Connect with us

News

Two students drown in Ado Ekiti

Published

Two students of Ado Grammar School, Ado-Ekiti drowned in Ureje River on Friday, the police said.

The Ekiti Police Command Public Relations Officer, DSP Caleb Ikechukwu, said the corpses of the students had been retrieved and deposited at a morgue.

“We learnt the students went to the river to swim and got drowned. Their bodies have been taken to the mortuary,’’ Ikechukwu said.

He said full investigations had begun into the circumstances surrounding the incident.

MORE READING!  #RevolutionNow: DSS asks Osun protesters to provide parents before release

Seven students on Friday scaled the school fence and went for swimming, during which the two drowned.

The source quoted one of the survivors as saying that although four of them jumped into the river, the two victims could not come out alive.

“Those on the river cliff had to raise an alarm for rescue,” the sources said.

The source added that a farmer working nearby with the help of some local divers rescued two of the students.

“They later brought out the bodies of the two other boys,’’ the source said.

News

Majek Fashek will be buried in the US – Son

Published

on

Randy Fashek, the first child of legendary Nigerian reggae musician, Majek Fashek, has said his late dad would be privately buried in the United States.

Randy, who is the first of three children born to Majek and his wife, Rita, said the decision was taken in order “to ensure the safety of the fans, family and his friends”.

He revealed this in a Youtube video on the ‘Majek Fashek and Family’ channel over the weekend.

Randy explained that the Covid-19 outbreak has made it impossible to bring his dad home while the burial date is yet to be fixed.

MORE READING!  Gunmen on motorcycles kill six French aid workers in Niger

“The decision was based on us exhausting all resources trying to bring dad home. We went to a great length to solve all situations and problems but were forced with this decision based on the economic pandemic such as COVID-19…and many more,” he revealed.

While acknowledging that the decision might not go down well with some people, he said the family is “making the appropriate decision”.

In conclusion, Randy, who had raised an alarm about the activities of scam artists out to defraud innocent fans by using his late dad’s name, said they have Majek’s best interest at heart.

MORE READING!  87 stranded Nigerians Arrive from Sudan

“You guys don’t feed into the people that said we are doing this for money, which is really ridiculous. We are one unit as we build dad’s estate.

“Meaning all Majek Fashek related items will go through me and the family and there are no exemptions to that. Our purpose is to build until we are in the position to help little children and this is what dad would have wanted,” he said.

MORE READING!  Governor Bala defends appointment of SA on unmarried women

Fashek, whose legendary music career spanned over three decades, died on June 1. He was 57.

The singer died in his sleep in New York City after battling an unknown illness that stalled his career for months.

Majek attracted international attention in 1987, with his self-penned tune, ‘Send down the Rain.’

He is survived by four children and his ex-wife, Rita.

Continue Reading

News

Gunmen on motorcycles kill six French aid workers in Niger

Published

on

Gunmen on motorcycles killed six French aid workers, a Nigerien guide and a driver in a wildlife park in Niger on Sunday, officials said.

The group was attacked in a giraffe reserve just 65 km (40 miles) from the West African country’s capital Niamey, the governor of Tillaberi region, Tidjani Ibrahim Katiella, told Reuters. “They were intercepted and killed,” he said.

The six worked for an international aid group, Niger’s Defence Minister Issoufou Katambé told Reuters. Officials had earlier described them as tourists.

Separately, a spokesman for French humanitarian aid group ACTED said its staff members were involved.

MORE READING!  FG evacuates 325 Nigerians from US in sixth special flight

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the assault. But France and other countries have warned people against travelling to parts of Niger where militants including Boko Haram and an affiliate of Islamic State operate.

French President Emmanuel Macron’s office confirmed that French nationals had been killed in Niger. It said Macron spoke on the phone with Niger’s President Mahamadou Issoufou, but provided no further details.

The Association of Koure Giraffe Reserve Guides issued a statement describing the attackers as a “unit of terrorists” and saying the dead included its president, Kadri Abdou.

MORE READING!  Gunmen on motorcycles kill six French aid workers in Niger

France’s TF1 television channel broadcast images that it said were taken from the scene showing the burnt-out remains of a 4×4 vehicle with bullet holes in the side.

The reserve southeast of the capital is a popular attraction in Niger, a huge country that borders seven states in an unstable region including Libya, Mali, Chad, Algeria and Nigeria.

Militants linked to Islamic State killed four U.S. soldiers in an ambush in Niger near the border with Mali in Oct. 2017, an attack that increased scrutiny of U.S. counter-terrorism operations there.

MORE READING!  87 stranded Nigerians Arrive from Sudan

France, a former colonial power in the region, also launched a coalition of West African and European allies in June to fight Islamist militants in the Sahel region that includes Niger.

It has deployed thousands of troops in the arid region south of the Sahara desert since 2013. But militant violence has been on the rise.

Reuters

Continue Reading

News

Yahoo boys have become role models in Nigeria – Diezani Madueke (Video)

Published

on

Former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke, has lamented that internet fraudsters, popularly known as Yahoo Boys, have become role models in Nigerian society.

Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke said this at the weekend while delivering a lecture at a virtual event organised by the Ijaw National Development Group.

The former minister said,

“The ones that have swag, the Yahoo Yahoo boys as my son would say; these in short, are the role models they are looking at. These are the ones that reinforce negative societal norms and values”.

Diezani warned that the new trend is a travesty of an unfolding tragedy for the country, adding that an irresponsible boy will certainly develop into an irresponsible man.

MORE READING!  #RevolutionNow: DSS asks Osun protesters to provide parents before release

Diezani said there are no shortcuts to progressing in life, adding that only hard work could guarantee success.

“It affects not only our homes and our cultural and traditional values and structure but it permeates the very strength of our regional economy as well.

“The consistent hard work and mental vigour needed to build a solid regional economic base in the Niger Delta becomes completely eroded,” she stated.

Watch the video below;

MORE READING!  NUPENG orders tanker drivers to withdraw services in Lagos

 

 

 

Continue Reading




Trending