Connect with us

Coronavirus

WHO to resume trial of hydroxychloroquine on COVID-19

Published

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says it will resume its trial of hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of coronavirus (COVID-19) patients.

WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, stated this in official twitter account of the UN health agency.

According to him, the hydroxychloroquine section of the WHO’s Solidarity Trial can resume after being paused temporarily on May 25.

The trial’s Data Safety and Monitoring Committee had halted the study as a precaution in response to safety concerns raised by an observational study published in the Lancet.

Ghebreyesus said the Data Safety Monitoring Board’s review had been completed.

“Last week, the Executive Group of the Solidarity Trial decided to implement a temporary pause of the hydroxychloroquine arm of the trial, because of concerns raised about the safety of the drug.

“This decision was taken as a precaution while the safety data were reviewed; the Data Safety and Monitoring Committee of the Solidarity Trial has been reviewing the data.

“On the basis of the available mortality data, the members of the committee recommended that there are no reasons to modify the trial protocol.

“The Executive Group received this recommendation and endorsed the continuation of all arms of the Solidarity Trial, including hydroxychloroquine.

“The Executive Group will communicate with the principal investigators in the trial about resuming the hydroxychloroquine arm,’’ he said.
The director-general said the Data Safety and Monitoring Committee would continue to closely monitor the safety of all therapeutics being tested in the Solidarity Trial.

“So far, more than 3,500 patients have been recruited in 35 countries.

“WHO is committed to accelerating the development of effective therapeutics, vaccines and diagnostics as part of our commitment to serving the world with science, solutions and solidarity,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, Nigeria, on May 27, declared that it would continue with hydroxychloroquine clinical trials on COVID-19 patients.

MORE READING!  WASSCE 2020: We didn’t issue any timetable, says WAEC

Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, the Director-General of National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) said the country would continue with the drug, in spite of the initial warning by WHO to discontinue using it.

”I do not know the data that they’re looking at, whether it’s from the Caucasian population or from the African population.

”If the data they’re looking at, and the reason for suspending the trials, is from the Caucasian population, then it may be justified.

“But I don’t think we have data from the African population yet, because our genetic makeup is different.

”If medical doctors, research scientists, pharmacists, herbal experts work together, we should conclude the clinical trial in three-four months.
“The narrative might change afterward but for now, we believe in hydroxychloroquine,” she said.

(NAN)

MORE READING!  Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi tests positive for Covid-19

News

Nigeria records 575 new cases of COVID-19, total now 29,286

Published

on

Nigeria on Monday night recorded 575 new cases of the Coronavirus.

According to a tweet from the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC), Lagos State recorded 123 new cases with the Federal Capital Territory having 100 new cases

Other states with reported cases follow: Delta-58 Edo-52 Ogun-42 Katsina-24 Bayelsa-23 Rivers-22 Borno-19 Plateau-18 Ondo-18 Oyo-17 Kwara-15 Osun-13 Enugu-9 Nasarawa-7 Abia-6 Cross River-5 Kaduna-3 Ekiti-1

MORE READING!  Don Jazzy urges strict compliance to hygiene in barbing salons

654 persons have so far died from the virus with 11,828 patients discharged, haven recovered

 

Continue Reading

News

Coronavirus: 201 health workers test positive in Edo

Published

on

The Edo State Government has reaffirmed its commitment towards the protection and welfare of the state’s health workforce, especially frontline workers who are putting their lives on the line to support the government’s efforts at containing the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in the state.

Speaking to journalists in Benin City, Commissioner for Health, Patrick Okundia, commended the resilience, sacrifice, and commitment of health workers in Edo State, noting that they have shown uncommon resolve in curtailing the spread of the virus and protecting other citizens during the outbreak.

MORE READING!  Man, 72, arrested for pushing 86-year old man of lift claims he did it to protect himself, wife against Covid-19

The commissioner disclosed that a total of 201 health workers have tested positive to the virus since the outbreak of the pandemic in the state, urging the frontline staff to ensure safety precautions are taken when treating any patient.

Mr. Okundia, who reassured that the Governor Godwin Obaseki-led administration will not relent in ensuring the welfare of the state’s health workforce, said the government will continue to intensify efforts to contain the pandemic across communities in the state and protect Edo people.

He, however, harped on the need to protect the elderly and persons with underlying ailments who are vulnerable and most affected by the disease in the state.

MORE READING!  COVID-19 panel member dies in Benue

While noting that persons who are aged 60 and above make up only five percent of the state’s population, he added that over 50 percent of the deaths recorded so far fall within the age category of the population.

Mr. Okundia said the state has discharged 87 more COVID-19 patients who have now tested negative to the virus following their treatment at the state isolation facilities, noting: “Edo has now recorded a total of 805 discharged persons, 6,470 suspected cases, 1,383 confirmed cases and 47 deaths.”

MORE READING!  Benue University VC tests positive for Coronavirus

The commissioner added: “We urge residents to support the government’s efforts at containing the pandemic by complying with all guidelines. Stay at home and observe all precautionary measures against the spread of the infectious disease, including regular handwashing with soap under running water and the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers. Cover your mouth and nose properly when sneezing and/or coughing”.

Continue Reading

General

COVID-19 panel member dies in Benue

Published

on

Indian healer who kissed hands to cure Covid-19 dies from the virus

Deputy Vice-chancellor (DVC) Administration, of the Benue State University (BSU) Professor Godwin Ior Achinge has died of complications arising from COVID-19.

Professor Achinge, who was the Vice-chairman of the Benue State Emergency Committee on COVID 19 died in Jos, Plateau state on Sunday, it was learnt on Sunday.

His death came 24 hours after Governor Ortom announced that apart from his wife, Eunice, who tested positive, Professor Achinge was also infected with the virus.

MORE READING!  Africa records over 444,000 cases of COVID-19

News of his death sent shock waves into the spines of many especially the COVID 19 Committee and Benue State University Community.

Those who wrote condolence messages on his Facebook page described him as a perfect gentleman and easy going.

Others described him as being instrumental to the success of the fight against the spread of COVID 19 in Benue state.

MORE READING!  President Macron names new Prime Minister
Continue Reading




Trending