Connect with us

Crime

Troops eliminate another top Boko Haram commander – DHQ

Published

The Defence Headquarters says troops of Operation Lafiya Dole (OPLD) have eliminated another top Boko Haram commander, Abu Usamah in an encounter on March 22 at Gorgi in Borno.

Acting Director, Defence Media Operations, Brig.-Gen. Benard Onyeuko disclosed this in a statement on Monday in Abuja.

Onyeuko said that the military communication confirmed by accurate intelligence that Abu Usamah was among Boko Haram insurgents killed during the encounter.

He explained that Usamah had earlier sustained fatal gunshot wounds in the firefight that ensued during the encounter before his foot soldiers hurriedly evacuated him and withdrew.

“Nevertheless, Abu Usamah died in the process.

“His death has no doubt created a consequential vacuum in the Boko Haram leadership particularly as the gallant troops remain resilient and continue to rout the criminal elements from their last enclaves in the North East.

“It would be recalled that on March 22, troops of OPLD, while conducting a special clearance operation in a subsidiary Operation called Operation AYISO TAMONUMA decimated some key Boko Haram elements in an encounter at Gorgi in Damboa Local Government Area (LGA) of Borno.

“In our earlier Briefing, we reported over 100 Boko Haram insurgents neutralised while scores of them escaped with gunshot wounds.

“This was in addition to several equipment casualty suffered by Boko Haram insurgents,” he said.

Onyeuko further disclosed that troops of 159 Task Force Battalion on March 27, neutralised scores of the Boko Haram/Islamic State’s West Africa Province (ISWAP) insurgents who attempted to infiltrate their location at Forward Operating Base Kanama, Yunusari LGA of Yobe.

MORE READING!  I became a kidnapper because my efforts to break out of poverty failed - Suspect

He said the terrorists were severely decimated by the gallant ground troops supported by the Air Component of OPLD.

“They withdrew in disarray under superior firepower and were subsequently crushed by own troops.

“Furthermore, during the encounter, several terrorists were neutralised while one Gun Truck and various arms and ammunition were captured by the troops.

“These include; one DSHK Gun, two AK 47 Rifles and magazines, one Rocket Propelled Grenade bomb, 273 rounds of Anti-Aircraft Gun ammunition, 101 rounds of 7.62mm (NATO) ammunition, 15 Jerri cans of Premium Motor Spirit and a Boko Haram Terrorists flag.

“Meanwhile, the Military High Command has congratulated the gallant troops for their resilience, courage and dedication to the noble cause of defending our fatherland against the criminal elements. They were equally enjoined to continue to be steadfast and relentless against the enemies of our nation,” he added.

NAN

MORE READING!  Military condoning torture, unlawful detention, sexual abuse of children escaping Boko Haram in Northeast 

Crime

Police arraign man, 26, over alleged fraud

Published

on

The police on Friday arraigned a 26-year-old man, Ilesanmi Ojo, before an Ado-Ekiti Chief Magistrates’ Court over alleged fraud.

The defendant of no fixed address is standing trial on a count charge of the alleged fraud.

The prosecutor, Insp. Oriyomi Akinwale told the court that the defendant committed the offense sometimes in the month of Dec. 2019 at Onala area in Ado-Ekiti.

MORE READING!  26-year-old man rapes neighbour's teenage daughter in Lagos

He alleged that the defendant, a mechanic, fraudulently obtained the sum of N155,000 from one Pastor Olusegun Olufowose to repair his Sienna vehicle.

Akinwale also alleged that the defendant duplicated the key of a Nissan Pathfinder Jeep with Reg. No. WWW 852 AE, belonging to the complainant without his consent.

He said the offenses contravened Sections 421 and 508 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ekiti State, 2012.

MORE READING!  Man, girlfriend, bag jail time for stealing 64 chickens

The prosecutor asked the court for an adjournment to enable him to study the case file and assemble his witnesses.

The defendant pleaded not guilty.

His counsel, Mr. Olarewaju Oluwasola, urged the court to grant his client bail, with a promise that he would not jump bail.

The Chief Magistrate, Mrs. Olanike Adegoke, granted bail to the defendant in the sum of N100,000 with two sureties in like sum.

