Connect with us

General

Vodafone names Heineken’s Van Boxmeer as new chairman

Published

Vodafone, the world’s second-biggest mobile operator, has recruited Jean-Francois Van Boxmeer, the current CEO of brewer Heineken, to succeed Gerard Kleisterlee as chairman from November this year.

The British company said Van Boxmeer, a Belgian, will join as a non-executive director on July 28.

He has been Heineken’s CEO since 2005, presiding over a nearly threefold increase in its share price through a combination of strategic transactions and organic growth. He will hand over the role to Asia-Pacific chief, Dolf van den Brink, in June.

MORE READING!  SARS extorted me in Gbagada, Lagos man alleges

Van Boxmeer “is a very experienced businessman, with an in-depth knowledge of our geographic regions and he brings very strong sales and customer focus,” said Kleisterlee, who has been Vodafone’s chairman for nine years.

“I am greatly looking forward to working with (CEO) Nick (Read) and the executive team to drive forward Vodafone’s strategy, ensuring that we create significant value for all stakeholders,” Van Boxmeer said.

Earlier this month Vodafone reported a 2.6% rise in full-year core earnings and maintained its dividend, bucking a corporate trend to cut or scrap payouts due to the coronavirus crisis.

MORE READING!  On the run COVID-19 patients worry FG

Shares in Vodafone, down 12% so far in 2020, closed Thursday at 129 pence, valuing the business at 34.5 billion pounds ($42.1 billion).

Reuters

General

Babcock student accused of raping 24 girls says what happened (Video)

Published

on

A student of Babcock University accused of raping 24 girls including his cousin has finally broken his silence.

Godknows ‘Yangy’ Adolphus Owhor, a Babcock University student accused of sexually assaulting 24 girls has finally reacted.

Reacting to the allegations of raping 24 girls including his cousin on social media, Yangy has denied it all.

MORE READING!  We will not turn a blind eye to racism, Pope Francis reacts to George Floyd's death

He went on to reveal that he almost committed suicide after he was accused of raping the girls as he denied ever meeting any of the ladies.

Yangy was accused of luring girls to chill with him and then take advantage of the girls.

Watch the video below:

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Africa’s cases hit 150,000- WHO
Continue Reading

General

Video: I almost committed suicide, says Babcock student accused of raping 24 girls and his cousin

Published

on

A student of Babcock university accused of raping 24 girls including his cousin has finally broken his silence.

Godknows ‘Yangy’ Adolphus Owhor, a Babcock university student accused of sexually assaulting 24 girls has finally reacted.

Reacting to the allegations of raping 24 girls including his cousin on social media, Yangy denied it all.

MORE READING!  German police to investigate after poisoned drinks were found in supermarkets

He went on to reveal that he almost committed suicide after he was accused of raping the girls as he denied ever meeting any of the ladies.

Yangy was accused of luring girls to chill with him and then take advantage of the girls.

Watch the video below:

Continue Reading

General

Scores killed as Boko Haram fighters flee camps in Borno

Published

on

Following the sustained onslaught against Boko Haram and Islamic State of West African Province ( ISWAP) by troops, scores of the terrorists have been killed while fleeing their camps in Borno State, The Nation has learnt.

A statement by the Coordinator Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche, disclosed that troops of Army Super Camp 6 Konduga, Borno State in conjunction with Borno State Civilian Joint Task Force:

“Conducted a deliberate ambush operation against BH/ISWAP Terrorists at Lawanti River line and neutralized 6 of them, while others escaped with gunshot wounds.”

According to the statement, some of the dislodged insurgents surrendered to troops and confessed that their camps were in disarray following continued bombardment by troops.

A cache of arms and ammunition belonging to the terror groups including Gun Truck, Anti-Aircraft Gun, 2 AK 47 Rifles, and Anti-Aircraft ammunition were captured and destroyed by troops.

However, one officer was killed, while another was wounded and is currently receiving treatment in a military medical facility, the statement added.

MORE READING!  Pastor drums support for security agencies

The statement read:

“Furthermore, resulting from sustained artillery bombardments and ground assaults against BH/ISWAP Terrorists hideouts, more are surrendering to troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE. On 2 June 2020, 3 of them namely: Mohammed Babagana, Modu Jugudun and Alhaji Usman surrendered to troops of Delta Company at Strong Response Area Pulka in Gwoza LGA of Borno State.

“The trio confessed to having escaped from their Boko Haram Camp in Dabulari Village, Bama LGA of Borno State after a heavy artillery bombardment of the Camp by troops that led to the death of many of their erstwhile colleagues. During interrogation, they confessed regretting their actions and called on their former colleagues to give up the struggle and save themselves from unprofitable death.

“Relatedly, on 2 June 2020, the combined troops of 19 Brigade and 401 Special Forces Brigade conducted a robust clearance operation at Doron Naira and Magaji. In Doran Naira, troops recovered one 120mm Mortar base plate, one religious book, metal links for-Aircraft ammunition and a roll of copper wire abandoned by the Boko Haram criminals before the arrival of the own troops. Also, at Daban Magaji, troops had an encounter with some Boko Haram Terrorists hibernating in the area.

“The valiant troops, through superior fire neutralized 9 of them. Additionally, the troops destroyed one Boko Haram Gun Truck as well as captured one Anti-Aircraft Gun, 2 AK 47 Rifles, and a large cache of Anti-Aircraft ammunition. However, one officer paid the supreme price while one soldier was wounded in action. The soldier wounded in action is currently receiving treatment in our military medical facility.”

It continued that:

“Similarly, on 1 June 2020, troops of 144 Battalion deployed in Madagali, Adamawa State briskly cleared BHT Staging Area and Crossing Points at Lemu, Gajinji and Tsakiraku. During the encounter at Gajinji, troops neutralized one terrorist and arrested 2 adult females namely: Aishatu Manye and Kelune Mate identified to be the local BHT commander’s wives.

“In the North West Region, on 3 June 2020, troops of Operation WHIRL PUNCH acting on credible information raided a bandits’ Camp at Kurmin Dande in Chikun LGA of Kaduna State. During the operation, troops made contact and neutralized 2 of the bandits while others escaped with gunshot wounds. The troops recovered 2 Dane guns, two motorcycles, one locally fabricated short gun, 4 cutlasses, 3 cell phones, 2 small solar panels and some clothing items before destroying their camp.

“Consequently, the Chief of Army Staff, congratulates the gallant troops for their resilience, courage and dedication to the noble cause of defending our fatherland. The High Command of the Armed Forces of Nigeria also encourages the troops to continue to be steadfast and focused as they sustain the onslaught against the enemies of our nation.”

 

MORE READING!  On the run COVID-19 patients worry FG
Continue Reading




Trending