Connect with us

Sports

UCL: Slavia Prague didn’t play the kind of football we trained for – Conte

Published

Slavia Prague

Inter Milan’s coach Antonio Coach has attributed his side’s home draw in the Champions League opening match against Slavia Prague to his lack of understanding of the type of match he was going to play.

Conte, who had dismissed as a cliché, claims that he is a local champion who is only good in Serie A but less so in Europe, explained that his Czech club opponent played the wrong kind of football.

WUZUPNIGERIA reports that Nigeria’s Peter Olayinka was the star of the match after scoring for the visitors in the 63rd minute of the match which was his UEFA Champions League debut.

READ ALSO: Nigeria’s Peter Olayinka nets on his UCL debut as Inter draw Prague 1-1

Inter, who might have expected to cruise past Prague, were stunned at San Siro on Tuesday night by the Czech champions whose close season transfer spending of around eight million euros was around one eighth of what the Italian side spent on forward Romelu Lukaku alone.

MORE READING!  Tennis: Osaka highest-paid female athlete in history- Forbes

Inter struggled for a stoppage-time equaliser to draw 1-1, dropping two points they could ill afford to lose in a group that also has Borussia Dortmund and La Liga champions Barcelona.

Explaining why his side had a false start, Conte said:

“This is not the kind of football we train for.

“I’m the one to blame because I didn’t make the right choices before the game and I didn’t correctly understand the type of match I was going to play.

“Slavia Prague certainly played the European way, attacking and playing with high intensity and pressing.

“In other matches, we have played teams who have waited in their half of the pitch, but Slavia attacked us and we should have found different solutions.”

Conte made his name by winning three successive Serie A titles with Juventus but his two European campaigns with the Turin side ended in a quarter-final and group stage elimination.

MORE READING!  Former Serbian footballer commits suicide

It was a similar story at Chelsea where he won the Premier League in his first season but saw his side knocked out of the Champions League in the round of 16.

On the eve of Tuesday’s match, Conte was asked about his reputation of being a domestic, rather than European, coach.

“People live by cliches,” he said. “As soon as someone says something on the television, everyone else starts copying it.”

Conte noted that every time he was in the Champions League it was with a team still being put together, a claim he could also make about the current Inter side on which over 150 million euros in transfers was spent in the summer window alone.

“You have to work in the Champions League,” he said.

So far, I have always taken part with new creations while the other (teams) are solid realities. That is what needs to be explained to the pundits. It’s not that I simply win everything I touch.”

 

MORE READING!  La Liga: Resumption date for Spanish top-flight league finally revealed

Reuters

Sports

Holyfield will fight Mike Tyson but on one condition…

Published

on

Former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield has said he is open to facing one-time rival Mike Tyson in a trilogy fight for charity on the condition that Tyson asks for the bout to be set up.

Tyson, 53, fought two epic bouts with Holyfield, 57, during their professional careers, including their controversial 1997 encounter in which Tyson bit off a chunk of Holyfield’s ear.

MORE READING!  I always thought I’d replace Mourinho – Pochettino

‘Iron Mike’ had released several training videos in recent weeks fuelling speculation he could be returning to the ring, while Holyfield announced his return for a charity bout on Instagram earlier this month.

“If I ask him it’s almost like me being a bully saying I want to go against somebody I’ve beaten twice,” Holyfield told the BBC.

“I don’t want pressure on me that ‘you just want to fight Mike because you know you can beat him’.

“If he hits me I’m going to hit back. I’m going to be 58, he’ll be 54, you talk about being in good health and doing things the proper way that respects it. I don’t have no problem with it.”

Tyson, the first heavyweight to hold the WBA, WBC and IBF titles, retired after a loss to Kevin McBride in 2005, while Holyfield called time on his career nine years later.

MORE READING!  La Liga: Resumption date for Spanish top-flight league finally revealed

If they do return, they will be following in the footsteps of Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao in coming out of retirement for an exhibition fight.

Continue Reading

Sports

BKFC to offer ‘Iron’ Mike Tyson N20m to come out of retirement

Published

on

For some reason, there are people out there who think it’s a good idea to fight Mike Tyson. And at least one challenger is ready to put his money where the former champ’s fist might wind up.

