Connect with us

Sports

Valencia sack Marcelino as coach

Published

Marcelino has been sacked as Valencia coach after an indifferent start to the season, the Spanish La Liga club said on Wednesday.

The 54-year-old, who won the Copa del Rey and secured Champions League football last season, leaves after two campaigns at the helm.

“Valencia told Marcelino Garcia Toral on Wednesday that he is no longer first team coach,” a club statement said.

“The club would like to thank him for his work and dedication during his time at our entity and wish him success for the future.”

The departure had been mooted in what turned out to be a tumultuous pre-season for the club, with local media reporting the coach was not happy with owner Peter Lim over transfer policy.

MORE READING!  Arsenal announce plans to lay off some staff

It appeared that the differences had been resolved. However, after taking four points from their opening three games, they have taken the decision to replace Marcelino.

Reports across the country suggest former Spain Under-21 head coach and ex-Real Madrid assistant Albert Celades will be appointed later on Wednesday.

The upheaval comes at a crucial time for Valencia, who travel to La Liga champions Barcelona on Saturday, before visiting Chelsea in their opening Champions League group game next week.

MORE READING!  Italian football club Roma sold for $700M

Sports

Bayern rout Chelsea to reach Champions League quarter-finals

Published

on

Robert Lewandowski struck twice as Bayern Munich cruised past Chelsea 4-1 on Saturday to reach the Champions League quarter-finals with a 7-1 aggregate victory and remain on course for a treble of titles.

The Bavarian giants were heavy favorites to progress following a 3-0 first-leg win at Stamford Bridge pre-lockdown, and they got off to the perfect start when Lewandowski stroked home a penalty on 10 minutes.

MORE READING!  Arsenal announce plans to lay off some staff

The Polish hitman then turned provider as he laid on a pass for Ivan Perisic to tuck in the second soon after.

Chelsea was second best for much of the first half and was left frustrated when Callum Hudson-Odoi’s fine finish was ruled out by VAR. However, the visitors did pull one back on the stroke of half time when Tammy Abraham pounced upon an error from Manuel Neuer.

MORE READING!  Messi helps Barca sink Napoli to reach last eight

Frank Lampard’s men improved after the break, but Bayern remained the greater threat. Substitute Corentin Tolisso made sure of the win before Lewandowski’s bullet header sealed a 7-1 success on aggregate.

Bayern will now look ahead to a one-off quarter-final showdown with Barcelona in Lisbon on Friday, August 14.

Continue Reading

Sports

Messi helps Barca sink Napoli to reach last eight

Published

on

A fired-up Lionel Messi led Barcelona to a 3-1 win at home to Napoli on Saturday (Aug 8) for a 4-2 aggregate victory which took the club into the Champions League quarter-finals for the 13th consecutive season where they face Bayern Munich.

The Catalans had a shaky start but took the lead in the 10th minute with a powerful header from a corner by Clement Lenglet before Messi scored a superb second in the 23rd, seeing off four defenders to curl the ball into the far bottom corner.

MORE READING!  EPL: Arteta chooses between Willian, Coutinho

Messi had the ball in the net again soon after following a superb team move but the goal was harshly ruled out for handball by the Argentine following a VAR review, although Messi later won a penalty which Luis Suarez converted for Barca’s third.

Napoli got one back when Lorenzo Insigne converted a spot-kick at the end of the first half and were the better side after the interval but Barca survived to set up a mouth-watering clash with Bayern in the Final Eight tournament in Lisbon next Friday.

MORE READING!  Aubameyang to commit future to Arsenal with three-year-deal

Messi had sounded the alarm after Barca’s rusty performance in the 1-1 draw in the first leg back in February, saying they stood no chance of winning Europe’s top prize, which has eluded them since 2015, unless they improved.

He would have been worried by Barca’s stuttering start which saw Napoli swarm all over the home side’s area and Dries Mertens clip the crossbar in the second minute with a scuffed shot.

But Napoli’s slack defending allowed Lenglet to score with a free header which settled Barca’s nerves while Messi effectively killed the tie off with his goal and by winning the penalty by chasing down Kalidou Koulibaly in the area and earning a foul.

However, the fact Napoli ended the game so well, with Hirving Lozano hitting the post and Arkadiusz Milik’s header ruled out for offside, added to the sense that Barca will struggle to beat Bayern, who thrashed Chelsea 7-1 on aggregate.

MORE READING!  Champions League: Chelsea’s squad to face Bayern Munich at Allianz Arena
Continue Reading

Sports

Police arrest NFL Star, Derrius Guice, over domestic violence

Published

on

Police in Virginia on Friday, August 7 have arrested NFL star identified as Derrius Guice on charges stemming from “three domestic-related incidents”.

According to the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office, the 23-year-old running back was taken into custody on Friday on multiple charges, including one count of felony strangulation.

Guice faces one count of strangulation, three counts of assault and battery, and one count destruction of property, a spokesman for the Loudon County Sheriff’s Office in Virginia said in an email.

MORE READING!  EPL: Arteta chooses between Willian, Coutinho

Sheriff’s office director of media relations and communications Kraig Troxell said that the incidents happened in February, March, and April at Guice’s home in Ashburn, Virginia and the sheriff’s office was made aware of the allegations on July 22.

Police said the incidents were first reported to the Montgomery County Police Department in Maryland where the victim lives.

The allegations were investigated by the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Domestic Violence Unit in coordination with the Montgomery County Police Department.

MORE READING!  Aubameyang to commit future to Arsenal with three-year-deal

Guice has since been released on a $10,000 unsecured bond.

In response to his arrest, Washington’s NFL team have released the running back.

They issued a statement saying,

“On Thursday we learned of a potential domestic violence-related incident involving RB Derrius Guice.”

“We immediately alerted the National Football League and have continued to work with them during this process.”

“We then met with Derrius to inform him that he was excused from all team activity pending a review of the matter.”

“This afternoon we learned that there were multiple charges filed against Derrius.”

“Upon review of the nature of these charges ad following internal discussions, we have decided to release Derrius immediately.”

Guice was drafted by Washington in 2018.

MORE READING!  Man United flop, Alexis Sanchez, joins Inter Milan
Continue Reading




Trending