Connect with us

Coronavirus

UNILAG workers to proceed on two weeks break

Published

UNILAG lecturer

The University of Lagos (UNILAG) has told workers on salary scale CONTISS 1-12 to stay away for two weeks to check the spread of the COVID-19.

A statement issued by the University noted that the leave would begin Tuesday till April 8.

The break does not, however, cover workers in those levels rendering essential services and those on Levels 13-15.

The University also banned gatherings of more than 10 people on campus and directed restaurants to only serve take-outs.

The statement reads:

“Further to the earlier measures taken by the University Management to support the Federal and State Government’s effort in the fight against the spread of the Coronavirus which is on the increase in the country, Management at an emergency meeting held on Monday, March 23, 2020 approved that members of staff on CONTISS 1-12 should stay at home for two weeks with effect from Tuesday, March 24 to Wednesday, April 8, 2020.

“The stay-at-home directive is to curtail the spread of the CORONAVIRUS pandemic. Management also directs that the following measures should be adhered to:

a.) All social and religious gatherings or meetings of more than ten (10) persons is hereby banned on the University Campus.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Cases in Oyo firm, iSON Xperiences, rise to 151

b.) All level 1-12 officers and equivalent in the University have been directed to stay at home for the next two weeks with the exception of levels 13 -15.

c.) Deans of Faculty, Heads of Department, Directors, Secretaries attached to Principal Officers should continue to come to the office to keep the University running. Heads of Department/Unit are also encouraged to provide hand sanitizers at strategic areas of their offices.

MORE READING!  La Liga clubs free to start full training from Monday

d.) Staff in category (b) above who are on essential duties such as Works and Physical Planning Unit (Power), Security and Medical Services etc are also to be around to man the essential areas.

e.) Restaurants and canteens are expected to serve only take-away packs.

f.) Security personnel would move around to ensure that Management’s directives are adhered to by members of the Community.”

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Bauchi records two new deaths, discharges 37

The University urged the workers to observe precautions prescribed by the NCDC to avoid getting the disease.

Nigeria Update

Ukrainian match postponed after footballers test positive for coronavirus

Published

on

Ukraine’s top professional soccer league said on Saturday it had canceled one of its first post-lockdown matches after several players and staff at Karpaty in the western city of Lviv tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The match between Karpaty and Mariupol from the Azov Sea port of Mariupol was supposed to be played on Sunday behind closed doors.

MORE READING!  I'm thinking of suicide, OOU student delayed from graduating over a course cries out

The football authorities did not specify how many players had been affected by the virus and when a rescheduled match may be played.

“Those infected were immediately transferred to self-isolation. They had no symptoms,” the league said in a statement.

Ukraine’s government has started easing restrictions imposed in March to prevent the spread of the virus and allowed sports events to continue if all participants are tested and comply with other safety requirements.

MORE READING!  Aston Villa manager Dean Smith’s father dies from COVID-19

The soccer authorities decided to resume competitions in the Premier League and the Cup with no spectators. Two of Ukraine’s most famous clubs, Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk, are scheduled to meet on Sunday.

Ukraine has reported 23,304 cases, including 696 deaths from the coronavirus as of May 30.

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

La Liga clubs free to start full training from Monday

Published

on

Football: La Liga season to resume on June 11

Clubs in Spain’s top two soccer divisions can hold full training sessions from Monday for the first time since returning to activity after action was halted in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, organisers La Liga have said.

“Clubs will begin collective training on June 1 after the government’s latest health order on the easing of restrictions,” La Liga said in a statement on Saturday.

Teams returned to individual training at the start of May before progressing to training in groups of up 10 players two weeks later, and groups of 14 players from last Monday.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: T. B Joshua speaks on Sanwo-Olu, wearing of face masks

The top-flight will resume on June 11 without fans attending, with Sevilla taking on Real Betis, and with matches potentially to be played every day of the week until the season is concluded on July 19.

All organised football in Spain was provisionally suspended on March 12 as the virus ravaged the country, but the rate of infection has slowed significantly.

MORE READING!  Man allegedly rejected by Isolo General Hospital in Lagos over COVID-19 fears is dead

Thirty-nine people died in the last week compared with a daily death toll in the hundreds a month ago, the health ministry said on Friday.

NAN

Continue Reading

General

JUST IN: Wanted COVID-19 patient in Abia comes out of hiding

Published

on

coronavirus

The COVID-19 patient, Emmanuel Ononiwu, who was declared wanted by the Abia State Government after he bolted from a holding facility in Aba has reportedly submitted himself to the medical team for treatment.

This was disclosed Saturday afternoon by the Information Commissioner; Chief John Okiyi-Kalu.

According to Okiyi-Kalu, Ononiwu is now in medical custody and currently at the isolation centre in Amachara, Umuahia South Local Government Area of the state.

MORE READING!  Aston Villa manager Dean Smith’s father dies from COVID-19

Ononiwu was said to have reported at the Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH), Aba, with his family, including his wife, at 8.05 am Saturday.

He was said to have been immediately moved by a state rapid response ambulance to the Abia State Specialist Hospital and Diagnostic Center, Amachara, Umuahia, for isolation and management.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Cases in Oyo firm, iSON Xperiences, rise to 151

Samples will be collected from his wife and other family members for testing while active contract tracing has commenced.

Meanwhile, three patients who are currently at the isolation centre, including the 19 years old man from Afugiri, Umuahia, 30 years old man from Ofeme, Umuahia, and the Olokoro Umuahia returnee from Lagos who came to plan the burial of a relation who died in Kano have recovered.

MORE READING!  Hydroxychloroquine: PTF on COVID-19 backs WHO, cautions NAFDAC

They have tested negative to the virus two consecutive times and are expected to leave the facility Saturday, as arrangements have been concluded at the time of filing the report, for them to leave isolation facility.

Continue Reading




Trending