MORE READING!  Nigerian, two others arrested for N8.1m fraud in India

She adjourned the case until June 24 for hearing.

Continue Reading

Crime

You have case to answer, court tells mechanic accused of manslaughter

Published

on

An Ikeja High Court on Friday told a mechanic, Taiwo Adeyemi, accused of killing a colleague during a physical scuffle, that he had to defend the manslaughter charge filed against him by the Lagos State Government.

Justice Hakeem Oshodi, delivering a ruling on a no-case submission filed by defence counsel, Mr Adetokunbo Agoro, said the prosecution for the state had presented sufficient evidence before the court to warrant Adeyemi putting up a defence.

According to reports the ruling on the no-case submission was originally slated to have been delivered on May 4 but was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Delivering the ruling online, Justice Oshodi said: “From the evidence laid before the court by the prosecution, there has been no evidence that has been discredited by the defence.

“There is, however, ample evidence on the face of the court’s record which is legally admissible, that links the defendant to the deceased.

“There cannot be any dispute that death occurred after a fight. The defendant is said to be the other party of the fight.

“From the written submission of the defence counsel, he believes that there is no documentary and prima facie case laid out by the prosecution and that the evidence of the first and second prosecution witnesses are hearsay.

“To the court, the prosecution has made out a prima facie case for the defendant to face. Accordingly, the defendant is now called upon to open his defence.”

Following the ruling, the judge adjourned the case until July 27 for defence.

MORE READING!  31-year-old armed robbery, murder suspect arrested in Imo

Reports have it that Adeyemi is charged with manslaughter contrary to Section 227 of the Criminal Law of Lagos 2011.

He was arraigned at the High Court on June 5, 2017.

According to the prosecution led by Mr M.T. Adewoye, the defendant committed the offence at 1.00 p.m. on April 4, 2014, at a mechanic’s shed, located at Ashade Market, Mangoro, Agege, Lagos.

“The defendant had an argument with the deceased, Sikiru Oladeinde; during the scuffle, he hit the deceased with a plank that had nails attached to it.

“Oladeinde sustained some injuries and passed away some days later in hospital,” the prosecutor said.

During the trial, three witnesses testified on behalf of the prosecution — a welder and co-worker of the deceased, Mr Olujimi Ogunleye; the brother of the deceased, Mr Kehinde Oladeinde; and the Investigating Police Officer (IPO), Sgt. Felix Osunbu.

MORE READING!  Alleged forgery: Arrest warrant on two Sri Lankans still stands, judge says
Continue Reading

Crime

Man, girlfriend, bag jail time for stealing 64 chickens

Published

on

Five women arraigned for allegedly smoking marijuana in public

A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Kafanchan, Kaduna State has jailed a 35-year-old man, Abdullahi Sani, and his 20-year-old girlfriend, Sarah Paul, for stealing 64 chickens.

The police charged Sani and Paul with criminal conspiracy, housebreaking, theft and mischief, contrary to sections 58, 332, 270 and 312 of the Kaduna State Penal Code.

In his ruling, Magistrate Michael Bawa sentenced Sani to 38 months in a correctional facility and Paul bagged 13 months for her role in the crime.

MORE READING!  To nab a suspected armed robber, IGP Special Tactical Squad arrests his friend, tortures him to death

Bawa also ordered the first convict to pay N600, 000 while the second convict will pay N200, 000 as compensation to the complainant as applied by the prosecution.

Earlier, the Prosecution Counsel, Insp. Esther Bishen, told the court that one Hilary Garba reported the matter on May 21.

Bishen said the complainant alleged that the convicts broke into his house at night and stole 64 layers valued at N781, 970.

MORE READING!  My wife lied, incest is a taboo in Yorubaland, says man accused of raping his nine and seven-year-old daughters

The prosecution said that Paul was arrested while cooking some of the chickens.

She noted that the police recovered cell phones, a television set, generator, mattresses, amplifier, rug carpets from the convicts suspected to have been stolen.

When the charges were read to them, they both pleaded guilty and begged the court for leniency.

MORE READING!  26-year-old man rapes neighbour's teenage daughter in Lagos

The prosecutor thereafter prayed the court to try them summarily in line with section 125 (8) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law.

NAN

Continue Reading




Trending