Connect with us

General

UK to evacuate 900 more British travellers stranded in Nigeria 

Published

900 more British travellers stranded in Nigeria are set to return home on three flights chartered by the United Kingdom government.

This was contained in a statement on the website of the UK government obtained on Sunday.

According to the statement, the new flights are scheduled as follows – May 29: Lagos – London, June 1: Lagos – London and June 6: Abuja – London.

The statement added that

“The additional charter flights have been arranged for British travellers, and their dependants, whose primary residence is the UK. Priority is given to the most vulnerable travellers, for example people with health conditions.

“Once completed, these additional flights will bring the total number of people flown back to the UK from Nigeria on government charter flights to around 2,000, following flights arranged last week from Lagos and Abuja to London.”

The statement also quoted UK’s Minister of State for Africa, James Duddridge, as assuring that the UK government would continue to work closely with its Nigerian counterpart.

MORE READING!  Panic as fire guts vehicle at Onitsha Army Baracks gate

Duddridge said,

“Our next phase of UK government charter flights will mean another 900 British travellers are able to return home from Nigeria. We appreciate this has been a difficult time and will continue to work closely with the Nigerian authorities to support those wishing to return to the UK.”

It also urged British travellers to visit the Nigeria Travel Advice pages for further information.

“The UK Government is working with the airline industry and host governments across the world to bring British travellers home as part of the plan announced by the Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on March 30.

“There is up to 75 million Pounds available for special charter flights to priority countries, focused on helping the most vulnerable travellers.

“So far, charter flights have returned British travellers from countries including India, the Philippines, Ecuador, Bolivia, Nepal, Ghana, Tunisia, Algeria and Peru,” the statement added.

General

Kano Hisbah confiscates 100 cartons of alcohol

Published

on

The Kano State Hisbah Board has confiscated a tricycle loaded with 100 cartons of alcohol trying to smuggle it into the state.

The Commander General of the Board, Dr. Harun Ibn-Sina, made the disclosure in a statement by the Public Relations Officer of the board, Malam Lawan Ibrahim, in Kano on Sunday.

The Commander made the disclosure while inspecting the intercepted consignment at the board’s Headquarters in Sharada Kano.

“As a result of co-ordinated exercise,  the tricycle loaded with hundred cartons of alcohol was successfully intercepted while the tricyclist is at large,” he said.

MORE READING!  Gov. Ortom's wife, son test positive for COVID-19

According to him, investigation reveals unscrupulous persons among the tricycle operators were being hired to smuggle alcoholic substance into the state.

Ibn-Sina urged tricyclist, owners and their associations in the state to pay attention to the activities of its members.

He said the state would not tolerate any operator who hides under the name of the business to engage in crime.

The Commander called on security agencies in the state to put more efforts to curtail such illicit trade.

MORE READING!  Kwara has spent N1.6bn on Covid-19- Rafiu Ajakaye

He advised various stakeholders to collaborate with the board in fishing out erring individuals among tricycle operators.

“Tricyclists should expose those behind the smuggling of alcohols, Indian hemp, and other dangerous drugs in the state in order to protect their integrity,” he said.

He emphasized that the government would deal decisively with anybody that was found in such activities.

MORE READING!  Panic as fire guts vehicle at Onitsha Army Baracks gate

He, however, enjoined the people of the state to report any suspicious move either by group or individuals to the nearest authority, to protect lives and property.

According to him, all hands must be on deck to ensure adequate security in the state.

Ibn-Sina commended the public for the cordial relationship with the board.

He added that the positive move would assist in reducing the rate of immoral acts and crimes among youths in the state.

Continue Reading

General

Kano CJ directs reopening of courts

Published

on

Kano State Chief Judge, Justice Nura Sagir, has directed Magistrate Courts to reopen for normal activities on Monday, July 6.

The Public Relations Officer of the state’s Judiciary, Mr. Baba Ibrahim, made the disclosure in a statement on Sunday in Kano.

Sagir said that the directives followed easing of the COVID-19 lockdown by the state government.

“All Magistrates’ in the state should resume court sitting immediately,” Sagir was quoted as saying in the statement.

The Newsmen reports that Sagir had on March 25, directed for the suspension of the court sitting, in compliance with the COVID-19 lockdown imposed to stem further spread of the pandemic in the state

MORE READING!  My girlfriend takes money from her ex for upkeep, says they are friends, Nigerian man laments

Reports have it also that Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje, on Thursday announced a total eased of restrictions in view of the successes recorded in the campaign against the pandemic.

Continue Reading

General

If your fiancee’s family are poor and want a flamboyant wedding, they are gold diggers- Reno Omokri

Published

on

Popular political critic and writer, Reno Omokri in his nugget on Sunday has issued a piece of advice to young unmarried men.

Reno Omokri in his statement advised them never to go into debt to give a girl’s family the wedding they want.

He said,

“Dear single men, Never go into debt to give a girl’s family the wedding they want. If that is the price for marrying their daughter, then she’s not the right girl for you. A poor family, with a rich taste, is the surest sign of troublesome in-laws.”

Reno Omokri added that if the girl’s family wants a millionaire society wedding, and they are poor, they are gold diggers, he claimed.

“Dear men, If the girl’s family wants a millionaire society wedding, and they are poor, you are dealing with a gold-digging clan. They are many. You are one. If you go ahead with that marriage, you are attempting to break a coconut with your head!” He said.

MORE READING!  Donald Trump Jr’s girlfriend tests positive for Covid-19
Continue Reading




Trending