“I think I know what we need to do to make this thing happen,” Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship president David Feldman told Bleacher Report, which reported that the organization is set to offer Mike Tyson more than $20 million to come out of retirement.

MORE READING!  BKFC to offer 'Iron' Mike Tyson N20m to come out of retirement

The 53-year-old Brooklyn native hasn’t fought in 15 years, but video or recent workouts showing Iron Mike training with the power and speed that once made him the most exciting fighter on Earth has renewed interest in what Tyson might be able to do now.

Tyson concluded one of those videos by throwing a barrage of hooks and uppercuts and saying “I’m back.”

Tyson’s rep told the Daily News on May 12 that the former champ is staying in shape, but has no matches lined up.

MORE READING!  Lille to fly Osimhen home in private jet for father's burial rites

The 5-foot-10, 240-pound bruiser said during an interview with rapper TI last month he might lace up the gloves for a good cause. The folks at BKFC trying to bait Tyson reportedly said they plan to sweeten their eight-figure offer to Tyson with charitable donations.

A boxing insider tells The News there have been at least four offers from fighters looking to challenge Tyson. Evander Holyfield, who beat Tyson twice before, said he’d like to get a piece of the fighter who famously bit off his ear in 1997, according to Reuters.

MORE READING!  Babayaro: Former Chelsea star, the greatest Nigerian to play in premier league, Sodje says

The 57-year-old Holyfield told the BBC Tyson would have to ask for that fight because otherwise, it may look like he’s bullying Iron Mike, who’s 0-2 against him.

Tyson’s spokeswoman said she had no knowledge of an offer from BKFC.

Continue Reading

Sports

Former Serbian footballer commits suicide

Published

on

Miljan Mrdakovic

38-year-old former Serbian footballer, Miljan Mrdakovic has died after reportedly shooting himself in the head.

Miljan Mrdakovic is said to have struggled with depression and anxiety.

Local media report that the retired Partizan Belgrade, Anderlecht, and Gent striker took his own life in his rented Belgrade apartment over the weekend after saying “I can’t take this anymore.”

His heartbroken partner and singer, Ivana Stanic, told the media:

“We had an ideal relationship, everything was great.

“But he had problems, he liked to drink and I think that, in addition to the problems he had with depression, is the main reason why he did it.

“After the end of his career, he struggled to cope because football meant everything to him.

“He started working as an agent, but it is a job where sometimes you have work and earnings, sometimes you don’t. He was depressed and anxious.

“The day before the suicide he drank a little too much and I felt like something bad could happen. I calmed him down, dragged him to bed and we talked all night.

“When we woke up, he started drinking. I froze when I saw a gun next to him. I cried and asked him to put it away and I called his mother to talk to him.

“I asked him to come with me and went to the bathroom to get dressed. Every now and then I looked at what he was doing and then suddenly I heard a shot. I ran away from the apartment and called the paramedics.”

Mrdakovic played for twenty clubs across 10 countries including Vitoria Guimaraes in Portugal and Maccabi Tel Aviv in Isreal. He also played nine matches with Serbia U21s and three times for Serbia at the 2008 Olympics.

MORE READING!  Lille to fly Osimhen home in private jet for father's burial rites

Former club Maccabi Tel Aviv posted a statement, reading:

“Maccabi Tel Aviv is saddened to learn of the passing of the club’s former Serbian striker, Miljan Mrdakovic, who died in tragic circumstances on Friday in his native Belgrade, aged 38.

“Mrdakovic played for Maccabi in the 2006-07 season under then-coach Eli Cohen, and as a 24-year-old he made an immediate impression when in the opening round of the season he scored a spectacular goal against Beitar Jerusalem as he beat three defenders in a solo run that began in his own half before unleashing a powerful shot from the edge of the area.

“That season was his only campaign with Maccabi Tel Aviv in which he scored eight goals and set up four others in 29 appearances. After leaving Maccabi he moved to Portugal.”

Continue Reading




Trending