-1, southeast Nigeria.

MORE READING!  Edo to launch sex offenders’ register

To be continued……

Continue Reading




Trending