Connect with us

Politics

Tribunal delivers judgement on Atiku’s petition against Buhari’s victory Wednesday

Published

The Presidential Election Petition Tribunal in Abuja will on Wednesday deliver judgment in the petition filed by the Peoples Democratic Party and its presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, against the outcome of the February 23, 2019 election.

Recall that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had announced Buhari as the winner of the presidential elections held in February.

MORE READING!  Buhari presides over security council meeting

The petitioners asked the five-man tribunal led by Justice Mohammed Garba to nullify President Buhari’s victory at the poll and either declare them the winner ‎or order the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to conduct a rerun.

A senior member of the petitioners’ legal team, Mike Ozekhome (SAN), confirmed to The Punch that the hearing notice for the judgment had been served on lawyers representing the parties to the case on Tuesday.

“I can confirm to you that the judgment will be delivered 9am tomorrow (Wednesday),” Ozekhome said.

Politics

Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides creches, jingles

Published

on

The Ebonyi Government has pledged to do everything possible to encourage breastfeeding among young mothers in the state to improve child and maternal survival.

The Commissioner for Health in Ebonyi, Dr. Daniel Umezurike disclosed this on Tuesday during a press briefing to mark 2020 World Breastfeeding Week in Abakaliki.

Umezurike revealed that the state government considered the feeding critical by creating public awareness campaigns and jingles with support from partners to advocate breastfeeding in the state.

The commissioner also disclosed that civil servants who were nursing mothers in the state had been observing four months of paid maternity leave to encourage breastfeeding.

He said that wife of the Governor, Mrs. Rachael Umahi had established creches in the women development center and strategic locations to enhance appropriate feeding.

MORE READING!  Amaechi has vindicated me- Obaseki

“This is for the mother to get close to their children, even at work so that they can breastfeed intermittently.

He added that they were also allowed after the leave resumption to close at mid-day to enable them to return home to their babies to feed them appropriately.

“Breastfeeding is the most important way of improving child and maternal survival. We take this very seriously.

“We do all these to encourage, protect and support breastfeeding in the state,” Umezurike said.

According to him, malnutrition is a challenge that reduces the production of breast milk, when nursing mothers are not properly fed.

MORE READING!  Insecurity: Nigerians know we’ve done our best - Buhari

Umezurike added that such families to include the downtrodden and widows were supported by Mrs. Umahi to ensure family health was protected in the state.

He further stated that the COVID-19 pandemic had affected activities, food production, consumption practices degrading land, and ecosystems among others, thus every step is taken across the life cycle to mitigate environmental degradation and climate crisis.

He stated that the pandemic had demonstrated that the global world interdependent and dependent on the same planet, thus need a healthy planet with support of breastfeeding.

MORE READING!  PDP chieftain fears defeat in Ondo governorship polls 

Meanwhile, the Commissioner disclosed the current situation report of COVID-19 in the state, saying that totally confirmed cases are 871, deaths 25, discharged 804 and active cases are 36.

“We have three isolation centers and some on home isolation,” Umezurike said.

The Baby-Friendly Initiative Coordinator in the Ministry of Health, Mrs. Beatrice Ojinkama described breastfeeding as the foundation of life.

Ojinkama gave advantages of initiating breastfeeding to include serving as first immunization for a child to survive, help remove the reserved placenta, help in family planning among other processes.

She called on the media to assist partners and the ministry in achieving the scheme.

Continue Reading

Politics

FG to resume rollout of Digital Switch Over soon – Lai Mohammed

Published

on

The Federal Government says it will “very soon’ resume the rollout of Digital Switch Over (DSO) – a transition from analogue to digital television broadcasting – across the country.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed stated this on Tuesday in Lagos at a ceremony to unveil the new amendment to the 6th Edition of the Broadcasting Code.

Fielding questions from stakeholders at the ceremony, the minister said the DSO suffered some set back which led to holding after it was launched in six states.

MORE READING!  Insecurity: Nigerians know we’ve done our best - Buhari

He reiterated the commitment of the government to spread the massive benefits of digital television to the people, stressing that it was the fastest way to create jobs.

The Newsmen recalls the rollout of DSO commenced in Jos, Plateau in April 2016 and moved to Abuja, Ilorin, Kaduna, Enugu and lastly in Oshogbo in February 2018.

MORE READING!  I’ve not resigned as PDP publicity secretary in Edo -Nehikhare

The minister assured the stakeholders that they would hear from the government on the resumption of the DSO roll out in the coming weeks.

Mohammed also told the stakeholders that the government had been implementing policies and programs to reposition the creative industry.

He said one of the major recommendations of the Post COVID-19 Initiative Committee on the Creative Industry chaired by ace comedian, Ali Baba was a restructuring of the industry.

MORE READING!  PDP chieftain fears defeat in Ondo governorship polls 

The minister reassured that the government would soon set up a committee on the implementation of the recommendations to move the industry forward.

The Minister also reiterated the government’s commitment to assist the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria in securing the N10 billion Nigeria Media Intervention Fund from the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: Buhari orders rejig of security operational strategies

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered rejig of operational strategies of the nation’s security network to effectively counter the security situation across the country.

The National Security Adviser (NSA), Major General Babagana Monguno (Rtd.), disclosed this to State House Correspondents on Tuesday after the National Security Council meeting held at the State House.

MORE READING!  Suspension of LGA chairmen, abuse of power- CSO tells Wike

He also revealed that the administration was working on a solution to the security crisis in some parts of the country, saying that the Minister of Defense, Major General Bashir Salihi Magashi (Rtd), was “working on something” to give effect to President Buhari’s earlier marching orders to service chiefs.

The NSA also disclosed that the council noted that the proliferation of drugs is driving insecurity in the country.

MORE READING!  Akeredolu meets Tinubu, Sanwo-Olu, over Ondo election

Monguno said the manner of killings of their victims can only mean one thing and that is, the bandits, kidnappers and terrorists are out of their minds.

Continue Reading




Trending