Connect with us

Sports

Twitter to meet Manchester United over Paul Pogba racist abuse

Published

Twitter has said its representatives will meet with Manchester United’s within the next few weeks to discuss the racist abuse directed at Paul Pogba following Monday night’s game with Wolves.

Pogba became the third player in a week to be racially abused on social media following a penalty miss.

The Frenchman saw a 68th-minute penalty saved by Wolves goalkeeper Rui Patricio in the 1-1 draw at Molineux on Monday.

Several of Pogba’s team-mates criticised the abuse, while England women’s manager Phil Neville called for footballers to “boycott” social media.

MORE READING!  FIFA reacts as Arsenal defeat Chelsea to win FA Cup

Twitter said it will meet with any stakeholders to show the “proactive work” being done to tackle abuse.

It said in a statement, the micro-blogging site said:

We have always maintained an open and healthy dialogue with our partners in this space, but we know we need to do more to protect our users. Racist behaviour has no place on our platform and we strongly condemn it.

“Over the the next few weeks, Twitter representatives will meet with Manchester United, Kick It Out and any other civil society stakeholders interested in hearing about the proactive work Twitter is doing to address online racist abuse towards certain footballers in the UK.

“To this end, we look forward to working more closely with our partners to develop shared solutions to this issue.”

READ ALSO: Daniel Sturridge joins Mikel Obi at Trabzonspor on three-year deal

Last week, Twitter had agreed to discuss racist abuse with football anti-discrimination group Kick It Out for the first time following the abuse received by Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham after he missed the decisive penalty in their UEFA Super Cup defeat to Liverpool.

MORE READING!  Joe Aribo wins Young Player Of The Year Award

Reading midfielder Yakou Meite was also subjected to racial abuse after a 3-0 win over Cardiff in the Championship.

 

Sports

Valencia winger Torres signs in £21m deal by Man City

Published

on

The Spain Under-21 international becomes Pep Guardiola’s first major signing of the summer and will fill the gap in the squad left by Leroy Sane

Manchester City has completed the signing of Valencia winger Ferran Torres in a deal worth an initial £21 million ($27m).

The 20-year-old has signed a five-year contract at the Etihad Stadium and will join up with Pep Guardiola’s squad for the 2020-21 season.

MORE READING!  Australia's Kyrgios withdraws from U.S. Open

Valencia could receive a further £11m ($14m) in add-ons for the Spain Under-21 international, who was in the final 12 months of his contract.

Continue Reading

Sports

Tottenham set to sign £15m Hojbjerg

Published

on

Tottenham look set to make their first big signing of the summer transfer window.

The Telegraph reports that Southampton midfielder – and former captain – Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg is on the verge of joining Spurs in a deal worth £15m.

Apparently Tottenham full-back Kyle Walker-Peters – who joined the Saints on loan in January – will head in the opposite direction on a permanent basis.

MORE READING!  Yvonne Nelson blasts industry colleagues for not promoting her works

That separate arrangement is reported to be worth £12m.

Meanwhile, three European clubs have all reportedly had sizeable bids accepted for Southampton midfielder and Spurs transfer target Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.

According to a report from the Daily Echo, the trio have all made offers in the region of the £25m price that Saints have put on the Denmark international’s head.

MORE READING!  Joe Aribo wins Young Player Of The Year Award

Hojbjerg has made it clear that he prefers a move to Spurs and Saints are still locked in talks with them over a potential deal that could involve Kyle Walker-Peters going the other way.

Continue Reading

Sports

Pedro undergoes surgery for shoulder injury

Published

on

Chelsea’s Spanish winger Pedro has had surgery, following a shoulder injury he sustained during Saturday’s FA Cup final defeat by Arsenal.

Pedro had replaced forward Christian Pulisic in the game which Chelsea lost 2-1, after the American, who scored in the first half, pulled up with a hamstring problem.

“The surgery went well, I will be back soon. It was a pity not to win the FA Cup. Thank you all for your support,” the 33-year-old Pedro said on Instagram on Tuesday.

MORE READING!  Santi Cazorla reacts as Arsenal defeats Chelsea to win FA Cup

Pedro, whose Chelsea deal expires at the end of the month, has reportedly agreed a move to Italian Serie A side AS Roma on a free transfer.

Reuters

Continue Reading




Trending