Connect with us

Crime

US offers $15m reward for information leading to arrest of Venezuela’s President

Published

Nicolás Maduro

The United States Government has offered a $15m reward for any information leading to the arrest of Venezuela’s President, Nicolás Maduro.

The announcement came after the United States Department of Justice indicted Venezuela’s socialist leader Nicolas Maduro and several key aides on charges of narco-terrorism on Thursday, March 26.

Maduro and more than a dozen Venezuelan officials including the country’s chief justice were charged with narco-terrorism. The socialist leader and other Venezuelan officials were accused of conspiring with Colombian rebels “to flood the United States with cocaine”.

The US Department of Justice said;

“We estimate that somewhere between 200 and 250 metric tonnes of cocaine are shipped out of Venezuela by these routes. Those 250 metric tonnes equates to 30 million lethal doses.

“The Venezuelan people deserve a transparent, responsible, representative government that serves the needs of the people – and that does not…. engage in illicit narcotics trafficking.

“These individuals violated the public trust by facilitating shipments of narcotics from Venezuela, including control over planes that leave from a Venezuelan airbase.”

Maduro and more than a dozen Venezuelan officials including the country’s chief justice were charged with narco-terrorism. The socialist leader and other Venezuelan officials were accused of conspiring with Colombian rebels “to flood the United States with cocaine”.

MORE READING!  Man to die for killing his 62-year-old father with iron rod in Lagos

The US Department of Justice said;

We estimate that somewhere between 200 and 250 metric tonnes of cocaine are shipped out of Venezuela by these routes. Those 250 metric tonnes equates to 30 million lethal doses.

“The Venezuelan people deserve a transparent, responsible, representative government that serves the needs of the people – and that does not…. engage in illicit narcotics trafficking.

“These individuals violated the public trust by facilitating shipments of narcotics from Venezuela, including control over planes that leave from a Venezuelan airbase.”

Mr Maduro narrowly won a presidential election in April 2013 after the death of his mentor, President Hugo Chávez. He was elected to a second term in May 2018 in an election seen as flawed by international observers.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG bans street trading, hawking

Venezuela has experienced economic collapse, inflation was 800,000% last year and three million people have left the country.

Though opposition leader, Juan Guaidó who has won the support of many in the country as well as US and EU leaders has continuously accused President Maduro of being unfit for office, the socialist leader has however remained in power and is backed by Russia, China and Cuba.

MORE READING!  20-year-old trainee cleric rapes girl, 10, in Osogbo

Crime

Minister of Justice takes over trial of kidnap Kingpin Wadume, 19 others

Published

on

Wadume Soldiers

The Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar  Malami has taken over the prosecution of alleged kidnap kingpin, Alhaji Hamisu Bala, also known as Wadume (33 years) and 19 others charged with terrorism, kidnapping and dealing with prohibited arms.

The case commenced via a 16-count charge filed on January 21 this year, by Simon Lough (an Assistant Commissioner of Police) in the name of the Inspector General of Police (IGP).

A senior lawyer from the Federal Ministry of Justice, Magaji Labaran told a Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday that the AGF has taken over the prosecution of the case pursuant to his power under Section 174(2) of the Constitution.

Labaran said the case file was handed to his office the previous day. He noted that only six, out of the 20 defendants, were present in court.

MORE READING!  Driver jailed 10 years for importing hard drugs

He sought a short adjournment to enable him to put things in order and liaise with the arresting and investigating agencies to ensure that all the defendants are brought to court.

Lawyers to the defendants, including Y. D. Dagana, M. I. Tola and Yakubu Philemon did not object to the request for an adjournment.

Philemon, who represented the 16 to 19 defendants, said his clients were absent in court because of the current inter-state lockdown.

Justice Binta Nyako adjourned till June 8 for arraignment.

Read Also: Kidnap suspect Wadume’s trial stalled as military fails to release defendants Wadume and others were arrested in Taraba State following last year’s ambush on a team of policemen, who had gone to effect his arrest. About three policemen lost their lives in the incident.

Ten soldiers, including a Captain and two policemen, are among the19 people charged with Wadume.

MORE READING!  How I got Salawa Abeni's nvde photos, 19-year-old blackmailer confesses

The soldiers are Ahmed Tijani Balarabe (Captain), David Isiah (Staff Sgt), Ibrahim Mohammed (Sgt), Bartholomew Obanye (Cpl), Mohammed Nura (Private), Okoroze Gideon (L/Cpl), Markus Michael (Cpl), Nvenaweimoemi Akpagra (L/Cpl), Abdullahi Adamu (Staff Sgt) and Ebele Emmanuel (Private).

