Connect with us

Coronavirus

Covid-19: Uganda records 84 new cases toll now 413

Published

Covid-19: Uganda records 84 new cases toll now 413

Uganda’s Ministry of Health late Saturday reported 84 new cases of COVID-19, the highest daily increase so far, bringing the nationwide tally to 413.

Out of the 1,835 samples collected from cross-border cargo truck drivers and communities in the last 24 hours, 52 Ugandan truck drivers and 32 contacts of previously confirmed cases under quarantine tested positive for the virus, the ministry said in a statement.

MORE READING!  Yahaya Bello mourns Arotile’s death

READ ALSO: Covid-19: S/Korea reports 27 more cases

“Additionally, 51 positive foreign truck drivers were handed over to their country of origin,’’ it said.

It has been the highest daily increase in COVID-19 cases since the index case was confirmed on March 21.

A total of 72 recoveries and no death has been so far reported in the country, according to the ministry.

MORE READING!  Lady blasts Bobrisky, says he's starting to cross the line with his antics

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

Coronavirus

COVID-19: Fast and pray for Malawi, President Chakwera begs citizens

Published

on

Malawi President Lazarus Chakwera has called on citizens to join him in fasting and prayer against the spread and impact of coronavirus in the country.

The president urged “all religiously-inclined citizens and residents of Malawi” to fast and pray for three days starting Thursday.

He has also declared Sunday a national day of thanksgiving.

“The president asks that prayers be lifted up for the recovery of those infected and affected by the virus; the protection and sustenance of healthcare workers on the front-lines of the fight, the protection and diligence of those who have not yet contracted the virus, the effectiveness of the presidential task force on Covid-19…” a statement signed by Information Minister Gospel Kazako said.

The Malawi president is a former church pastor, who led the Malawi Assemblies of God church for 24 years.

MORE READING!  Lady posts fiance's photos online, asks ladies to come forward if he's cheating

He became the leader of then opposition Malawi Congress Party in 2013 without having any previous political experience and was elected president in the 23 June election rerun, beating incumbent Peter Mutharika.

President Chakwera’s call for fasting and prayer has elicited mixed reactions on social media:

Continue Reading

General

57 health workers contract Covid-19 in Plateau- Official

Published

on

health workers

The Commissioner for Health in Plateau, Dr Nimkong Lar,  has said that 57 health workers were infected with COVID-19 in the course of their legitimate duties in various health centres in the state.

Lar stated this at a press briefing after an executive council meeting on Wednesday in Jos.

He said that they were workers managing COVID-19 patients in primary health centres, hospitals and private clinics across the state.

According to him, the state has a total of 571 confirmed cases with a record of 28 cases on Tuesday, which is the highest recorded so far.

“We have conducted 9,039 test, we have 7,324 results and 1,715 pending while 571 are confirmed cases.

”132 are on admission in four treatment centres, 260 discharged and we have recorded 16 deaths,” the commissioner said.

He noted that the state was organising community testing in the 17 Local Government Areas which was voluntary, adding that it had scheduled conducting a test for the government and Non-Governmental Organisations.

MORE READING!  Nigeria’s first locally mined gold bars received by Buhari

Also speaking, the Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mr Dan Manjang said that government would take disciplinary action against civil servants who refused to submit themselves for COVID-19 test.

Manjang said that the exercise which was supposed to be voluntary has been made compulsory for them.

He said that refusal to comply was a sign of insubordination which the Head of Service of the state has been mandated to handle appropriately.

MORE READING!  Lady posts fiance's photos online, asks ladies to come forward if he's cheating

He urged the public not to stigmatise people submitting themselves for the test, saying it was not a death sentence as many patients had recovered from the disease.

Manjang further said that the executive meeting reviewed the 2020 budget downward, following the current pandemic and that the federal allocation and the internally generated revenue had been affected.

“The budget was formerly N177.3 billion but scaled down to N99,907 billion to make it realistic,” he said.

Also, Commissioner for Budget and Economic Planning, Mr Sylvester Wallangko, explained that the revised budget was in compliance with the directive to ensure that a minimum of 10 per cent budget expenditure was COVID-19 related.

“We have earmarked 11.29 per cent of our expenditure spread between the recurrent and capital expenditure on COVID-19 related issues which is N11.25 billion,” Wallangko said.

 

MORE READING!  Karol G confirms she has Coronavirus
Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Philadelphia bans large public gatherings until February 2021

Published

on

Due to increase in COVID-19 cases in the United States, the city of Philadelphia has announced that it is cancelling all large events including the city’s marathon and Thanksgiving Day parade until the end of February next year.

This announcement was made by Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney on Tuesday, July 14.

Mayor Jim Kenney said the ban on large events includes festivals, parades, concerts, carnivals, fairs, flea markets and block parties such as the Thanksgiving Day parade and the Philadelphia Marathon are all cancelled.

MORE READING!  Nigeria’s first locally mined gold bars received by Buhari

In a tweet, he wrote:

‘He I’m disappointed to confirm that we are canceling large public events through February 28, 2021 due to the public health crisis. 

This was not an easy decision to make. The health and safety of residents, workers, and visitors must be our top priority.’

According to Mayor Kenney, 40% of new confirmed COVID-19 cases in the city are people under the age of 30.

“This underscores the importance of avoiding social gatherings, especially for young people,”.

The ban does not apply to any first amendment events like protests and demonstrations. Private outdoor events for ceremonies such as weddings will be allowed to go ahead if there are fewer than 50 guests. Organized outdoor sports with fewer than 25 people are also permitted.

MORE READING!  Lady blasts Bobrisky, says he's starting to cross the line with his antics

The decision to ban the next six months of events comes as the U.S. faces a surge in coronavirus cases.

Officials reported 148 new cases Tuesday afternoon, bringing the city’s total to over 27,700. The city’s death toll stands at 1,637.

 

See Tweet below;

Continue Reading




Trending