Connect with us

Sports

Why I shunned Barcelona – Odion Ighalo

Published

Odion Ighalo

Super Eagles striker, Odion Ighalo has revealed why he rejected Barcelona’s offer in the January transfer window.

The China-based forward was linked with a possible move to Barcelona but the transfer did not materialize.

The former Watford man ended up joining Shanghai Greenland Shenhua.

Ighalo said he turned down a move to the Camp Nou because he was not assured of playing time.

MORE READING!  Ighalo to remain in Man Utd till 2021

The Super Eagles frontman also said that he wanted to secure his future as his contract with Changchun Yatai was running out.

”The deal was for me to play on loan for a season, but I was not ready to take chances as my playing minutes could not be guaranteed and at end of the season I will be a free agent,” the striker said in a Score report.

”I preferred to secure my future by signing a longer deal in China instead and that was why the Barcelona move fell through.”

Barcelona had been in the market for a striker to provide cover for their hitman Luis Suarez.

MORE READING!  Football: La Liga season to resume on June 11

The La Liga leaders eventually signed Ghanaian Kevin-Prince Boateng on loan from Sassuolo until the end of the season.

Sports

Rohr must win trophies, not just qualifying for tournaments – Akanni

Published

on

I will accept a pay cut to coach Eagles- Rohr

An ex-international footballer, Wahidi Akanni, on Tuesday said with the re-appointment of Gernot Rohr as the manager of the Super Eagles, winning trophies should be his major focus rather than qualifying for major tournaments.

Akanni said this in an interview with Newsmen in Lagos.

The Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) recently renewed  Rorh’s contract as coach of the Super Eagles for another two and half years.

“Well, having been on the job now for sometime, he’s got a good knowledge of the players in the team, I will expect to see a certain play pattern for the team that can make him achieve what NFF has set for him.

“Nigerians will expect better results than just qualifying for tournaments. Nigeria needs to win trophies.

“It is no longer enough that we qualify for major tournaments, we ought to have moved passed that and set new goals,” Akanni said.

Recently, the minister of Youths and Sports, Mr Sunday Dare, stated that the NFF could terminate the appointment of Rohr whenever they felt he was falling short.

MORE READING!  I don’t have a girlfriend because it's hard to find a balance- Anthony Joshua reveals

But Akanni wondered whether Rohr needed such reminders at this time.

“My opinion will be that, he’s just renewed his contract, he should be allowed to work.

“Dangling harsh or sack tunes on him now is not good for the super eagles, in as much as I am not a fan of foreign coaches.

“He was employed as the coach, he should be allowed to work and until he doesn’t perform, then he can be relieved of his job,” the former Lagos FA boss said.

NAN

MORE READING!  Is Cristiano Ronaldo expecting another baby?
Continue Reading

Sports

George Floyd killing: FIFA asks leagues to use ‘common sense’ over protest

Published

on

George Floyd killing: FIFA asks leagues to use ‘common sense’ over protest

World soccer governing body,  FIFA,  has asked competition organisers to use “common sense” with players who display messages of protest over the death of George Floyd.

Recall that George Floyd, an unarmed black man, was killed by the police in the United States.

FIFA regulations barred players from displaying any “political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images” on their kit.

Since 2014, this ban had included undershirts — a response to players lifting up their shirts to display a message when scoring.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: I tested positive after the premier league suspension, Brendan Rogers, reveals

However, several players protested during matches in Germany’s Bundesliga at the weekend, with Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho and Achraf Hakimi displaying undershirts with the message, “Justice for George Floyd” on Sunday.

Schalke 04 defender Weston McKennie, displayed the same message on his armband in another game while Borussia Moenchengladbach’s Marcus Thuram knelt to honour Floyd after scoring against Union Berlin.

READ ALSO: Ronaldo snubs C. Ronaldo names Messi as number one

The German Football Association said it was reviewing the incidents where the message was shown.

MORE READING!  Football: La Liga season to resume on June 11

In a statement on Tuesday, FIFA said it “fully understands the depth of sentiment and concerns expressed by many footballers in light of the tragic circumstances of the George Floyd case.

It added that applying the laws of the game was the responsibility of competition organisers, such as domestic leagues, who FIFA said “should use common sense and have in consideration the context surrounding the events.

“FIFA had repeatedly expressed itself to be resolutely against racism and discrimination of any kind and recently strengthened its own disciplinary rules with a view to helping to eradicate such behaviours.

“FIFA itself has promoted many anti-racism campaigns which frequently carry the anti-racism message at matches organised under its own auspices,” it added in the statement.

 

MORE READING!  George Floyd killing: FIFA asks leagues to use ‘common sense’ over protest

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reuters

Continue Reading

General

Mayweather offers to cover funeral costs for George Floyd

Published

on

Boxing great Floyd Mayweather has offered to cover the funeral expenses for George Floyd, the 46-year-old African-American man whose death while in police custody in Minneapolis prompted protests across the United States.

The former five-division world champion’s promotional company, Mayweather Productions, confirmed on Twitter that he had made the offer, and several local media reports have said the family have accepted.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: I tested positive after the premier league suspension, Brendan Rogers, reveals

Mayweather Productions and the boxer’s agency have yet to respond to a request for comment.

Derek Chauvin, the 44-year-old Minneapolis police officer who kneeled on Floyd, has been arrested on third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter charges. Three other officers involved in the arrest have not been charged.

The incident has prompted an outcry across the United States and abroad, with numerous pro athletes and leagues speaking out, including NBA great Michael Jordan and golf’s 15-times major champion Tiger Woods.

MORE READING!  Football: La Liga season to resume on June 11

Steve Bisciotti, the owner of the NFL’s Baltimore Ravens, pledged $1 million for social justice reform and said a group of former and current players would decide which organisations benefit.

“We must all discover new ways to unite. We must all work to break the cycle of systematic racial injustice,” Bisciotti said in a statement.

Continue Reading




Trending