The policemen are Aondona A. Iorbee (ASP) and Aliyu Dadje (Inspr).

Others are: Auwalu Bala (a. k. a Omo Razor), Uba Bala (a. k. a Uba Delu), Ahmad Suleiman (a. k. a Dan Ball), Bashir Waziri (a. k. a Baba Runs), Zubairu Abdullahi (a. k. a Basho), Hafizu Bala (a. k. a Mai welder) and Rayyanu A. Abdul.

They were, in one of the counts, alleged to have, “between February and April 2019 in Takum Taraba State, while acting in concert and armed with guns and other offensive weapons attacked and kidnapped one Usman Garba at his filling station in Takum and demanded and collected a ransom of N106.3miliion before he was released and thereby committed an offence contrary to section 15(1) of Terrorism (prevention) Amendment Act 2013.

They were, in another count, alleged to have “while acting in concert and armed guns and other offensive weapons committed acts of terrorism when you attacked and killed Insp. Mark Ediale, Sgt Usman Danzumi, Sgt Dahiru Musa, Babajide Owolabi and Faruk Bashir in Gidin Waya Ibi LGA, Taraba State, in order to rescue Alh. Hamisu Bala ‘M’ 33yrs (a.k.a Wadume) a notorious kidnapped king pin, who was arrested in connection with several cases of kidnapping and the attacked and kidnapped of one Usman Garba (aka Mayo) where a ransom of N106million was demanded and collected and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 1(2) of Terrorism (Prevention) Amendment Act 2013.

Continue Reading

Crime

We sold three cars to secure my dad’s release from kidnappers – Archbishop Joesph Masin’s son

Published

on

Three cars were sold to raise the ransom for abducted Nasarawa State Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria [CAN], Archbishop Joseph Masin.

This was disclosed by the archbishop’s first son, Bishop Miracle Masin, on Tuesday.

According to Bishop Miracle, he sold the cars belonging to him, his wife and his father’s before he could raise the ransom to secure his father’s release. He added that some wellwisher also contributed funds to secure his father’s release.

WuzupNigeria reports that Archbishop Joseph was abducted at his residence in Bukan-Sidi, Lafia Local Government Area of Nasarawa State.

The cleric decried the harsh treatment meted to his father, who is also the General Overseer, Word of God Worldwide Gospel City.

MORE READING!  Fingerprints on fire extinguisher used to smash Vera Uwaila Omozuwa led to suspect's arrest

The Bishop, however, refused to disclose the amount paid by the family.

He explained that they started negotiations with the kidnapers from N45m, noting that when the kidnappers checked his father’s contacts on his phone and saw the calibre of persons there, they jacked up the ransom to N50m.

He said,

“Millions of naira was paid but we are not ready to disclose it now. The pressure was so much but we thank God for everything. The negotiations began from the day he was kidnapped till he was released on Saturday, May 30 around 11.45pm. He got home on Sunday around 4am.”

Miracle noted that the entire family was delighted to have his father back in good condition.

MORE READING!  Twitter: BABCOCK student called out for allegedly raping 24 girls (Photos)

He added,

“My father didn’t even know where he was until he met some people, who were running away from him until one of them was bold to come close and ask him what happened. They later took him to a place where we met him in.”

While describing the kidnappers as beasts, he said his father was left in a bush and was sleeping on stones with his shorts.

MORE READING!  20-year-old trainee cleric rapes girl, 10, in Osogbo

He added,

“For those days, my father couldn’t eat. They were bringing food but he couldn’t eat because he was not sure of what was in the food and he didn’t trust them.

“They released him along Eggon but the ransom was actually paid in Obi.”

While expressing his gratitude to Governor Abdullahi Sule, his deputy, Dr Emmanuel Akabe, and the state Commissioner of Police, Mr Bola Longe, Miracle pointed out that the state government was not involved in the payment of the ransom.

He called on the government to boost security across the state to tackle the issue of kidnapping in the state.

Continue Reading

Crime

Twitter: BABCOCK student called out for allegedly raping 24 girls (Photos)

Published

on

A Babcock student, Godknows Adolphus Owhor is currently trending on Twitter following allegations of rape against him.

The student’s alleged victims came forward with their story after Twitter user @caramelangiee shared screenshots of a DM she got.

Another lady also accused him of defiling her when she was just 14.

Other ladies came out to accuse Owhor of rape including an alleged cousin.

MORE READING!  Minister of Justice takes over trial of kidnap Kingpin Wadume, 19 others

See screenshots below:

Continue Reading




Trending