Connect with us

Metro

Why we did not die in Ondo explosion, truck driver reveals

Published

A motorist, Mr Richard Solomon, and his motor boy, who escaped the Ondo State explosion, have acknowledged the role of the police in their survival.

WuzupNigeria reports that the explosion occurred on Akure-Owo Expressway in Ilu Abo town in Akure North Local Government Area of the state around 1am on Saturday.

Several houses, school, church and the expressway were destroyed in the incident.

Solomon, who witnessed the explosion, said he and his motor assistant escaped death because they heeded to the police warning.

According to the police the blast involved a vehicle carrying explosive devices to Edo State.

Speaking on Sunday at the University of Medical Sciences Teaching Hospital, Akure, Solomon said the incident was mysterious to them as they had never witnessed such an occurrence in their lives.

MORE READING!  Nigerian lady looks gorgeous after shaving off her hair entirely (Photos)

The 36-year-old truck driver explained that he and his assistant, Jackson Abdulahi, were coming from Jos, Plateau State, as they were about to reach the blast point, they met some mobile policemen who informed them of the danger ahead and warned them not to move further.

He said,

“We were coming from Jos, Plateau State. We are carrying some goods to Ogun State and about few meters to the blast spot, a mobile policeman flagged us down and told us that there was danger ahead, that we should not move further.

“I then parked the vehicle by the roadside. We sat inside the vehicle and suddenly, we heard a very loud sound and a saw a fire in the sky, everywhere turned bright as if we were in the daytime.

“As we sat down inside the truck, watching what was going on, an object from nowhere forcefully came and entered into our vehicle and it cut the leg of my motor boy ( assistant)

“Yet we did not move from the spot. We were a bit confused, we didn’t know what to do, my boy’s leg was bleeding. It was like half a kilometre to where we were. After the explosion had gone down, the policemen came to meet us and showed us another alternative way. I later moved the truck to Shasha market (Akure) and brought the boy to the hospital.”

Solomon, who was not hurt by the explosion, said he had been paying for the treatment of his assistant, contrary to the directive of the state governor, Mr Rotimi Akeredolu, that the government would be responsible for the payment of the bills of all the victims.

MORE READING!  'Nobody should blame me', Beautician, Nwala reacts to death of billionaire pastor, Keniebi Okoko

He, however, expressed optimism that the government would refund his money.

 

Metro

JUST IN: NTA News manager kidnapped

Published

on

Nasarawa: Police confirm abduction of CAN Chairman

The Assistant Manager News and Current Affairs of Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) Channel 6 Aba, Mrs Chinyere Okoye has been reportedly kidnapped by gunmen.

Our reporter gathered the incident took place on Wednesday night at Obikabia road off Ogbor Hill, in Obingwa Local Government Area of the state as she was heading back from work.

MORE READING!  My eight-day detention was horrible, wife of journalist arrested because husband criticised Lai Mohammed
Continue Reading

Metro

George Floyd killing: Fiancee begs protesters to forgive police (video)

Published

on

George Floyd killing: Fiancee begs protesters to forgive police

Fiancee to the black man, George Floyd, who died after a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck has spoken about him in an interview.

George’s fiancée, Courteney Ross, said the deceased was a “gentle giant” to those who knew him.

The 46-year-old trucker moved to Minneapolis from Houston about four or five years ago looking for better job opportunities and he was doing well in Minneapolis, it was revealed.

Ross said Floyd’s daughter still lives in Houston, and so do a lot of his family and friends. Ross also called for protesters to forgive the cop who killed George.

“You know, if he was here, he would say that he’s a man of God. He would stand on that firmly,” Ross said.

“He stood up for people, he was there for people when they were down, he loved people that were thrown away,” Ross added.

“We prayed over every meal, we prayed if we were having a hard time, we prayed if we were having a good time.”

READ ALSO: George Floyd death: Sister wants police officers to face murder charge

Ross said she knows the community is hurting, and she hopes they respond in a way that honours Floyd.

“You can’t fight fire with fire. Everything just burns, and I’ve seen it all day, people hate, they’re hating, they’re hating, they’re mad. And he would not want that. He wouldn’t, he wouldn’t, he wouldn’t. He would give grace. I stand on that today. He would still give grace to those people,” she said.

Ross said Floyd’s mother died about a year ago. She believes his mother’s spirit was there with him when he took his last breath.

MORE READING!  'Nobody should blame me', Beautician, Nwala reacts to death of billionaire pastor, Keniebi Okoko

African Americans have reacted in outrage to Ross’ call for forgiveness.

Others who knew Floyd have also spoken about the man he was.

“If anybody knows him, they know he’s not a confrontational person. And I’m not just saying this because that happened to him. Anybody who knows him will tell you he’s not confrontational,” said Floyd’s friend Milton Carney.

Watch the video below;

MORE READING!  Policemen storm Abuja residence, shoot teenager for fleeing

 

Continue Reading

Metro

George Floyd death: Sister wants police officers to face murder charge

Published

on

George Floyd death: Sister wants police officers to face murder charge
The sister of a black man, George Floyd, who died as a result of brutal police response in the US state of Minnesota, demanded murder charges for police officers involved in his death on Wednesday.

“I would like for those officers to be charged with murder because that’s exactly what they did. They murdered my brother; he was crying for help,” Bridgett Floyd told NBC News.

The 46-year-old man died Monday after a Minneapolis police officer kneeled on his neck, despite his repeated pleas that he couldn’t breathe, which sparked mass protests and outcry against police brutality.

MORE READING!  Davido works hard despite his father’s wealth, it's a shame you have such a mindset- Naeto C blasts Burna Boy

Mayor Jacob Frey announced Tuesday that four officers at the scene were fired after Floyd was killed during the arrest.

“This is the right call,” Frey said on Twitter.

He appeared to be in handcuffs in video footage posted on Facebook.

READ ALSO: After 19 years it’s time to police your own country- Trump tells Afghanistan ahead of planned withdrawal of troops

Shortly after Floyd appeared to lose consciousness, but the officer maintained his position on the victim.

MORE READING!  82 years old man stabs his wife, 70+, to death in Imo

Bridgett Floyd voiced concern that her own children could face police brutality when they grow up.

“You never know what could happen when they walk out the door. They’re small kids right now, but one day they’re going to be adults,” she said.

“They need to know how to defend themselves, how to stand up for themselves, how to talk for themselves because if I don’t teach that to them, this world, this cold, cold world will take over my babies,” she said.

Mass protests turned into riots Tuesday after demonstrators surrounded the Minneapolis Police Department 3rd precinct. Windows of the building and police vehicles were smashed and vandalized with spray paint.

MORE READING!  Brother burns his pregnant sister to death for allegedly slapping their mother

“It’s really ugly,” said one protester, according to CBS News. “The police have to understand that this is the climate they have created.”

Police responded with tear gas and flash grenades.

Continue Reading




Trending